Who uses lanyards?

Who uses lanyards?

This is a discussion on Who uses lanyards? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we have a thread on carrying in a boat and the funny off-topic thread on cutting a ball out of a catfish's mouth. Both ...

Thread: Who uses lanyards?

VIP Member

Who uses lanyards?

So we have a thread on carrying in a boat and the funny off-topic thread on cutting a ball out of a catfish's mouth. Both are situations where keeping your knife (or even a gun) on a lanyard is a good idea so your precious tool doesn't end up at the bottom of a murky lake when you're using it.

I've also heard of a gun or two dropping into the deep blue yonder of a porta-john. (Those probably were the results of bad holster retention.)

So who here actually uses lanyards on their gear?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Depends on what it is. See I actually don't relish the idea of a lanyard on a knife because I don't like the idea of this sharp object dangling from my wrist. That's another reason I like the Hideaway. It offers excellent retention without that kind of problem. I'll admit though its short cutting edge doesn't lend itself to some jobs.

I put lanyards on some flashlights and not on some others, just depends. I usually pick one piece of gear that gets the lanyard treatment. For instance I have one fighting stick with a lanyard, I have one sheath knife with a lanyard, etc.

I've always been cheifly concerned about the possibility of getting snagged by the wrist because of a lanyard.

Assistant Administrator
    I think Betty I'd only go that route under more extreme conditions. Not every-day anyways.

Boating sure would be one - had a buddy lose his 1911 in the water. Flashlights and knives too certainly safer if ''attached'' - however I have found often that lanyards are really a PITA when it comes to free movement etec - get caught up too easy.

Being so ancient now I doubt there are many times I'll be in those situations any more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Hey Betty, I'm not saying that I love my Kimber or anything------ BUT------iffen I dropped it into the deepest porta-pottie---- I'D GO AFTER IT !!--------

Lead Moderator
    My HK UsP is on a lanyard from Blackhawk every boat trip and wilderness camp trip I go on. I would rather not lose my pistol.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    When I was in Baghdad Iraq we had a guy forget his 9mm in a port-a-let. Soon after that our area commander made it mandatory to have a lanyard attached.
    We hated that - kept hanging up on stuff getting in and out of hummer.
    Most of us rigged a lanyard that we could remove when leaving our compound and attach when coming back in.

I think it may have been handy way back when bouncing around on horseback but wasn't a good idea for us.
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator

Just For Your Information

Original & Vintage Military 1911 Lanyards are usually selling for upwards of $50.00 each these days on Ebay.

For my field gear (for Amateur radio call outs, search and rescue, etc) all of my gear (flashlights, compass, GPS, knives, signal mirrors, whistles, pistols, etc) has lanyards.

I don't use one for day to day carry however.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Lightbulb Dummy Cords?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    So who here actually uses lanyards on their gear?
    I did in the army. Back then we called them DUMMY CORDS and you could get into major trouble if your equipment wasn't tied to you, including a 90mm RR or an M60! I don't use them these days, but I would in a survival situation or a protracted stay in the woods. IIRC the SEALs use a DC that's like a coiled phone cord. Makes it so much more compact in carry mode, but stretches all the way up to extended sight picture with no problem. That's a pretty good idea.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I always use a belt clip for my tactical folder and my flashlight.

I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Hey Betty, I'm not saying that I love my Kimber or anything------ BUT------iffen I dropped it into the deepest porta-pottie---- I'D GO AFTER IT !!--------

I like and second your thoughts,

Eric

Kimber Custom II w/ns and internal extractor
    Kimber Eclipse Pro II w/ns and internal extractor

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I did in the army. Back then we called them DUMMY CORDS and you could get into major trouble if your equipment wasn't tied to you, including a 90mm RR or an M60! I don't use them these days, but I would in a survival situation or a protracted stay in the woods. IIRC the SEALs use a DC that's like a coiled phone cord. Makes it so much more compact in carry mode, but stretches all the way up to extended sight picture with no problem. That's a pretty good idea.

Yup my BH lanyard is coiled . Works well , and hasn't snagged on anything yet.

Sponsored Links