I have stupid question Re: Eotech - Page 2

I have stupid question Re: Eotech

This is a discussion on I have stupid question Re: Eotech within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by phoneguy I have an AR 15. I mounted an Eotech hologram sight on a modified Bush master flat top. The rail system ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have stupid question Re: Eotech

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    I have an AR 15. I mounted an Eotech hologram sight on a modified Bush master flat top.
    The rail system goes across the entire top end up to were the gas tube enters the barrel.
    Were do I mount this sight on the top rail? Thanks
    One caveat - if your railed forearm is not solidly keyed to the receiver (i.e. drop-in rails that mount like the original forearm), you will get point of impact shifts with your sight as it moves slightly.

If you have a solid rail system, like a Larue or Knight's, etc., you can mount the EoTech anywhere you like.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    As always....Thanks for your support Rocky.
    Anytime. Glad you typed all that, I just am not nearly as eloquent at explaining or expressing myself thru typing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Question Matt...

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    One caveat - if your railed forearm is not solidly keyed to the receiver (i.e. drop-in rails that mount like the original forearm), you will get point of impact shifts with your sight as it moves slightly.

If you have a solid rail system, like a Larue or Knight's, etc., you can mount the EoTech anywhere you like.

Matt
    If I'm understanding you correctly...
    When I remove and replace my EO Tech on my BushMaster, I have the particular grove 'dotted' with paint to ensure exact placement...
    Is this what your were referring to?

Curious...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly...
    When I remove and replace my EO Tech on my BushMaster, I have the particular grove 'dotted' with paint to ensure exact placement...
    Is this what your were referring to?

Curious...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I think what Matt is referring to is if you have a quad rail that is only mounted by replacing the original handguards (drop in replacement such as Yankee Hill rails) you POI can be affected due to only being held in place by the delta ring and front HG cap.. Some of the higher end rail systems bridge between the upper receiver and the handguard rail(knights , RIS , ect).
    If you do remove your sight then replace it, POI will be closer if your mount it in the same location( #'ed slot )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Exactly - the drop in systems, as opposed to the bolt-on systems, will have some amount of play in them, and could allow the sight to move slightly.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It could be because you and your Son are each using the EoTech in two different ways.
    One correct and one incorrect.
    The EoTech sight gives you a reticle that is a true Hologram.
    In other words the reticle "focus location" is not at the firearm.
    It is in effect projected out to the target plane.
    So you should not be focusing on the EoTech reticle at all and you should not be looking through the EoTech like it was a tradtional rifle scope.
    For that reason it should be far enough forward on your firearm so that you are not tempted to look through the EoTech and it should not block your field of view....you should be looking out at the world with both eyes open in stereoscopic vision.
    With both eyes OPEN you should be looking/focused out at your intended target area and the reticle should be visually superimposed on the target out at the target plane. Hummmmm....I'm really messing this up.
    If you are near sighted you should still NOT be using your NEAR vision to focus on the illuminated reticle because the reticle is not NEAR.
    You should be using your FAR vision to focus on your intended target because that is where the EoTech Hologram has placed the reticle.
    In other words you are trying to focus using your eyeglasses on the reticle as if it was at the weapon location and it is not there.
    If it was not a hologram and was just an illuminated reticle sight then the way you are looking at it would be OK but, being that it's a Hologram then I think you are the one that is using the EoTech incorrectly.
    I think you are using the incorrect portion of your bi-focals to focus on the reticle and attempting to make it "in focus" at the weapon location and that is not correct.
    That would be correct if the EoTech was just a lighted reticle optical sight but, it is not. It's a true Holographic sight.
    How badly did I mess up my explanation?
    OK that made a lot of sense. When I look through the sight my focus is on the target. I keep the intensity of the retical down so it doesn't over power my view. Also when I use both eyes open, the focus is on the target and the rectical
    is in my view. However the black EO Tech device is invisible to me (out of focus). I think I was using one eye when I was with my son. I will try it again using both eyes open then hand it to him and see what happens.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    I just had a shop install a "Yankee Hill Machine" free floating rail system. So I will mount the EO Tech about one inch closer towards the muzzle end.
    Before the rails were mounted I had the EO Tech as far as it will go on the flat top.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links