'quick-don' body armor with PAL or MOLLE?

This is a discussion on 'quick-don' body armor with PAL or MOLLE? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thread asking where you keep your firearm at night reminded me of something I've been chewing on a while. It seems to me the ...

Thread: 'quick-don' body armor with PAL or MOLLE?

The thread asking where you keep your firearm at night reminded me of something I've been chewing on a while.

It seems to me the problem with the bump-in-the-night issue is that you are likely to be undressed, pick up your firearm, maybe a flashlight and react.

What if you need extra ammunition? What if you forget your light? Are you going to be able to grab the cell phone too?

What if you want to pick up your shotgun but don't want to lose your sidearm?

You just don't have enough hands and you probably don't have any pockets.

It occurred to me that if you had a tactical vest with a holster for your side arm attached, spare mags, light, maybe spare light, etc., you could pull it out from under the bed, throw it on and be in a much better situation. And it prevents you from forgetting something because it is attached to the vest.

So if you have the vest there, it might as well be body armor since that gives you an advantage as well.

So.... The question I have is who makes a body armor model that is 1) quick to put on (front opening?) and 2) has PALs or MOLLE attachment points? I've looked at a number of web sites, but it is hard to tell from just the site descriptions/pictures.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-john

Sounds good, heavy, and expensive; but, I'm interested also.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    I have, ahem, 5 different sets of body armor... I just seem to acquire them here and there, ya know?

So, under my bed is a level 3A with lvl 4 ceramic plates (an older Diamondback Tactical model). It has MOLLE attachment points, and has attached to it two M4 ammo pouches (each holding two 32rd mags for the Colt SMG), a triple pistol mag pouch with three mags for the P228, a Surefire pouch with a G@2 6v Surefire, and a GP pouch with batteries for the Surefire and EOTech, a CRKT M16-14T, a whistle, and a bunch of chem-lights. The P228 is on the nightstand, next to another Surefire and the cell phone (and my emergency radio, but most folks don't have Marines on the other end of their Motorola...lol). I have a pair of desert boots sitting next to the bed, just in front of the vest.

Soooo.... Bumpee in the night gets to see me wearing boxers (if they're lucky), a crazy vest, and deset boots when I go peeking around looking for them. Hopefully, it's not a particularly hot night, or I might have forgone the boxers...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have, ahem, 5 different sets of body armor... I just seem to acquire them here and there, ya know?

So, under my bed is a level 3A with lvl 4 ceramic plates (an older Diamondback Tactical model). It has MOLLE attachment points, and has attached to it two M4 ammo pouches (each holding two 32rd mags for the Colt SMG), a triple pistol mag pouch with three mags for the P228, a Surefire pouch with a G@2 6v Surefire, and a GP pouch with batteries for the Surefire and EOTech, a CRKT M16-14T, a whistle, and a bunch of chem-lights. The P228 is on the nightstand, next to another Surefire and the cell phone (and my emergency radio, but most folks don't have Marines on the other end of their Motorola...lol). I have a pair of desert boots sitting next to the bed, just in front of the vest.

Soooo.... Bumpee in the night gets to see me wearing boxers (if they're lucky), a crazy vest, and deset boots when I go peeking around looking for them. Hopefully, it's not a particularly hot night, or I might have forgone the boxers...
    The last part = TMI
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    The thread asking where you keep your firearm at night reminded me of something I've been chewing on a while.

It seems to me the problem with the bump-in-the-night issue is that you are likely to be undressed, pick up your firearm, maybe a flashlight and react.

What if you need extra ammunition? What if you forget your light? Are you going to be able to grab the cell phone too?

What if you want to pick up your shotgun but don't want to lose your sidearm?

You just don't have enough hands and you probably don't have any pockets.

It occurred to me that if you had a tactical vest with a holster for your side arm attached, spare mags, light, maybe spare light, etc., you could pull it out from under the bed, throw it on and be in a much better situation. And it prevents you from forgetting something because it is attached to the vest.

So if you have the vest there, it might as well be body armor since that gives you an advantage as well.

So.... The question I have is who makes a body armor model that is 1) quick to put on (front opening?) and 2) has PALs or MOLLE attachment points? I've looked at a number of web sites, but it is hard to tell from just the site descriptions/pictures.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-john
    I've got a bucket that has stuff in it Chem light with a spare set of house keys with my address on it. AR mags a spare change of cloths, cell phone, Flash light and batteries, electronic ear muffs If you stay in your room aim at the funnel/bottle neck aka bedroom Door. I don't think you really need body armor also some places its illegal for civilians. Plus it may actually be a hinderance if you need to go mobil. As soon as you go mobil you now are the hunted. You have also totally changed your shooting dynamic, because you probably have never fired with body armor on. The point at which you need to go mobil is the point where you might need it. But I would rather be light , then be weighted down with gear. If you establish good cover aka a book shelf you probably don't "NEED" it, but if you have a lot of money in piles around and want to get something really neat I ain't stopping you.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Well, I've spent a LOT of time in body armor (and a lot more gear), so it's not really an issue for me. If you just wear a "soft" vest, it won't affect you much. If you wear plates, train with them on - they will change how you shoot a long gun somewhat.

I do agree that "barricade" is probably the smart move if you're fairly certain that someone is in your house, but most of the time you're just not sure... I'm just dumb enough to go check it out. Hopefully, the anti-climb fence, the German shepherd, or the alarm has detered the BG - but if not, well, I can hope the sight of me will cause howls of derisive laughter, and I can get the jump on him...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I would hate to see the news report on this one...
    "CHL with body armor, tactical assault rifle, military grade flashlight, and especially lethal hollow point rounds shoots and kills victim who was breaking and entering."
    They would try to make you into a David Koresh or something.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Except it would read "Federal Agent shoots home invader with issued gear..."

Administrator
    I think the vest etc., is just a bit of an overkill for the homeowner type of situation. I like a small pack, almost like a "man purse" if you will for these types of situations. Just something large enough to toss a couple of spare mags, light, basic first aid etc into.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I admit, it's probably a bit much... But, I have it all laying around, so why not put it to use? As an aside, I may be selling some of my vests/plates/goodies as I pair down for another trip to the sandbox (where I'm sure to be issued yet another bunch of kit!)

I don't think its too much...I say whatever advantage you can take to keep you safe and the BG's neutralized is great. That's why we carry and train in the first place...I was just picturing how our 'Free Press' would spin it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I used to use a fanny pack with a couple of spare magazines, an old cellphone, a handheld light and a chemlight attached to a spare housekey & a luggage tag with my address. I replaced the zipper pulls with 550 cord to keep it from jingling. I could buckle it or just throw it over a shoulder if I was in a hurry.

Not as highspeed as a vest and it offered no ballistic protection, but significantly less expensive and equally effective at keeping the essentials close at hand.

For years I have kept a set of Alice gear with spare magazines, knife, flashlight, Glock 23 and a S&W 3000 riot shotgun with a Choate folding stock and a bandeleer of 12 gauge in the closet buy my bed.

I could see where a vest could come in handy. Especially if you want to switch from your handgun to a long gun. I'm not sure if I would ever use such a thing though. My train of thought is that I will most likely grab my shotgun if there is a bump in the night. Not to mention in VA there isn't a castle doctrin so my priority is to get to my sons room and get my wife and my son out of the apartment.

I could see it getting blown up in the media though if you ever were involved in a situation. We all know how they like to twist things.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Like OPFOR has alluded to, I know the BG(s) do not want to see me right of bed and into a tactical vest. But it is an interesting idea.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Sponsored Links