Green Lasers

Green Lasers

This is a discussion on Green Lasers within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK...I am just throwing this against the wall to see if it "sticks" or not. It was one of my momentary flashes of brilliance. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Lasers

Administrator

Green Lasers

OK...I am just throwing this against the wall to see if it "sticks" or not.
    It was one of my momentary flashes of brilliance.
    I was thinking about this the other day. Remember when these jerky people were aiming Green Lasers at airplane pilots in the cockpit?
    Following those incidents there was a lot of subsequent TV Talk from Laser Scientist Types that stated that GREEN laser light causes an almost instant & extended period of temporary blindness more than other colors of Laser Light.
    They sell these fairly powerful 5mw ??? pen size green lasers. Since they are so "pocket size" do you think having a Green Laser could have possible Self Defense Applications? I am talking about as an Additional Tool. In addition to Firearm, Knife, CS Spray, Asp baton...whatever? The are reported to be BLINDING out to a fairy good distance.
    I think that I could imagine some possible potential uses for one...being as they are so lightweight & easily carried but, (then again) I have a good imagination.
    Would having the non lethal ability to cause temporary blindness a useful tool for the person "on body" toolbox?
    What say you?

Any/All Comments Welcome.
    LINK TO GREEN LASER INFO - CLICK HERE

Would having the non lethal ability to cause temporary blindness a useful tool for the person "on body" toolbox?
    That's one of the reasons I carry my Z2 combatlight with me. Even in daylight, it's blinding. Any advantage I can, I'll take.
    On a side note, I'd like to see those green lasers as sighting devices. It'd be a nifty change from the standard red.
    Hmm, now that I read the article, I change my mind. Don't want folks tracing the beam back to my hiding spot, in case there's more than one bad guy.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

DC Founder
    You might want to do some more research. The miltary and police are already using green lasers for this purpose. I don't remember the particulars, but remember something that looked sort of like a weapon light that through out a multi-threaded, pulsing green laser light that confused and disoriented the target. I wish Prospector was around, I'm sure he has the particulars since he is in defense development end of things. If I'm not mistaken, I saw the demo of the device on The Military Channel a few months ago.

They have also run green lasers for rifles (not sure about handguns) in Sportsman's Guide's catalog but they are pretty pricey....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Green deff looks different but isit as intimadateing as the red to the bad guy ... For years everyone has seen and knows what the red is..

Also when are we gonna see a Real laser gun then we can discuss whats a better stopper Red or Green

Lead Moderator
    one of the problems it that usually the green lasers are more expensive that the red. That's because they are a lot more complicated to make. And as has already been mentioned, they are a lot easier to see,[B[and[/B] follow back to their source.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

When I'm patrolling the mall with my G36C I always make sure that I have my trusty dual green laser sights. You never know when assassins are going to swing down from the rafters of the food court.

Of course I can technically be using the new blue lasers that aren't going to be available to the other Special Forces for another 5 years, but I'm a traditionalist.

Administrator

Thumbs up Euclidean

Thanks for your addition.
    Yep, thinking about it some more. For the few ounces in additional weight I could see the common sense in tucking a pen type green laser in the old pocket.
    Sure might come in handy for an angry road rage conflict or multiple mildly~agressive intoxicated goofballs.
    Some situations that would not warrant the delivery of a "Toe Tag" where you might just need to remove yourself from a situation without getting a deadly weapon involved.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK I think your idea isn't a bad one but I think you're rabbit hunting with a grenade launcher.

For the hundreds if not thousands of dollars a pen sized green laser pointer would cost at this point, why not instead invest in a top of the line Surefire combat light and trick it out with all the goodies? You could get an Aviator or something else equally cool for that kind of fundage.

It's not as James Bond mind you, but it could accomplish the same thing and have multiple uses as well. Heck it can even be a last ditch impact weapon.

The blinding tactic isn't going to make some assailant roll over and give up, it's going to possibly give you just a split second advantage to get in a better position, draw a gun, kick him in the groin, etc.

And besides there's no room on a pen for a gyroscopic stabilizer. Everyone knows green laser performance is best when accompanied by a holo sight and a gyroscopic stabilizer.

Assistant Administrator
    I was thinking, maybe I'll wait a bit until a pale purple or pink one comes along!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Wink Euclid

"Everyone knows green laser performance is best when accompanied by a holo sight and a gyroscopic stabilizer."

The ones I was thinking about are only selling for about $50.00 to $75.00
    The one shown in my LINK up there is $80.00
    Thought it might be worth it at that price.
    Oh no...I would not spend huge dollars on one.

Even then, dang man you can get a pretty sweet combat light in that price range that could effectively accomplish the same thing in most circumstances and be more useful overall.

Then again my C3 cost me about $115 and everyone laughs at me when I tell them that. Then I show them what 105 or so lumens really looks like and they all start asking where they can get one... so maybe the laser idea isn't so far out there.

To be fair I have heard of people using these bright lights against drunks and zonked out druggies to good effect. The super bright light is just too much to bear when your senses or not normal or your pupils are dilated, etc. Read some of the testimonials on Surefire's website sometime. A good light really is a self defense tool

But still, I just don't see what the laser will accomplish that this other piece of more conventional, more traditional gear won't.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Come on guys, Don't frig with all them lasers,flashlights,saps,night sticks(PR 24's) mace,OC,ASP's. Forget spraying them,hittin' them,shineing a tiny weenie light in their eyes,yelling at them,or trying to stick/cut them with them tiny little boxcutters that you call fightin' knives ------- JUST PULL YOUR WEAPON AND SHOOT THEM---- Don't make this toooooooo hard------ It's not rocket science.---------- P.S Go ahead,I'm ready.

Hey,Just noticed my new AVATAR thingie. How do ya'll like it ? I did it all by myself. PSSSSST, Thanks P95. You can carry anything that you want to.---------

Assistant Administrator
    Thx RSSZ - I'll strap on the BFR! .
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95, Try>>> 52.0grs./H4198/Hornady 350gr. round nose outta that BFR ---I DARE YA !!-----THNX AGAIN-------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links