Brass knuckles

Brass knuckles

This is a discussion on Brass knuckles within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Ky I can carry all kinds of weapons. I can see where brass knuckles and pepper spray could become an alternative. If I find ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass knuckles

VIP Member

Brass knuckles

In Ky I can carry all kinds of weapons. I can see where brass knuckles and pepper spray could become an alternative. If I find myself in a confrontation with someone that has no visible weapon that is my size or smaller, I'd do anything I could to keep from using my gun. Anyone carry brass knuckles? Any reason not to carry it? I know alot of states they are illegal. In states where you can't carry them, does anyone know if they can be locked in a box if traveling through their state? Kinda hard to find info on it. How many of your states allow them?

They are illegal here.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If I find myself in a confrontation with someone that has no visible weapon that is my size or smaller, I'd do anything I could to keep from using my gun.
    So great , from your post i presume that includes being an adult and walking off not to be in the fight in the first place . That sir is a fine start on a responsible person .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Most states classify brass knuckles and blackjacks as weapons, and they have this classification within their own paragraph or citation -- if you're in a state where you can carry any "weapon," then in theory you could carry brass knuckles. However, the state will consider them exactly the same as a firearm if you use them. They are well beyond using pepper spray or a flashlight (or whatever else, like a cane).
    I'm not an attorney and I'd suggest you check with one in your area for specifics, but part of my job is studying state weapon and firearm laws, so I'm reasonably versed in these kinds of things.

Brass knuckles could definately be considered lethal force. If I'm going to use lethal force the brass knuckles woulnd't be my first choice. I also don't think they are as useful a tool and a collapsible baton, which is still illegal here in MI anyway. Carry pepper spray and your gun, but do as redneck says and just walk away first.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I carry a surefire as a blinding alternative. Knife, kershaw. extra clip.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight, much less brass knuckles. There was a post here a few weeks ago talking about a guy that got in a fist fight while he was carrying and I think the overwhelming opinion was that there is no way you should get in a physical altercation while carrying. Too much chance of losing possesion of your CCW or it becoming exposed and needlessly escalating the situtation. If you are carrying and you get in a fight, there is already at least one gun involved, yours. Hopefully, you can walk away or avoid the situation completely, but I would say using brass knuckles on an apparently unarmed man is already escalating the situation. I know for a fact that if a guy is coming at me with brass knuckles I am definitely going to use force to stop that threat, up to and including deadly force.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Illegal in Texas IIRC.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    Never bring a knife to a gun fight, much less brass knuckles...
    I'm sure the forum's discussed this before (here and elsewhere).

On the subject of brass knuckles, what role do you perceive them to fill that isn't filled better by something else? I'd much rather go to a knife or open-hand if someone's already close enough to employ brass knuckles and use of force was unavoidable.

-B

I still hold with my statement. I would not use brass knuckles on an apparently unarmed man, and I would never allow myself to get in a physical fight while carrying a pistol. And plus, brass knuckles are illegal in my state. I'll stick with pepper spray and a pistol.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Why not carry a baseball bat with nails driven into it, I'm sure a jury would be as receptive to that as brass knuckles.

Don't need the brass knuckles because I'm not getting into that kind of fight...I'm either going to be running or shooting...no h2h for this old man.

Stay armed...wear track shoes...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    So great , from your post i presume that includes being an adult and walking off not to be in the fight in the first place . That sir is a fine start on a responsible person .
    Why do you assume I wouldn't do ANYTHING in my power to get out of fighting? I'm 50 and only been in one fight in my life and that's because a guy jumped me from behind, never had a clue he was going to do it. Using any other tool besides a gun, could end the confrontation thus keeping me from having to take a life. Some suggest a baton or a knife or pepper spray. All tools to keep from having to use a gun.
    I simply asked "IF" I was in a confrontaion. Sometimes it's unavoidable like it happened to me before. I take offense from you sir by saying I should act like an adult. Thanks for the great input.

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    I still hold with my statement. I would not use brass knuckles on an apparently unarmed man, and I would never allow myself to get in a physical fight while carrying a pistol. And plus, brass knuckles are illegal in my state. I'll stick with pepper spray and a pistol.
    You can not say " you will never allow yourself to get in a physical fight while carrying a pistol". I was'nt carrying at the time, but a guy jumped me for no reason at all. It's sometimes unavoidable..Some idiots if you walk away, they'll come at you anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Why not carry a baseball bat with nails driven into it, I'm sure a jury would be as receptive to that as brass knuckles.
    Brass knuckles are legal in my state, baseball bats with nails are not. If I used brass knuckles , the jury would look at it the same as if you used a knife if its legal for you to carry. I don't own brass knuckles. I'm only asking a question to try to get some input on something that is legal in my state and most of the replies I'm getting are , well , less than helpfull....

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    Most states classify brass knuckles and blackjacks as weapons, and they have this classification within their own paragraph or citation -- if you're in a state where you can carry any "weapon," then in theory you could carry brass knuckles. However, the state will consider them exactly the same as a firearm if you use them. They are well beyond using pepper spray or a flashlight (or whatever else, like a cane).
    I'm not an attorney and I'd suggest you check with one in your area for specifics, but part of my job is studying state weapon and firearm laws, so I'm reasonably versed in these kinds of things.
    Thank you for your helpfull answer....

Back in my early days, alot of the guys carried them. They'll definately do some damage, but wait till you see what your knuckles look like after delivering a few hard blows...they work both ways!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You ever see "Goodfellas"?

I wouldn't even consider brass knucks when a J-frame Smith is available. You can pistol whip a dude with a revolver (if you're out of ammo, it jams up, whatever), but you sure as hell can't shoot a guy with brass knucks...

Just my $ .02
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links