help with fitting night sight on an airsoft

This is a discussion on help with fitting night sight on an airsoft within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a set of the truglo TFO's for my airsoft glock 19 replica. The dovetail on the slide of the airsoft gun is too ...

Thread: help with fitting night sight on an airsoft

I have a set of the truglo TFO's for my airsoft glock 19 replica. The dovetail on the slide of the airsoft gun is too big for the sight. When I screw the sight in to tighten it, it raises the rear sight and the sights are off.

I am mechanically disinclined to say the least. What way could I get the rear sights tight on the dovetail that will not raise up the sights and will keep the rear sights from moving laterally?

I'm thinking some type of shim or something in the dovetail or maybe solder the sight onto the slide. Or maybe some type of crazy glue. Will crazy glue work with metal on metal? How would I reverse the crazy glue if I wanted to take the sight off of the slide? If crazy glue or an equivalent will fasten the sight to the slide AND is reversible, I think that would be the way to go.

Please help me. Any ideas or thoughts on what would work well?

My dryfire training for the evening is in jeopardy.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If you care less about appearance and more about reversibility, look into the removable shoe goo type adhesives. They're silicone based, and the removable ones can be pulled up without marring the surface.

I'd suggest filling one side of the slide's dovetail with epoxy, letting it cure, and get a small file. File that epoxy it to the proper angle to allow the TFO to fit the dovetail.

Definitely possible to weld up the slide's dovetail and recut it smaller, or braze/silver solder in the new TFO.

Also, crazy glue will work on metal to metal. To remove the TFO, a little persuasion with a hammer and punch will do it. One rap and it will pop free. If this were a carry piece, I'd advise against crazy glue as it will eventually pop loose. A metal-to-metal fit would be the only solution for a life-critical setup

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    I'd suggest filling one side of the slide's dovetail with epoxy, letting it cure, and get a small file. File that epoxy it to the proper angle to allow the TFO to fit the dovetail.

Definitely possible to weld up the slide's dovetail and recut it smaller, or braze/silver solder in the new TFO.

Also, crazy glue will work on metal to metal. To remove the TFO, a little persuasion with a hammer and punch will do it. One rap and it will pop free. If this were a carry piece, I'd advise against crazy glue as it will eventually pop loose. A metal-to-metal fit would be the only solution for a life-critical setup
    It's an airsoft copy of a Glock, so the slide isn't machined steel - it's cast potmetal or MIM. I don't know if I'd want to apply that much force to it.

Lead Moderator
    How about red locktite and a shim? Locktite will loosen up with some heat, but seems to hold well.
    I guess I have to ask, why night sights on an airsoft???
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the replies. I think shoe goo or crazy glue are the easiest/quickest. I may try that first. I just checked and found that crazy glue can be undone with acetone (nail polish remover). I may just go that route.

Thanks.

It is an airsoft http://www.airsplat.com/Itemdesc.asp...w/ metal slide

It does double duty as dry-firing training with beamhit and in-barrel laser and for Force on Force. With the sigths on, it will mimic my carry piece.

Again, thanks.

Links