Maybe time for a safe.

Maybe time for a safe.

This is a discussion on Maybe time for a safe. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the time has come. Just purchases a new 50 cal black powder gun for the boy this Christmas. Looking around I count nine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe time for a safe.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Maybe time for a safe.

I think the time has come. Just purchases a new 50 cal black powder gun for the boy this Christmas. Looking around I count nine rifles and shotguns and between my wife and I seven hand guns of various calibers. Not to mention plenty of ammo for each. Looking around it appears that rather than get the nice new 1911 Iíd like itís going to be a $1,000 to $1,500 gun safe instead. After I find a place to put it. My wife suggests our bedroom. Now, how many of you have significant others that would suggest that? So the hunt begins the scary part after the cost of course is getting it into the house. Maybe we should work a deal, you help me with mine Iíll help you with yours. Not sure at what count a safe is a reasonable purchase but Iím thinking that any gun not carried needs to be locked up when the house is empty. So for us it probably was at the count of three as my wife carries too. Oh well better now than after they have found their way on to the street.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Most safe retailers will deliver...LET THEM!

I agree, let them deliver and set up, save your back and your jewles. It is usually about $150 +/- depending on where you live and how big the safe is. They have a special powered dolly that makes it a snap.

I think it's "safe" to say you need a "safe" if not needed a "safe" for a while now.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

best purchase you will ever make
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

If you do try to carry it home yourself, learn from me. A full-sized safe on a two-wheeled dolly WILL break floor tiles!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I just ordered a safe today. Should be here in a week. The feeling of security will be nice.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    I just ordered a safe today. Should be here in a week. The feeling of security will be nice.
    Mike
    Wise purchase...and you will find you feel better when leaving the house.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Boy, I remember trying to get my safe into the house. Had 3 friends come over and that's all we wanted to handle! It's not so much the weight of it (mine was about 800lbs) but there just isn't a great way to handle them. Slick sides and a dolly is akward too.

Hope you get one though. Very wise investment. I no longer worry about anything when I go on vacation.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If you do try to carry it home yourself, learn from me. A full-sized safe on a two-wheeled dolly WILL break floor tiles!

.....and I thought that I was the only one to have learned that the hard way!

Let me add one thing. Broken tiles will upset mama no end.....and as we all know, if mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    After I find a place to put it. My wife suggests our bedroom. Now, how many of you have significant others that would suggest that?
    Worked for me..have ours in the corner and it comes in handy as a tv stand also!

VIP Member
    Is your bedroom on the second floor? If so you might want to reconsider putting it there. It will be a super hassle of getting it up there. If you have it delivered it will cost extra if they have to take it up the stairs as well. You might also consider getting the exact dimension of the safe in advance and cutting a piece of 3/4 in plywood to set it on, to help distribute the weight, as well as balance it out if setting on carpet. If your house has a concrete slab floor you don't need to worry about weight distribution.

Administrator
    I'd say its time to get a safe too. I would keep it in a basement or main floor.

For the tile problems, I laid down a path of plywood over my tile and had no problems.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool Quality safe

I think probably the best way to get a really good quality gun safe in your house is to build the house around the safe.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Good idea to get a safe. Better late then never. May I suggest that you get one that will be allot bigger. If you think you will get five more guns in the future get a safe that will hold fifteen more then you think you will ever own. Gun safes have a real bad habit of running out of room real fast.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd say its time to get a safe too. I would keep it in a basement or main floor.

For the tile problems, I laid down a path of plywood over my tile and had no problems.
    We've just decided to tile the entire house next week. The company agreed to move the two safes...said no problem...apparently have an 'air dolly'...said it could move very heavy stuff with one finger...jacks it up and floats on a cushion of air...we'll see.
    They guarantee the work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links