Kind of flashlight ?

Kind of flashlight ?

This is a discussion on Kind of flashlight ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i went to a place called batteries plus today to buy batteries.while there i saw a very small flashlight that i bought called a streamlight ...

Thread: Kind of flashlight ?

Kind of flashlight ?

i went to a place called batteries plus today to buy batteries.while there i saw a very small flashlight that i bought called a streamlight key mate.
    it seems like a well made quality flashlight.

bright light and very small.it cost $12.00
    has anyone ever heard of this brand streamlight?if so are they any good?... thanks
    Last edited by stormbringerr; November 30th, 2007 at 12:06 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Assistant Administrator
    With today's seemingly increasing number of makers/suppliers of high output flashlghts, I do believe Streamlight is one getting some interest tho I do not have one myself.

Surefire certainly has a lotta competition now but for a while they seemed about the top supplier - currently there are other lights like Pentagon and Fenix and NovTac ... and Black Bear's Ultra potent offerings, all make for a very wide choice. There are others too.

The advent of very high output LED technology has IMO transformed the industry - all to our (the consumer's) benefit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My understanding is Streamlight does a lot of business with LEOs (and other first reponders). Lots of duty lights. It has a good reputation in general, but not top of the line or cutting edge like Surefire lights.

I have a couple of their lights, but no experience with the Keymate. The Keymate has been around quite a while IIRC.

For $12, if it fits what you need and you like it, why not?

-john

bzdog is correct. Back when I was working in a local gunshop, rechargeable Streamlights were very popular with the LEO crowd. They are good lights, and have been around for a while if I'm not mistaken. I remember a female customer who came in to buy another rechargeable battery for her light that she had owned for the last 10 years. Seems to speak for their quality. They are not quite as good as Surefire, but you do get what you pay for after all. They do have a lifetime warranty, and they do make good on them. You won't be disappointed with a Streamlight.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    My understanding is Streamlight does a lot of business with LEOs (and other first reponders). Lots of duty lights. It has a good reputation in general, but not top of the line or cutting edge like Surefire lights.

I have a couple of their lights, but no experience with the Keymate. The Keymate has been around quite a while IIRC.

For $12, if it fits what you need and you like it, why not?

-john
    I'd hardly consider Surefire to be cutting edge anymore... Top of the line, that's arguable, but definitely not cutting edge.

As far as the streamlight LED keychain light goes, you chose wisely!

I use Surefire, but I've seen a few other brands that rival it for brightness, Streamlight seems to be one of them.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Streamlight makes great lights. My dad carries the same light you got on his keychain, plus he has his Streamlight Thunder Ranch as his daily carry.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I'd hardly consider Surefire to be cutting edge anymore... Top of the line, that's arguable, but definitely not cutting edge.
    I'd say that Surefire does stay current. Case in point, the L1 (and several other lights) have been upgraded to the new LED technology.

I agree they don't push it like Fenix, but I'd say considering the design cycle of these lights, they are more bleeding edge than cutting edge. Incredible value for the money? Absolutely. Would I pick them as bet-my-life equipment? Not me.

Do they update their designs as fast as I would like? Of course not, but on the other hand, I trust them to engineer the heck out of their lights and trust them not to push out technology before they are ready (given that a mfg not only has to incorporate the technology and design, but do design validation, solve all their production, supply issues and QC issues).

I guess my point is that I think that SF is cutting edge once you factor in the bet-your-life requirement. Are their others? Sure. Personally I carry an HDS.

-john

thanks everyone,they had some more streamlight flashlights at that place also at pretty good prices.
    i think ill get at least one more now that y'all told me about them. a larger model this time,i think.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Streamlight Stinger is my duty light but my Surefire 6Z is my "bet my life" light. 10 years on the job and it has not failed me yet.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Links