Gun cleaning - Page 2

Gun cleaning

This is a discussion on Gun cleaning within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of course, if you shot a lot of lead bullets, shoot too many rounds between cleanings etc. You will be in for some additional effort ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun cleaning

additional elbow grease may be required

Of course, if you shot a lot of lead bullets, shoot too many rounds between cleanings etc. You will be in for some additional effort regardless of method. Even when shooting jacketed bullets, I don't think I've ever cleaned a gun in 10 minutes, as was mentioned in the video.

I've been cleaning guns for a long time, and have tried all kinds of tricks, and am always open to a new or better way; but it still seems to come down to just plain old elbow grease and some of the same products I have used since I started shooting. Nothing fancy at all.

Jim

PS: Especially with a gun that has a good number of rounds through it, you can clean it and it may look nice and clean. Take a magnifying glass and look toward a bright light through the barrel, you might be surprised to see small deposits in the corners of the rifling's grooves, especially near the chamber, these small deposits affect accuracy and aren't easy to remove.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Distinguished Member
    the pistol i am asking about is a S&W 340 M&P it is made out of scandium alloy , so i know i can't just start trying everthing on the shelf like i can with my ss pistols . the manual doesn't say what to
    use . if you recommend something please tell me it's safe for alloy .

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    the pistol i am asking about is a S&W 340 M&P it is made out of scandium alloy , so i know i can't just start trying everthing on the shelf like i can with my ss pistols .
    While the manual might not say what to use, I would certainly think that they would mention something that you shouldn't, if it could damage the finish. That having been said, I know that some of the products containing ammonia for removing copper from the barrel can damage finishes that have been applied to the gun's metal, but these are rarely used in pistols. If it was mine, I'd just clean it with my choice of the commercially available solvent cleaners, I've never heard of Hoppe's No.9 hurting any gun. Maybe someone else that has a scandium gun will reply. You might E-mail S&W and see what they say.

Good luck,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Ed's Red. Homemade stuff that WORKS!!!!!

1/3 Acetone---1/3 kerosene---1/3 ATF.

Cheap too.

many don't know that WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant..if it works for him, then ok..personally, I wouldn't

Sitting on a footlocker in a squad bay on Parris Island with the smell of CLP in the air is just a smell I love. Still use it exclusively to this day.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links