E2D Questions

This is a discussion on E2D Questions within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all... So, I'm pondering switching over to a Surefire for my EDC light. I've previously been carrying Inova Bolts (first the 2 watt, then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E2D Questions

E2D Questions

Hey all...
    So, I'm pondering switching over to a Surefire for my EDC light. I've previously been carrying Inova Bolts (first the 2 watt, then the 3.8 watt), but on both of them the endcaps have become unreliable or failed completely after a month of carrying them around. This bummed me out, especially when the 3.8 failed, because I was extremely happy with it's combination of being very bright, having long life, decent range, compact size, cheap batts, and a $35 price tag! But, if they're not going to be reliable, then I don't want it to be the flashlight I'm going to rely on. (Has anybody else had that experience with those models?)

Anyway, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and shell out the cash for a Surefire. I'm liking the E2D, it's compact, will certainly be reliable, and I'm thinking with it's strike bezel I can probably stop carrying my kubaton as well. But I do have some trepidations about it, namely it's range, life, and cost of batteries. Who owns and has carried one of these for awhile? Does it have decent reach outdoors? Does that batt life seem sufficient? Are the batts costing you an arm and a leg? I'd feel much better with an LED light, but can barely justify spending $110 for this version, let alone $170 for the equivalent LED version. Are there decent lowpriced aftermarket LED conversions out there? Just a little nervous before I shell out that much cash.... Any input? Thanks.
    .40 is fine.

2. Remove Ads

I have the E2E, which is the same light in a different color and without the crenelated strike bezel. It is a perfect light for EDC. It is quite bright, has decent throw and the battery life is 75 minutes. The pocket clip makes it easy to carry in a back pocket.

I often thought of getting the E2D LED but the price has kept me from doing so.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have the E2D (non LED). I've been very satisfied so far, about 3 months. Very bright, brighter than any maglight I've had. I don't use it every day but it does not seem to have lost any brightness and I still have the original batteries in it.

Also when I got it, it came with a dozen extra batteries. So I'm good to go for a while.

As far as the strike bezel, I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

If you want the very best in flashlights, buck up the money and get a Surefire.

No, I'm not a Surefire rep. They ain't paying me to say that. I'm just a part-time security guard who has used his Surefires (own 2 right now, soon to be 3) to get out of a couple of hairy situations.

They have a little bit steep price tag, but you get what you pay for. With a Surefire, you get excellence. And great customer service.

Surefire G2 ($36), Surefire 6PL ($84), Surefire G3 (by tmw ! ! $59) I'd recommend them all
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Surefire LED Conversion

Griblik - I own three Surefires (2 Z-2's and an "Outdoorsman"). I use them constantly in town and camping/hiking. Very bright, very durable, very reliable. I recently converted one of the z-2s to LED after purchasing an LED converter from Cree for $13.00. It delivers 150 lumens and battery life is suppose to be four to five times longer. Brightness is very good. I bought mine on ebay.

Good luck.

JK

VIP Member
    I have a few SureFire lights and even a Gladius. All great lights!

But for carry, the best of the bunch is the E2E! The defense aspect of the E2D is tacti-cool (I have that one too) but I can carry the E2E clipped in my pocket all day every day and forget it's there. (Except when I need it!)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have an E2D that I carry with me every day. We had the lights go out where I work, took it out, turned it on and I was able to light up almost everything. Everyone else had mag-lights and I was just drowning them with my little E2D. I wanted to strike bezel for close encounter (God forbid it never happens). It will hurt if I have to use it since they feel sharp. I wanted to get an LED but I hear they don't have a lot of throw. However, shelling out the extra funds may save you some money in the long run since replacing the bulbs cost around $12ea. If you're planning to use it for long periods of time, I would recommend something else like a Fenix light (which are LED btw).

I have 2 Surefire Flashlights and love them... However, just wanting to try something different and in an LED, I found this on ebay and have had it for about 6 months or a bit longer now. I carry it everyday! It is my primary work light on the ambulance as well. I really love it! It also doubles nicely as a Kubotan defensive tool as well.

It is made by Palm Blaze is a 6 volt lithium powered, second generation K2 Luxeon LED at 130 lumens! It has a unique square beam, a tactical tail cap switch and is a bright, bright light! It will temporarily blind you, even in broad daylight!

Right now it is going for $29 buy it now price. You won't be disappointed!

It can be found here or just type in Palm Blaze LED on ebays website.

Just something you may want to try out. I have been more than happy with mine! I use flashlights all the time and like folding knives, I own more than my wife would like.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have an E2E. Love it. I have an L4 too, and honestly carry the E2E more. Up to you if you've gotta have the strike bezel. I wouldn't hesitate to strike with mine without the bezel and have no doubt that it'd get someone's attention.......

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    If you think that you will ever use the light as an impact weapon, get the LED version. That way, when the striking is done, the thing will still work as a light. In this case the L4 is probably the one you are looking for. Just my opinion but I would skip the "D" version. If you are hitting for real the strike bezel will make little difference. AND, TSA is getting savvy to the strike bezel while they don't bat an eyelash at the std versions.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I've got an E2E right now and love the light, but hate the battery life. I'm now in the market for something similar but in a LED version.

My wife and I have 5 SureFires and they are great.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Well, I went out to Sportsman's and looked at 'em, but..... Dang! I just am not feeling good about dropping that much cash on a flashlight. It didn't feel "substantial" in my hand, and while I'm sure it wouldn't feel good to have it shined in your eyes, it didn't seem to put out near as much light or project near as far as my 3.8w Inova Bolt. So, I exchanged the Inova I had with the tail cap that was being unreliable for another of the same model, and I'm just crossing my fingers that this one holds up better. I guess we'll see. Thanks for all the input though.
    .40 is fine.

Buy cheap, buy twice...

I carry my E2D whenever I need to be discrete, never had a problem carrying it on planes, nightclubs etc.
    Had to wash mine off once. It was covered in blood after I used it to get loose from a choke hold. I carry the E2D IWB and when I needed I could get it with my free hand. With limited motion I couldn't strike, so I pressed the bezel into the attackers forearm and then twisted. The bezel cut easily into the bone. He screamed and let go so I was free.

I have been carrying an E2D for about 2 years now, just switched to an L1. I used it all the time, and it never really went through a lot of batteries. I just like the 2 light levels and smaller size of the L1 better.

Now my wife is carrying the E2d.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links