Mace

This is a discussion on Mace within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whats the best Mace on the market to use as a key chain?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mace

Mace

Whats the best Mace on the market to use as a key chain?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "Mace" is pretty much out of the picture these days, replaced by OC "pepper" sprays. Of those, there is much debate, but Fox OC spray comes very highly recommended by several folks I trust.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Ok....i will search for it....thank you

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dont use mace , use oc . IIRC gander mtn and other " big box " stores sell oc that sized for bears , it is stronger than what is marketed in most places for humans .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ok thanks...have a Gander Mtn about an hour away

Brandy there are several variants of oc on the market , such as foam , wide spray canisters , ect . You really need to spend a bit of time researching ( if nothing else get out the phone book and go to the local " cop shop " where they buy uniforms and leather ( likely a trip to the nearest big city if i understand right ) . Police use a lesser concentration of oc for a reason .. it is less likely to kill due to breathing distress now for my self i dont care if the guy expires , but depts do and for a reason . Remember chemical defense is " Less lethal " not non lethal . Take a bit of time and study up a bit then get what fits your true needs .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I prefer OC to mace myself, I like ASP and me and my wife both carry it on our keychains. The ASP OC is 10% one of the highest concentration for the public.

My instructor told me it is a great weapon to have to give you time to pull your concealed weapon if you dont have time. You can walk out into parking lots and have it available in your hand legally, unlike a handgun.
    If your jumped closely then you can use the spray to give yourself some time, if needed, to pull your weapon.

I am researching now. I cant find the 10% kind, yet...but looking

My instructor told me it is a great weapon to have to give you time to pull your concealed weapon if you dont have time.
    I personally beg to differ . A chemical weapon such as mace is not sutiable to use to " buy time " to get your ccw , such time is much better spent by creating distance while drawing than screwing around . Less than lethal devices have a narrow use and most times it is not in conjunction with a handgun. If your states laws do not allow you to shoot an unarmed larger than you assailant due to disparity of force then spraying him and running like hell is an option you can use . Think about chemical defense along the lines i mentioned tho , not as a buy time untill i can draw scenario. Its hard to justify shooting someone after you " maced them " since " EVERYONE KNOWS " that they if not knocked on their butts by the " mace " at least cannot see and thusly are not a danger to anyone .

VIP Member
    Be wary of the "10%" label as the end-all and be-all of potency. That percentage is simply the ratio of active ingredient to inactive ingredients, and is not a actual measure of effectiveness from one brand to another. Different brands have different "potencies" of oleoresin capsicum (the stuff that makes it work) in them, so 10% of a weaker potency might actually be less effective than 5% of a stronger potency...

In the end, though, most of the "major" brands are pretty good. I've been sprayed by three brands, and I couldn't really tell the difference (they all hurt!). I have yet to get a dose of Fox, but I've heard from people who would know that it is a bit more potent. Good luck in the search!

ETA: Ditto what RR said. OC then handgun may be a viable option, but don't count on it as being the only or best option. Of course, it's better than nothing at all...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My understanding is that it is more about SHU (some unit of heat measurement) than %. Also check if your state has any limitations on %, MI allows only 2% for civilians. I don't recall texas having that limit, but I haven't lived there in a lot of years. Anyhow, I've taken a hit of the FOX labs 2% and it took me pretty well out of the fight.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ok...maybe I didnt explain fully what my instructor said. He said of course if you are caught off guard and have only your Spray to use to defend yourself, then you can start spraying at him while backing up as fast (without falling) as you can to put some distance between you and the assailant, while working your handgun out of its confinement to use if the guy comes at you again, or starts firing a weapon. Any better?

Thanks for the help....I will search when I get home.

LOL brandy , makes a bit more sense tho not the way i would train students myself .
    Last edited by QKShooter; December 13th, 2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: edit out off topic

Sabre red is a really good spray too.

Administrator

J&L Self Defense Products

Here is the link to their Key-Chain units.
    Buy the Fox Labs. Their OC Spray is ALWAYS fresh.
    http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/s...me.php?cat=282
    They have lightning FAST Shipping.
    I will personally vouch for this company.
    They are ultra reputable and polite.
    Call them up & place a phone order.
    Buy a couple more for your friends.
    Absolutely SAFE to place a credit card order with them by phone.
    I have been dealing with them for years now.
    My credit card # has been on file with them for years.
    Never any problems.

An advantage to the FOX LABS Key-Chain Units is that you can pop the bottom part that holds your keys off in case you need to go in somewhere where you cannot take OC Spray but you DO need to take your keys. You can pop your keys off and leave the OC Spray in the car.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links