Ear Protection

This is a discussion on Ear Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When by myself, I always wear in-ear plugs and the muffs. I find that I shoot much better when using both....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ear Protection

When by myself, I always wear in-ear plugs and the muffs.

I find that I shoot much better when using both.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Amplifying (sorry ) on my earlier post...

For indoors, I use plugs and muffs. I have been told that the muffs are a good idea to protect not against conduction through the mastoid bone but, rather, against possible harm by the physical shockwave of loud enclosed noises on the surface areas that will transmit directly to the delicate small bones of the ear. Whether or not that is true, I just find it too damned loud to be indoors with only one set of hearing protection, since I always seem to get placed on a lane next to the .44 hand cannon. Currently I use the Radians ProAmp electronic muffs and these foam earplugs, which, at -33dB, are the best I have run across. If I crank the volume on the Radians all the way up, I can hear range commands and normal conversation just fine through the earplugs.

For outdoors I can use either the muffs or the plugs and be quite happy.

Having just read about them in this thread, I ordered some of the EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders (which I am sure will be much more comfortable in my ear than an EP-3 ARIES! ) carried by SureFire. They should show up today, and I will be shooting with them this week to see how I like them!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I have a few pair of the electronic ear muffs....one set from gander mtn...their brand (guide gear), and another set from sportsmansguide.com under 50.00 and I have no problem using them indoor/outdoor and while teaching class. you can hear incredibly with them on until a round goes off, and they block out the sound...
    One note, I could not use them in competition, very distracting, as you can hear so much extra around you...people talking, birds, traffic, etc.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Indoors I'll use both, outdoors, just the muffs. I wear both at work as a requirement (work in hammer forge). You might be surprised at people who show up at the outdoor range without any form of ear protection----I always carry extra foam plugs for those idgets.

Always. The double protection (foam plus over the ear) will give you about -60db noise protection when used with the over the ear protection.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    +1....bone conduction can come from anywhere in the skull not just the mastoid...in fact with the muscle attachment of the SCM on the mastoid, anyplace on the occiput would work just as well...it just happens that the superior part of the mastoid is close to the canal, and easier for patients to differentiate between sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Silica View Post
    The issue is not whether the sound is transmitted via bone conduction. The real issue is whether that the sound is damaging to the inner ear. The sound will be transmitted to the ear at any point on the skull. For example, strike a tuning fork and place it in the middle of your forehead; you will hear the tone in both ears. The loud noise produced by gunfire will demonstrate bone conduction regardless of whether you dampen the mastoid with a muff. Do not get me wrong, I am a strong advocate of hearing protection. I would recommend wearing both muffs and in-ear protection anytime that the circumstances allow. The real value in double protection is not through any effect on bone conduction, but on the additional reduction of sound pressure into the ear canal and to the tympanic membrane. I guess it's a nice way to motivate people to wear double protection, but it's based on a myth.

There is no scientific evidence that bone conduction of noise alone (SPL around 140dB) produces any permanent hearing threshold shift. If you know of such evidence, I would very much appreciate learning of the source.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    The indoor/outdoor plugs from MidWay coupled with muffs work great, IMO. If you take the muffs off temporarily, you can hear well but you are still adequately protected if a shot rings out unexpectedly.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links