First Surefire

This is a discussion on First Surefire within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for some advice on my first tactical flashlight. I've been considering the Z2 Combatlight, the 6P, the 9P and the 6P LED. These are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Surefire

First Surefire

Looking for some advice on my first tactical flashlight. I've been considering the Z2 Combatlight, the 6P, the 9P and the 6P LED. These are all in my price range. The only thing pushing me towards the Z2 is the rubber grip ring which says it allows it to be operated with a handgun. Right now I don't have a dedicated weaponlight or the funds for one. Has anyone tried this option and does it work? If not, the Z2 seems a little bulky for every day carry in comparison to these other lights. The higher 105 lumen output of the 9P seems a plus. The size and price of the 6P make it attractive but there is also the consideration of the longer run time of the 6P LED. I'm also in the process of buying my first AR15. Until I have the funds to mount a dedicated weaponlight, do they make a product that will allow any of these lights to be attached in a non-cheesy way? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I would say go with the 6P LED. Long battery life, and you can get the bulbs that you use in the standard 6P if you need higher white light output and the desire to kill off batteries. :)

I would also recommend staying with an LED model. I own two Z2s and love them. I have recently converted them to LED with a CREE 150 lumen bulb assembly.

Stay with Surefire - their construction is second to none.

I'm an old 6P man. Do those LED's really put out enough light to do the job across a room?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Oh yeah.

AZ Husker - Brighter and longer battery life.

ckd
    6P LED.

AZ H, despite my skeptisism, I've found the LEDs every bit as good, just a blue tint, not the slightly yellow of the traditional bulb. The battery life and bulb life make it the only way to go.

Surefire makes a LED conversion lamp for the 6P, $39 list price; 80 lumens for 11 hours.

Try this website: http://www.pts-flashlights.com. They have LED flashlights with more lumens and lower price than surefire. I dont know of any product that allows for a non-weapon light to be mounted in a non-cheesy way.

Thanks guys...the stuff I've read said they're great on battery life, and very bright at short distances, but lack in a concentrated beam over 20 feet. I'll be happy to change, those batteries do get expensive! Feedback for the distance concern?
    Tracy

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I gotta go with the L4. Same size as the E2E but with the LED.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Thanks guys. 6P LED is really what I have been leaning towards. But just to clarify one of the main questions of my OP, has no one tried to use the rubber ring handgun attachment on the Z2?

Like those guns that go off by themselves....I was at Lowes today...and a Surefire 6P LED ended up in my bag...that darn debit card was operating without a safety.

Get the 6P...it won't hurt ya!...but it may give you a case of surefiritis
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Any SureFire will serve you well!

I have the E2e...great light!

Any comments about the difference between the E2e with the 'added' KL4 Led head for $129 :vs: the L4 LumaMax for $165?

Surefire states the L4 LumaMax has 100 lumens for 3 hours...but does not give a time for the E2e with the added KL4 led head (does state 100 lumens, but not a time)...I'm assuming a similar time use.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have that affliction - I have 3 surefires and my girlfriend has 1. I can see about 50 feet with my light pretty well and I can illuminate my grandmother's back yard well enough to spot deer in the back quarter (she owns 2 acres). It aint the best at long range, but I doubt you will complain. If you do have a problem with it you can throw a regular bulb into it.

As long as it puts out 60 lumen or greater and has Surefire on it, I like it. LED's have really improved in the last year.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links