Securing my guns at home.

This is a discussion on Securing my guns at home. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is my dilema. I am trying to find a way to secure my house gun, a Mossberg 500A, in a way that my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing my guns at home.

So here is my dilema. I am trying to find a way to secure my house gun, a Mossberg 500A, in a way that my wife and I will both be able to access it quickly. I need something that has a digital lock of some sort on it. Hiding a key somewhere doesn't work for me, as I have a child and I need to keep my guns out of his curious reach. The problem is that I do not have the funds to go out and buy a full out safe right now. Can you guys help me out??
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think for around $100 you can get an electronic deadbolt. Put it on your bedroom closet? I've seen gun lockers start at $80ish, but i'm not sure what the cost might be for a digital lock on one, but If I can get a gunvault for the nightstand for $100, if they make a digital enty gunlocker, they might start under $200, which I guess is still kinda steep. hmm...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I think for around $100 you can get an electronic deadbolt. Put it on your bedroom closet? I've seen gun lockers start at $80ish, but i'm not sure what the cost might be for a digital lock on one, but If I can get a gunvault for the nightstand for $100, if they make a digital enty gunlocker, they might start under $200, which I guess is still kinda steep. hmm...
    Where have you seen these? Interesting...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i like the dead bolt idea I have a regular deadbolt on mine

I first saw one at COSTCO, but here are a few links to sites with variations too, including fingerprint, rf remote, etc. The last one has a digital deadbolt listed for $49. Might want to google for reviews of the product if you are going to trust your life to it, but that's pretty cheap.

http://www.nokey.com/

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Door_Lock...?src=WG1000074

http://www.preventsecurity.com/produ...=-1&s=-1&p=517
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I do like that idea, but I'm not sure how I would make it work. I live in a rental and I can't exactly just put a deadbolt in my closet door, and I also have those crappy folding doors. :(
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator
    Must it be locked up, or will out of reach be OK?

As for the electronic deadbolt... Lowes sells them, Kwikset makes one. I have it on my door from the kitchen to the garage... that way I have a keyless entry into my home, and still two layers of protection.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would go talk to your local locksmith, they can be quite creative.

How about racking the bolt back and using a simple cable lock through it? I've never seen one that doesn't use a key though.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Out of sight/reach with some sort of lock would work. I did see a trigger lock at Bass Pro Shops that might work. It was a trigger lock with a three pin combination lock on it. Made by Master Lock. I might have to try one out.

Thanks for the input guys!

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    What I did last year was when Lowes had a deal with their credit card where anything over $399 no interest for 12 months. I got a good 20 gun firesafe for about $950 delivered. Take it for what it's worth.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

In my opinion-----trigger locks aren't good. Not for quick, easy access, and for being in the trigger guard next to the trigger in the first place. I bought a decent gun safe several years ago at Wal-Mart on layaway. About $325 total. It's the combination type (tumbler, fire rated, six lug). I have an opinion about the digital locking ones too----what happens when the battery or electronic fail? Here's what I do for quick, easy access with my combination lock safe when I am home-----dial the first two numbers in the combo, and leave it within 30 of the last number. When not at home, or leaving-----I just go and scramble it. The safe anchors to the floor. Best one could get on a limited budget for peace of mind, and security. Good habits are hard to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    In my opinion-----trigger locks aren't good. Not for quick, easy access, and for being in the trigger guard next to the trigger in the first place. I bought a decent gun safe several years ago at Wal-Mart on layaway. About $325 total. It's the combination type (tumbler, fire rated, six lug). I have an opinion about the digital locking ones too----what happens when the battery or electronic fail? Here's what I do for quick, easy access with my combination lock safe when I am home-----dial the first two numbers in the combo, and leave it within 30 of the last number. When not at home, or leaving-----I just go and scramble it. The safe anchors to the floor. Best one could get on a limited budget for peace of mind, and security. Good habits are hard to break.
    There is a warning sound...each battery (9 volt) lasts over a year with daily use...

Never had a problem...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    just remember never trigger lock a loaded firearm...
    I know I am probably preaching to the choir...but it had to be said.
    How old is your child....that may determine the type of concealment/out of reach we are talking about.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I guess my best solution is to start saving up for a safe. I may just have to go with a dial lock instead of an electronic one to save a few bones. I deffinately need something to secure my guns in though. Thanks for all the reply's and ideas guys!

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links