Laser sights...useful as a deterrent? or just a waste of money?

This is a discussion on Laser sights...useful as a deterrent? or just a waste of money? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at getting the grip activated laser sight for my XD9 and I was just wondering how many people have or would consider ...

View Poll Results: Laser sights: Useful or a waste of money?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Complete waste of money.

29 27.10%
  • Useful only if accuracy is a concern.

10 9.35%
  • Helps in a SHTF moment because you know where your shots are going to go.

59 55.14%
  • Great deterrent because the BG knows where you shot is going to go.

21 19.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser sights...useful as a deterrent? or just a waste of money?

Laser sights...useful as a deterrent? or just a waste of money?

I was looking at getting the grip activated laser sight for my XD9 and I was just wondering how many people have or would consider getting a laser sight. I was trying to figure out if it would be useful or not. My XD9 shoots basically where I point, so I'm not worried about accuracy. I was just thinking if I ever did have to draw my CCW not necessarily to shoot, but to deter(example: parking lot late at night or getting gas at a gas station or whatever and a few unsavory looking guys start to approach you). Obviously, shooting is out of the question, but for me, I don't really want to let a couple of toughs get real close to me without knowing their intentions(I recall the Tueller Drill). Do you think laser sights might be a tactical or psychological advantage against a BG?
    Also, in a stressful situation where you actually do have to shoot, do you think it would help to have the added security of knowing exactly where you are aiming?
    And I guess as a related question, if you were in above situation, would you ask them to stay back? tell them you are armed? draw weapon to be prepared?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Berney - do a search (new smilie - ) - we did have a pretty comprehensive thread (or two!) not so long ago - before you joined almost for sure.

I couldn't vote because actually nothing matched my own take ... and I do not regard these as any sorta dissincentive for BG's either.

I'll repeat what I so often do - laser sighting is an adjunct - no more - proper use of irons and ability to point shoot matter most. If however we shoot normally but happen to see the dot then it might help. If however anyone is relying on it and looking for a dot - that is valuable/critical time wasted.

Shooting from cover it could IMO be invaluable - and probably could come into play more on later shots - but almost for sure not shots #1 and #2 - if stressed. I have six sets - three on semi's and three on revo's so yeah - I happen to like having them
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    ...I couldn't vote because actually nothing matched my own take ... and I do not regard these as any sorta dissincentive for BG's either.

I'll repeat what I so often do - laser sighting is an adjunct - no more - proper use of irons and ability to point shoot matter most. If however we shoot normally but happen to see the dot then it might help. If however anyone is relying on it and looking for a dot - that is valuable/critical time wasted.

Shooting from cover it could IMO be invaluable - and probably could come into play more on later shots - but almost for sure not shots #1 and #2 - if stressed. I have six sets - three on semi's and three on revo's so yeah - I happen to like having them
    +1 on that!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Well, I did not vote in the poll because none of those would apply to me. I have a pulse laser attached to my AR-15 front sight with a pressure switch on the handguard. I also have an M-6 tactical light/laser/laser&light that gets attached to the night-time security pistol. In my humble opinion---the laser definitely has a profound psychological impact for the one wielding the weapon, and against anyone who would want to test the demeanor of said person, in the dark/night-time scenario. Possums however could care less.

Here we go again!! I'd recommend checking the recent posts (the past month or so) of this forum for similar subjects. It will answer your questions and save everyone a lot of time and typing.

Personally, I like them, have several and think they serve a valuable purpose in training, target acquisition and (though there are those who disagree) do have a degree of deterrence under certain circumstances. HOWEVER, they do not replace proper gun training/handling procedures, knowing how to use the sights your gun came with, or will adequately compensate for a lack of the above.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    Here we go again!! I'd recommend checking the recent posts (the past month or so) of this forum for similar subjects. It will answer your questions and save everyone a lot of time and typing.
    Okay, I sent a PM to P95 to apologize, but it's obvious I need to say the same thing here. I recently joined the post, I did read the other threads. I just didn't know if it was better to reply to a dead thread or just start a new one. So, if starting a new thread was the wrong choice, I'm sorry...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Anything that assists with good shot placement is a good thing. Worth the money? What is a bullet hole in the BG's heart versus a bullet hole in his arm or the wall behind him worth? Inches count.

Administrator
    Yeah, I'm here.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I think it is combo of the last three choices...I would like to think it is a deterrant, BUT I feel like if I have to pull my gun...there will be a reason and if the sight of my gun doesn't stop the BG...at little red dot isn't going to either.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Buz
    I feel that 'in the gravest extreme' a little red dot will not be part of the equation. When shooting for self-defense purposes, I highly doubt you are going to line the red dot up with a specific body part and then pull the trigger. A red dot is good for an offensive shooter who has the time to line up first and then pull the trigger. They are also good for shooting at the range. But in a panic situation, you won't even see the red dot. Save your money.

VIP Member
    Lasers have there place. If you decide to use one, don't let it be a substitute for your sights. Most of the time the only aid a laser gives is in developing bad habits!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I don't like them since they can break when the SHTF time.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

last 2 sum it up perfectly for why i have mine

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I don't like them since they can break when the SHTF time.
    well yea, so can anything. and i certainly would never rely 100% on one, but its there if i need it

Administrator

I can envision some possible SHTF circumstances where having a projected red dot keyed in at the exact POI would be highly useful and maybe lifesaving in certain life threatening scenarios and situations.

Lasers are also a God-Send for some defensive folks with vision related idiosyncrasies.

And certainly people who are not willing or able to practice much with their carry firearm but, still have the desire and right to "armed self-defense" are probably better off having a laser system than not having one.

Sorry...I couldn't resist putting on a pic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links