Suggestions needed for a pistol light

This is a discussion on Suggestions needed for a pistol light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Sigma40VE as a housegun and I want to mount an inexpensive flashlight on the rail. This light does not have to be ...

Thread: Suggestions needed for a pistol light

Suggestions needed for a pistol light

I have a Sigma40VE as a housegun and I want to mount an inexpensive flashlight on the rail. This light does not have to be powerful, will not be used outside or in a tactical setting. It need only be bright enough to identify a threat across the room. Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. Remove Ads

Well, most of those aren't really "inexpensive". I like my Streamlights though. M-6 on the home pistol, M-3 on the home CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, most of those aren't really "inexpensive". I like my Streamlights though. M-6 on the home pistol, M-3 on the home CAR.
    I have the x3 on my duty pistol and that is a good one.

Lead Moderator
    I use a M6 Streamlight, although not cheap. You still need a bright light, so you can positively ID a threat. You could try a cheap tac light . My buddy had one that seemed to hold up well mounted on his AR.
    He has since traded up to a m3 streamlight, though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

ckd
    If you do a little internet shopping you can pickup the excellent Streamlight TRL-1, an very durable and bright LED, that comes with batteries, is usually cheaper than the previous model incandescent (M3), and better in every respect. Roughly $100, and I use in on long guns too.

Though I'm a fan of rail lights on home defense guns, I would not use that as my primary light unless I had trained extensively with it, since some people under stress will foul up lighting/shooting coordination.

The best option for most handguns is probably a very good momentary tail-cap activated light, the Surefire 6P or 6P LED($85) as an example, using the Harries or other technique, with a seperate light. The other advantage to this is you can apply it directly to your daily EDC CCW package and training.

Just my two cents.

The only one that i have experience with is the M6 Streamlight that I have on my G21 that I keep on my headboard. I really like this light a lot. You could just go with like a Surefire Z2 and keep this handy at night. That way you could use it for other things and really get the good out of it. I keep my Z2 by the bed as well. Can't have too much light in the dark.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    You can get a powerful Surefire G2 for about $35. Learn to use the light and the pistol together and you will be able to handle a variety of low light situations.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

+1 on the Surefire G2. I would love to get a tac light on my XD. I probably will. But for those on the cheap, the G2 will work very well using the Harris technique. Another option is the TLR-1 from Streamlight. Very good rail light for about $100.

I use the Surefire G3. The light output is doubled (from 65 to 105 lumens) and the light is a little longer (it takes 3 CR123 batteries, not two).
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

I just bought a TLR-1. What a great little light. I see me getting a couple more in the near future.

LA Police Gear has them for $89.00.

I ran across some sale items on this website I found an hour ago. I'm still checking out everything they have on this site.
    http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...ryID=40&Page=4

Another vote for the M-6 Streamlight flashlight/laser. Works great for clearing the house and making sure your target is not family. I know it's not cheap but what is your family or friends worth?
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I got a cheaper $25 white LED light at one of the local gunshows that I like. It's just as bright as the $100 ones, and uses the same rail mount as the $100 ones. If I was using it all the time and practicing with it a lot, then I'd probably spring for the $100 one. (I bought a cheap $40 red dot scope once and when it died in 2 weeks, I knew why everyone was telling me not to go cheap). But for what I use it for, the $25 light is plenty fine. It's just on the nightstand gun "just in case".

Different question regarding lights - the other day I heard a local PD instructor say something about having problems mounting a metal-railed light on a plastic framed pistol, anyone here know about that? My light is metal but the pistol I put it on is poly-framed. I have noticed that no matter how tight I get the rail-holding screws, the light will shake itself off of the rail within about 3-4 shots (the pistol is a 45ACP). I don' think this issue is related to it being a cheapo $25 light, but maybe that's not so? This guy claimed that you want the rail and the accessory to be both metal, or both plastic.

Links