Gun cleaning

This is a discussion on Gun cleaning within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what should i use to clean my pistol ? it has a matte black finish and is made of scandium alloy . i used a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun cleaning

Distinguished Member

Gun cleaning

what should i use to clean my pistol ? it has a matte black finish and is made of scandium alloy . i used a synthetic cleaner called eez x , but i didn't really like it.

2. Remove Ads

I use Break Free CLP for the most part. Hoppes in the barrel.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I use Hoppes #9 to clean 'em inside and out.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

1943 - 2009
    I hate to tell you this, but there is no single, universal, all purpose gun cleaning product that meets everybody's needs and expectations.

Experiment, experiment, and then experiment some more!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member
    i have plenty of hoppes that i have had for about 20 years , i just know alloy reacts to certain cleaners and i didn't want to ruin the finish with it .

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    I use Hoppes #9 to clean 'em inside and out.
    +1 for me on the Hoppes #9, then I use Remington oil on a 1-inch pad to lub.

Lead Moderator
    Did the gun manual specify what to use? What brand, model do you have? I am sure others who have the same gun can tell you what works for them without harming the finish.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

i use the tetra gun cleaner system and love it.
    really small particles gets in those pores and keeps dirt out
    so most gunk is on the surface making it easy to clean and keeps gun in good condition for a long time.
    i also use hoppes #9 as an additional liquid cleaner if i need it
    (the tetra system has an 'action blaster' which really gets rid of stuff, but you cant use it to scrub if you need to)

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

A couple of less common products

redrick,

As has already been said, there are about as many opinions on this as there are gun owners. I really like two products that I don't see a lot of people use. My solvent is Prolix, which is non-petroleum based and has the added benefit of drying to a powdered lubricant (meaning even the parts you don't specifically lube get some of that from the solvent).

I then use Brian Enos's Slide Glide on the rails and a few other spots. Slide Glide is a thick, jelly-like lube that does an outstanding job of staying on the rails where you put it. Additionally, it absorbs the gunpowder and other residue, thus making the residue work in support of the lubrication, rather than ruining it.

I use a Hoppe's bore snake to clean the barrel rather than a rod and patches. It is much more snug to the barrel than any patch can be, and I think it really does a good job. The bore snake (probably available at the local gun store, and certainly available a ton of places online) can also be thrown in your range bag; if you are out for a long shoot, you can drop it through the mag well and down the breach for a quick clean without taking the gun apart, which will let you scrub crud off the feed ramp and out of the barrel.

Finally, I use a can of compressed spray air to help blow solvent and crud out of the parts when I am cleaning. Check out this how-to on cleaning from the ever-entertaining and -informative Box o' Truth.

I agree with everyone above that you have to try stuff to see if you like it. I first started with Tetra products, then moved to FP-10 CLP, and now I have settled on Weapon Shield CLP. It is from the maker who created FP-10 and I think it does a great job all around for cleaning, lube, and corrosion resistance.
    MPro7 is great for REALLY cleaning the bore.
    I totally echo the Boresnake. I have never been unsatisfied at all with them.

I've never heard of WD40 used as a gun cleaner
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I've never heard of WD40 used as a gun cleaner
    I was thinking the same thing... and while I won't exactly start any flaming, I will say that I respectfully disagree with using WD-40 and prefer specific products designed for gun cleaning.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allamricn View Post
    I was thinking the same thing... and while I won't exactly start any flaming, I will say that I respectfully disagree with using WD-40 and prefer specific products designed for gun cleaning.
    You guys referring to the WD-40 in the Box o' Truth link I posted?

I tend to agree...but...mainly it's just a petroleum based solvent like a lot of other gun-specific products. Hell, people use brake cleaner on gun parts!

I provided the link mainly as an illustration of good cleaning techniques, and particularly where I got the idea of using the compressed air. If WD-40 works for him, well, given as many guns as he has and how long he has been shooting, I don't see any reason to disagree with him. After all, I've never seen WD-40 ruin a gun...

...but I don't plan on testing the theory on any of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but there is no single, universal, all purpose gun cleaning product that meets everybody's needs and expectations.

Experiment, experiment, and then experiment some more!
    I agree with this one. A lot of people tell me that BoreSnake is the best to use. But, it just doesn't fit my style. I like the old fashion taking apart and working each individual section.

Just make sure that is FOR guns.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by allamricn View Post
    I agree. I feel the WD 40 will tend to gum up and collect dirt, grime, dust unless removed from surfaces. Seems Old Painless (box o truth) does so then lubes with grease. I tend to avoid grease as I am in a cold climate (winter) in MI.

As for a bore snake, I find it useful for light or quick cleaning , but like using rods and brushes for a better deep down clean.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links