I have stupid question Re: Eotech

This is a discussion on I have stupid question Re: Eotech within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an AR 15. I mounted an Eotech hologram sight on a modified Bush master flat top. The rail system goes across the entire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have stupid question Re: Eotech

Question I have stupid question Re: Eotech

I have an AR 15. I mounted an Eotech hologram sight on a modified Bush master flat top.
    The rail system goes across the entire top end up to were the gas tube enters the barrel.
    Were do I mount this sight on the top rail? Thanks
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

2. Remove Ads

I have mine mounted on the receiver right in front of the rear sight.

Administrator
    Where ever it gives you your proper eye relief... in other words, where it works best for you and allowing you to use the sight to its fullest.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Ditto SIXTO
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The reason why I'm asking. I set it up at he indoor range and can keep my group within a few inches that's real good for me and very happy. Then I give it to my son and he says, Dad its way off. So he sets it up the correct way (the way he was shown in the Marines). Then I try it out and its not right for me. My son is way better shot than me his eyes are near perfect and he has been trained by the best. I am near sighted and need bifocals also to see up close. Why do need to readjust the sight so it works for me and not for him? Is it because am old? Or do I need an update on training?

Administrator
    It could be your eyeballs... or you could be using the sight wrong. I'd compare notes with your boy to try and figure that out. Bottom line, its your gun so I would set it up the way you need it to be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's your weapon set it up for your comfort. I use one on my muzzle loader and the heads up display is 11 1/2 inches from my glasses. I'm 51 and need reading glasses also. I've also got one mounted on my Ruger Redhawk 45 LC and it works fine 28 inches from my glasses. Just make it right for you and enjoy. Your son can adjust, he's young it's easy.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Thumbs up

Thanks every one for your time.

Administrator

Post This is going to be hard to explain But, I'll try.

It could be because you and your Son are each using the EoTech in two different ways.
    One correct and one incorrect.
    The EoTech sight gives you a reticle that is a true Hologram.
    In other words the reticle "focus location" is not at the firearm.
    It is in effect projected out to the target plane.
    So you should not be focusing on the EoTech reticle at all and you should not be looking through the EoTech like it was a tradtional rifle scope.
    For that reason it should be far enough forward on your firearm so that you are not tempted to look through the EoTech and it should not block your field of view....you should be looking out at the world with both eyes open in stereoscopic vision.
    With both eyes OPEN you should be looking/focused out at your intended target area and the reticle should be visually superimposed on the target out at the target plane. Hummmmm....I'm really messing this up.
    If you are near sighted you should still NOT be using your NEAR vision to focus on the illuminated reticle because the reticle is not NEAR.
    You should be using your FAR vision to focus on your intended target because that is where the EoTech Hologram has placed the reticle.
    In other words you are trying to focus using your eyeglasses on the reticle as if it was at the weapon location and it is not there.
    If it was not a hologram and was just an illuminated reticle sight then the way you are looking at it would be OK but, being that it's a Hologram then I think you are the one that is using the EoTech incorrectly.
    I think you are using the incorrect portion of your bi-focals to focus on the reticle and attempting to make it "in focus" at the weapon location and that is not correct.
    That would be correct if the EoTech was just a lighted reticle optical sight but, it is not. It's a true Holographic sight.
    How badly did I mess up my explanation?

Administrator

Addition:

If you are near sighted then objects that are far away are out of focus for you without vision correction.
    So...dump the bi-focals and try using an older pair of ordinary near-sighted eyeglasses from your younger days before you needed the bi-focals.
    That would be because you should not be focusing on anything close w/ the EoTech anyway.

ALSO: There is a very good reason why there are brightness settings on the Holographic sight.
    That is because when your eyes are focused out at your target area then you really don't want the illuminated reticle to dominate.
    The illusion should be that it is actually resting on your intended target out there.
    I sure hope that this helps and that I did not butcher my explanation up too much.

Lead Moderator
    I think I just went blind reading QKshooter's explanation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This is how I have mine set up, My BUIS are zeroed as well in case the batteries go or something else happens to the Eotech. This works well for me.

"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I think I just went blind reading QKshooter's explanation.
    Me too, but at least he took the time to explain everything that I was to lazy too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ok, don't bash me, but I completely understood QK's explaination and am glad for the post. It really helped me out and I found it timely since I am planning to get an EOTech in the near future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator

Wink

As always....Thanks for your support Rocky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links