Strobe light

This is a discussion on Strobe light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a quick search. I didn't see anything here. I was watching Personal Defense TV. Topic was low light conditions. The guy had a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strobe light

Strobe light

I did a quick search. I didn't see anything here. I was watching Personal Defense TV. Topic was low light conditions. The guy had a strobe flashlight, it would disorient you. And prevent your pupil reaction time enough to move to within inches of your assailant. Anyone know about these?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I saw the show too, and I thought it was pretty cool.

I found this link to a stobe tatical light, from combat optical:

http://www.combatoptical.com/catalog...ction-305.html
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

My NovaTac EDC85 has programmable light levels plus strobe & SOS. I am able to comfortably carry it in my pants pocket. I would have preferred to get the 120 lumen, although it may not fit in the pocket.

Watched it last night as well and I've got a couple of Surefire lights but I didn't even know that those stroble lights existed. The demonstrations they did with testing a person's balance and showing that it's almost impossible to notice movement with that light in your face really impressed me! Going to have to find one of those somewhere. ("Oh Santa, would you have time for just one more present for me???")
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The Blackhawk Gladius is the original bright strobe light.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=75200&C=C1783
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Did they talk about the effects of the person holding the strobe? I'd think the effect would be not as bad, but did they show any effect at all?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

dunndw...the instructor using the light did not seem to have any "ill effects" from the light at all. Tom Gresham was the individual that the light was fixed upon and he acted shocked at how big an impact it had on him. Something new to me... very interesting.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

My Fenix P3D Q5 has a strobe feature. It definitely freaks out your retina in the dark.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've also got the Fenix P3D with the strobe, although mine is the 160 lumen Cree version, not the 215 lumen Q5. The one they used in the video looked like the rechargeable Streamlight Stinger.

hmm. interesting idea. i have dealt with larger strobe lights before, for non self defense reasons. i can defiantly see it working. may have a small effect on you as well, but nothing compared to the person you are shinning it at.

Couple of things that I dont like about my Fenix P3D Q5 is that

1. it does not have a flat bezel to prevent it from rolling around when laid on it's side.

2. it has no belt clip.

3. it has no momentary on/off capability.

A Surefire 60 lumen light manually strobbed can mess you up in a hurry.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I did a quick search. I didn't see anything here. I was watching Personal Defense TV. Topic was low light conditions. The guy had a strobe flashlight, it would disorient you. And prevent your pupil reaction time enough to move to within inches of your assailant. Anyone know about these?
    My Blackhawk Gladius has a strobe setting.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=75200
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Argus,

I saw that episode and the illuminator he was using was a Blackhawk 'Gladius'.
    I have one and have had it for some time now. It's a pricey but excellent product, high functional value IMHO.
    As to what they depicted on PDTV the same effect works on dogs. It'll stop and confuse my dog in his tracks even when he's all hyped up and wanting to play.

Dunn there is no effect to the operator at all, unless you aim the light into a highly reflective surface such as your bathroom medicine cabinet mirror like a moron...as I once did to see how much the strobe effect sucks.
    It sucks.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

made me feel kind of off balance just watching the video
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links