The Gladius Light - Neat! But $$$

This is a discussion on The Gladius Light - Neat! But $$$ within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some GREAT Hi-Tech features on this 80 Lumen Tac Light. It is kinda pricey though. Take A Look! CLICK HERE TO SWITCH ON THE GLADIUS ...

Thread: The Gladius Light - Neat! But $$$

Administrator

The Gladius Light - Neat! But $$$

Some GREAT Hi-Tech features on this 80 Lumen Tac Light.
    It is kinda pricey though.
    Take A Look!
    CLICK HERE TO SWITCH ON THE GLADIUS LIGHT!

The Gladius
    This essential tactical illumination tool was designed for our modern day warriors.

BlackHawk and Night-Ops have created a flashlight with incredible durability, output and features. Buy it for the looks, buy it for the name, but if you’re serious, buy it because it is a true fighting tool.

State of the art features include:

• Digital Intelligence: Multiple Modes
    -Channel 1: Momentary
    Use this to shine the full power of the Gladius on any threat.
    -Channel 2: Strobe
    This setting is deployed when the operator wishes to close the gap or disorient threats.
    -Channel 3: Constant On / Adjustable
    Programmable feature allows you to set the Gladius to turn on at any level of brightness and
    adjust the light output levels.

The Gladius can be set to turn on at full power and dim while the push-button tailcap is pressed. It can also be set at minimal power then brighten to your desired level. These functions allow you to use the full power to blind and disorient a threat or the lower settings to see without squinting in confined areas.

Other Features include:
    •Length 6.23" / Weight 6.63 oz.
    •Bezel diameter 1.25" / Body diameter 1"
    •Waterproof to 50 meters
    •Contact Free Switching – no contacts to wear out
    •Auto Temperature Control prevents battery drain and burnout
    •Low Battery Indication let’s you know when you need new CR123s
    •Exceptionally Hard Liquid Ceramic Coating Finish
    •Maximum Hotspot Reflector for downrange illumination while still giving a good spread
    •UCL Glass: The Ultra Clear Lens protects the reflector, transmitting 99% of the light output
    Runtime:
    • Up to 90 minutes @ full output (80+ Lumens)
    • 400+ hours @ lowest setting (approximately .8 Lumens)

Need to secure your new Gladius to a weapon? See the GG&G Mounting Options for more information.

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a good light but ouch the price I would want to see it tested against some of the others before i would flip the bill for that

80+ Lumens. I want more power! I just dont wana just slightly phase the BG. I want to blind the snot out of him/her

Not worth $250 IMHO

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Looks like a good light but ouch the price I would want to see it tested against some of the others before i would flip the bill for that
    I might can do that! This fall I think I'm going to have my evening Projects Class repeat the tact light tests my daytime class did last semester so I can compare the results.

I wanted to add a few new lights and the Gladius would be a good one to test. We'll be doing intensity discharge tests and subjective tests.

I have found that nothing commonly available in handheld tact lights that beats the Streamlight TL3 and Ultra Stinger for intensity. The TL3 uses three CR123 Batts and the Ultra Stinger is a rechargeable light. The TL3 is almost as bright as the UltraStinger and much smaller. The TL3 is hard to beat for high intensity in a handheld.

Administrator

Thumbs up GREAT! - Tangle Keep Us Posted.

Me Personally...I am not able to look at an 80 lumen light.
    My eyes are very light sensitive.
    Less than 80 lumens would still probably be blinding to me especially at night.
    I wear dark sunglasses even on a cloudy day.

Assistant Administrator
    Price - OUCH!!

Certainly seems a top class item but - my Surefire E1e - small tho it is, is all I need. Even that with such a relatively low output level still ''hurts'' all eyes I have tried it on.

If I do get another flashlight (and I collect them a bit - never sure why!) - I will consider a Streamlight this time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...If I do get another flashlight (and I collect them a bit - never sure why!) - I will consider a Streamlight this time.
    After seeing the results of our tests, I carry a Streamlight TL2 LED. The LEDs are not the best as a tactical light because of lower power output and poor color rendering, but the TL2 LED has that blinding effect, runs over two hours at nearly full intensity and then over 12 hours with reduced, but very useable light. It just won't reach out as far as the higher output Xenon bulb lights.

It's almost like a fella needs to carry two lights anyway, and your E1E would be a good complement for a TL2 LED light. I haven't compared them, but I suspect the E1E will be considerably brighter, and the TL2 LED will last over twice as long. It'd be a good combination and pretty easy to carry.

We tested the Surefire L2 (LED) and after 30 minutes, it got so hot it started blinking off and on and was so hot it was uncomfortable to hold. The same thing happened with my Surefire Aviator - that's another handy light, but pricey. It has a Xenon bulb for the tactical light and it is surrounded by three low power LEDs. It lasted about 30 minutes before it overheated and started blinking.

I contacted Surefire and they vowed that that should not happen and gave me an RMA to return the two lights.

It is interesting that of some 20 lights we tested, it was only the electronic models that failed, and curiously they were both Surefire.

The brightest LED light we tested was the Inova, I bought it from Botach for $49.95. I understand there is a new, brighter, Inova out now. If there is I'm going to buy one and test it.

VIP Member
    Yikes! The price on that thing makes my Surefire look like it came out of the bargain bin.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I've been using a gladius for about six weeks now and was about to post a review, after taking it through a live fire low light class and an airsoft drills class that was about 25% done in low light.

It'll take me a day to get it posted so stay tuned...
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Administrator

TwoRavens - Tangle

Looking forward to hearing from somebody that is actually using one. That will be great hearing from you.

And...Thanks Much! for your worthwhile addition Tangle.

Senior Moderator
    I forgot this and I feel that it is important:

When I talked to Surefire about the two light failures, the person asked me if I was using Surefire batteries. I said no, we used Sanyo batteries ($1.00 each from Botach). He said that may be the problem that they have seen problems using batteries other than Surefire batteries. I said, "That's not good at all! What if I'm out somewhere and need batteries and have to buy Duracells at a drugstore or somewhere?" He just said, "We know."

Sooo, I installed some Surefire batteries and repeated the test. The lights still failed.

Just something to think about.

Lead Moderator
    Will try to get a Gladius light for a test and eval. Not sure if they would be worth it , but I like the strobe idea.

Links