How many magazines?

This is a discussion on How many magazines? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry 3-4 spares while I'm out and about, depending on the Mag capacity.. If it's one of my full autos, I'd carry AT LEAST ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many magazines?

I carry 3-4 spares while I'm out and about, depending on the Mag capacity.. If it's one of my full autos, I'd carry AT LEAST 10 spare mags each, just in case the SHTF... I do have 2 boxes of 50 Rnds each for a backup in my vehicle...I do carry 2 spares for my Bug... or 3 speedloaders or 4 speed strips for the wheelie gun

If it's at home.........I have at least 50 M16 mags...40 AK mags......40 HKMP5 mags.... Lots and lots of other assorted mags for the various MGs I have..
    I can't even begin to think of what I have for the Pistols I have and other speed loading devices
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; July 19th, 2005 at 04:50 PM.

2. Remove Ads

What am I missing?

You folks know better than I, so what am I missing? Why do you need so many magazines? I have a 1911 with two mags. I use one of them. Actually I do use two - one of them for plinking and the other stays loaded with gold dots. But that's just for convenience so I don't have to unload the gold dots every time I go plinking.

I don't have my CCW yet, and when I do... well, okay, so maybe you need an extra mag there. But 6? 10?

I figure if my magazine ever breaks (BTW, my Dad has a Colt Series 70 and STILL has the original mags and still shoots...) I'll just go buy a new one.

So I know I'm missing a critical point? Unless you shoot IDPA or another competition where multiple magazines are required and often dropped where they could be damaged.

Well Joe for me I personally could get by on 3 good ones.

Now a lot of people say to me "That's not enough because you'll reload them so many times..."

And then I ask them what is the difference to your thumb between loading 6 magazines once and 3 magazines twice.

For me having 6 is about redundancy as I believe very much in Murphy's law.

Also, if you are lucky enough to get to a point you can consider more formal training, you'll need the spares. You're right though that I could actually get by on less if they were quality magazines.

But I'd still get at least 3 total, and try to add one for every year I owned the gun after that.

Lightbulb What's the Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    And then I ask them what is the difference to your thumb between loading 6 magazines once and 3 magazines twice.
    The answer is Speed. Euc, the odds that any of us will actually have to draw (those of us not LEO's) and engage a hostile BG are remote to say the least. If it does happen (God forbid) the odds that we'll need more than a few rounds or a single mag at most are just as remote. But if you do need more than one mag, you're likely going to need a lot of them. That's why during our vacation last week I had 72 rds of .40 ready to launch from my Glock M27 before I even had to think of asking my wife to start reloading from the two boxes of JHP at the bottom of my little emergency bag. I had a mag in the gun and two hi-cap M22 mags with 15 rds each ON me. The other loaded mags and the spare ammo were in a small range bag behind my seat. Ready to grab if we had to bail from the vehicle and seek better cover.

Since I was traveling through some very rural areas of Louisiana and Texas, I figured these preps were prudent to say the least. Crime is getting just as bad if not worse in the rural areas as it is in the cities. Did you know that in some parts of Texas there is simply NO cell phone coverage?

Imagine breaking down or having a flat in such an area and somebody not so nice happens along to offer their "help?" Our out of state tags and my silvery beard might have tagged us as "prey" before they found out the old saying might be true about never teasing old dogs because they might have one good BITE left!

Also remember that 9 times out of 10 when you experience an FTF or FTE it's the faulty mag thats the problem. So you run through one mag and it's fine, but you've got a weak spring or bent mag lips on your single back up and you start getting jams and you still need the gun to be functioning since the threat still exists and is credible. And now they know you have problems with your piece.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

ExSoldier there is a problem with your analysis. More magazines does not mean more speed. It depends on the situation.

If I am given 500 cartridges, a pistol, and 6 magazines, it doesn't matter how many magazines I actually have as I must stuff each round into the magazine before being able to fire it.

As a matter of fact the capacity of the firearm is meaningless as well.

Give me a combat sized revolver and 500 cartridges. If the goal is to simply fire all 500 catridges, I can accomplish this faster than I can with any semiautomatic.

8 minimun per gun, but 12 is better, and many semis have up to 20 or so. Speed loaders, for carry guns, 8 at least.

I carry one reload per gun carried.

Summer carry is three guns, two autos and revolver, or reverse. Last few days it has been 1911, Commander, and 642.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Cool T.O.T is what counts.

ExSoldier there is a problem with your analysis. More magazines does not mean more speed. It depends on the situation.

If I am given 500 cartridges, a pistol, and 6 magazines, it doesn't matter how many magazines I actually have as I must stuff each round into the magazine before being able to fire it.

As a matter of fact the capacity of the firearm is meaningless as well.

Give me a combat sized revolver and 500 cartridges. If the goal is to simply fire all 500 catridges, I can accomplish this faster than I can with any semiautomatic.
    Euc, give me six previously loaded magazines and you with your six shooter wheel gun and I flat guarantee I whomp you with time on target. Even if I'm on the move and shooting as I move so I hafta drop a few mags, I can STILL reload and resume the fight faster than a wheel gunner whose skill level to me is comesurate with my own.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Personally...if I ever have to draw and fire 3 mags I'm not in a shootout..Im in a WAR...

If those 3 mags can get me back to the truck where I can pull out my GOOD STUFF and use it I think Ill be much better off...

I have to agree. If I am going some place where I even think I have the remote possibility of needing that many rounds, I'll have the AK in the trunk. If you live long enough, you should be able to fight your way back to your vehicle with one reload to get a real weapon suitable for fighting off whatever small army is attacking you.

Chances you'll be in a confrontation requiring you to draw your weapon? Slim. Chances that you'll need to fire your weapon? Even lower. Chances you'll need more than one reload? Remote. Chances you'll survive if you ever need more than one reload? Too remote to even consider. At least for me. I understand those with more training may take a different route and I'm not criticizing those who do - but for me it just isn't realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Euc, give me six previously loaded magazines and you with your six shooter wheel gun and I flat guarantee I whomp you with time on target. Even if I'm on the move and shooting as I move so I hafta drop a few mags, I can STILL reload and resume the fight faster than a wheel gunner whose skill level to me is comesurate with my own.
    Ah but there's the problem with your previous analysis.

You're assuming that the magazines are loaded. That's a situational factor some people may not be able to control.

For instance if you're traveling through gun unfriendly states, if I understand federal law correctly, you can only transport it so long as it's not loaded and none of its magazines are loaded. Local laws, circumstances, or other regulations may require you to keep the firearm and its magazines unloaded.

And even then, yes for the 100 give or take round of ammunition you already have loaded you're going to be moving very fast, but if the situation calls for firing 5 or 6 times that amount suddenly your advantage is debatable. The higher the round count goes, the less clear it is that having multiple magazines is really all that helpful.

Now I realize that's a silly thing to even consider because it's never happened in the real world and probably never will, but if we're going to talk about a fantastic situation that requires one to fire 6 magazines' worth of ammunition from a handgun all at once we might as well consider the situation to its extreme.

As we say in math your statement is true, but within limits.

Ah but there's the problem with your previous analysis.
    In what was presented, no, there was no realistic problem.

Why did wheelguns lose out to autos? Magazine capacity and reload time for the average shooter. Sure, there are guys who can reload a revolver in unholy spans, but for most, it's a lot more involved and more can go wrong. More can go wrong in most cases shooting an automatic, but the problems on the revolver end start and almost exclusively end during the reload cycle - speedloader that doesn't release, rounds that don't eject from the cylinder, a cylinder that doesn't want to release, etc.

You're assuming that the magazines are loaded. That's a situational factor some people may not be able to control.
    For most of us, it's a fact of life that the magazines are going to be loaded.

For instance if you're traveling through gun unfriendly states, if I understand federal law correctly, you can only transport it so long as it's not loaded and none of its magazines are loaded. Local laws, circumstances, or other regulations may require you to keep the firearm and its magazines unloaded.
    There are no such magazine restrictions in relevant US code (Title 18 Part I Chap. 44 Sec. 926A) - ammunition must be not readily accessible from passenger compartment and the firearm itself unloaded.

And even then, yes for the 100 give or take round of ammunition you already have loaded you're going to be moving very fast, but if the situation calls for firing 5 or 6 times that amount suddenly your advantage is debatable. The higher the round count goes, the less clear it is that having multiple magazines is really all that helpful.
    As we say in math your statement is true, but within limits.
    Within limits, you're not going to have two boxes of ammo in your coat pocket. You might have 1 mag in the gun, and two in each pocket. That's not inconceivable, and with Glock or Sig +2 mags, it's doable. You're not likely to have 16ish speedloaders - they take up too much room. Ditto speed strips.

The magazine clearly wins out.

If you're talking about 100 round shootouts, you're going to be providing cover fire most likely - and in that, the auto wins out hands down. I can drop the entire capacity of the average wheelgun to purchase cover and movement and still have 1.5x its load still in the weapon.

If you're talking 500-600 round shootouts, well, I hope your car provides a lot of cover or you brought an ammo cart. It's going to get a little silly lugging around half a case of ammo and ripping into cardboard cases under fire.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I have to agree...
    Chances you'll be in a confrontation requiring you to draw your weapon? Slim. Chances that you'll need to fire your weapon? Even lower. Chances you'll need more than one reload? Remote. Chances you'll survive if you ever need more than one reload? Too remote to even consider. At least for me. I understand those with more training may take a different route and I'm not criticizing those who do - but for me it just isn't realistic.
    True, when was the last time anyone here read of a gunfight that involved firing more than 1/2 dozen rounds unless you're in Iraq... or you're a member of the LAPD? Seriously, with a very few exceptions (like the courthouse shooting in Tyler, TX a few months ago) the vast majority of the reported shootouts involve 3-4 rounds and last only 3-4 seconds. That being the case, even a single magazine in the well should be more than enough for any situation over 99% of the people will encounter over 99% of the time. Even LEO's will seldom carry more than 2 spare magazines for their weapon and they are countless times more likely to have to draw their weapon then the rest of us. My personal preference is one on the gun and one spare mag as a backup. If I find myself involved in a situation that involves firing 20 or more rounds, I'm in deep @#&* and will probably need more than a few extra bullets to get my tail out of the fire.

As being one who has worked "Close Security" for a number of Clients while in my younger years, I have learned to be best prepared for any encounter. I'd rather carry 3-4 spare mags, for my semi-auto, 4-5 speedloaders or 5 speedstrips, than find out that the BG has counted the number of rounds expended by me, or assumes that I'm "out of mags" and decides to become the agressor. (yes "Virginia" they DO know what's out there for weapons and their capacities) Not Paranoid in any way here, just mindfull of how my opponent may think.. BTW.. while I worked that position, everybody carried at least 4 spare mags

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    Even LEO's will seldom carry more than 2 spare magazines for their weapon and they are countless times more likely to have to draw their weapon then the rest of us.
    They also have something I don't: backup.

The local LEOs I know tried to tell me that they're my backup, and I pointed to the Supreme Court's rulings on their lack of requirement to provide protection. They relented and don't give me crap about backup guns and mags as much any more.

I figure in real terms that I carry less than 30 seconds of ammunition. Response time is 5+ minutes on the best day.

Sure, the majority of times I've presented a weapon it hasn't had to have been fired - but the 3-4 second rubric is a little out of joint with what I've come to expect in the wild. People just do not die or cease to become a threat that quickly. I wish they did - I really do.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I'm gonna have to get Gary to change my order from one single carrier to three doubles. When I'm not using them in a gunfight, they will serve as a combination back brace and dive belt.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links