Ear Protection

This is a discussion on Ear Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range, used their ear protection, but noticed that the report was still loud - after firing 50 rounds, I noticed a distinct ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ear Protection

Ear Protection

Went to the range, used their ear protection, but noticed that the report was still loud - after firing 50 rounds, I noticed a distinct ringing in the ears.

The cure is probably to use the small in-the-ear foam plugs along with the larger over the ear protection.

My question is, does anyone else use two sets of ear protection?

I was firing a Glock 23...

2. Remove Ads

Not usually, I prefer the soft ear plugs to the ear muffs. Maybe the electronic muff may be nice, but I've never tried them.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

yes, plug and muffs indoors, otherwise plugs only outdoors. Cheap insurance for my hearing.

Besides it's not necessarily for what YOU are shooting. I first decided to double up when I was a kid shooting indoors. I had the right most lane and the guy to my left was shooting full house 357's from a snubby revolver. I had muffs on but noticed the ringing for a week or so.

Eventually I'll upgrade the muffs to a nice electronic set with compression technology AND the plugs for the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Ricebrnr; November 22nd, 2007 at 09:20 AM.

What? Whaaaaaaaat?

DO NOT waste the 30 bucks on the electronic plugs from Dick's Sporting Goods...they suck. They were OK for a day shooting sporting clays, especially since you can talk easily with them in. However, two rounds from my 1911 made me take them out and put the ol' foam back in. I returned them that day.

I think you have to spend quite a bit more than I did to get good electronic muff or plugs.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I use soft disposable plugs that I buy in bulk so I always have plugs available for friends or whoever needs them. They are cheap, comfortable, work well, and usually have a higher noise reduction rating than most of the over the ear muffs. The ones I buy have a 32 or 33 decible noise reduction rating (NRR).

So many of the "non-disposable" in the ear or the over the ear muffs seem to only have 26 or 27 decible ratings. IIRC the "in the ear" Sonic II's I have with the tiny metal ported muffler canisters in them are only rated with a 27 NRR.

I also have two pair of muffs which I do wear frequently... especially if I am out of the disposables, but in the summer time, I hate the sweat so I usually opt for the soft disposable plugs. The muffs are convenient for quick on and off though.

Sometimes some of my inexperienced friends will choose to wear the muffs because I think it makes them feel like they are a more "in the know" and experienced shooter and that makes them look cool. I may be mistaken, but that's the impression I get sometimes. LOL

The only time I wear both is if the noise level of magnum rifles and pistols are particularly loud for a single type of hearing protection to handle. If I am the least bit uncomfortable with the noise level, I use both.

I would like to have a nice set of electronic muffs for when I take tactical shooting classes. It would make it much nicer to be able to hear the instructors without constantly taking muffs on and off or removing the soft plugs and putting them back in when the shooting starts. I just haven't sprung for a pair yet. I always seem to opt in buying more ammo or some other accessories instead when I have the extra cash on hand.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I use soft disposable plugs that I buy in bulk so I always have plugs available for friends or whoever needs them.

I also have two pair of muffs which I wear frequently, but in the summer time, I hate the sweat so usually opt for the soft plugs. The muffs are convenient for quick on and off though.
    +1...I always keep spare disposable plugs and an extra headset for friends....looking to invest in some electronic muffs.

Protecting hearing is cheap...not protecting your hearing gets expensive.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

i wear both soft plugs and over the ear muffs.works good for me.
    i still have good hearing andwould like to keep it that way,but whatever
    works good for ya would be the way to go.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Indoors I wear both plugs and muffs, outdoors just the electronic muffs.

SY

Lead Moderator
    One good set of earmuffs should be enough. (unless you are in a small space or many guns are being fired. )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Disposables in the ear, muffs over.

Seems that I can never get a good quiet seal with muffs when wearing glasses. Glasses only make sense on the range !!!

.45 pistol and under: just good muffs. (or bad muffs + plugs)
    anything over: both for sure

I use electronic both in, and out of doors. As a back up I carry foam type in ear plugs. About the only time I can thing of using foam plugs, and over ears would be if I was shooting my .308 indoors.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I use both. It never hurts to be safe, and a guy opened up with S&W 50 the other day in the bay next to mine. I was shooting a .22 at the time, and it hurt even with both plugs and a headset!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

My ear doctor told me to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER shoot without two sets of earplugs. Foam expandable in the ears and Mickey Mouse ears over them. Even without the ringing, you can be causing permanent damage that won't show up 'til years later.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Plugs plug the ear channel. Plugs do not protect the bone behind the ear. Only Muffs protect the bone behind the ear.

Wear "both" quality plugs and muffs, indoor or outdoor range.

Keep a set of "electronic" muffs with your other items so when "things go bump in the night", if you have good hearing you can increase your tactical advantage with"super hearing" and if you not so good hearing you can increase your tactical advantage with "normal to near super hearing". If you have to shoot indoors you will not have ringing in the ears and still be in the fight with the tactical advantage.

http://www.e-a-r.com/hearingconservation/

http://www.peltornext.com/peltornext.com/

http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/non...tform=Earmuffs

http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/prod_lit.cfm

http://www.aearo.com/pdf/comm/Tactical6S.pdf

http://www.aearo.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links