Looking to buy a surveillance camera

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a surveillance camera within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to buy a surveillance system for around the house. There are so many different ones out there. I could spend anywheres from ...

Thread: Looking to buy a surveillance camera

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I am looking to buy a surveillance system for around the house. There are so many different ones out there. I could spend anywheres from $200 to $5000. Anyone have any experience with

Swann
    X10
    Lorex
    Panasonic
    any other

surveillance systems?

Wired vs. wireless.

There isn't a lot of independent info on Google. Just a lot of advertisements.

Don't buy the x10 unless you want an internet special bargain cheap piece o junk. Mine is the wireless model with a shotty signal and poor picture quality. I cannot comment on the other brands as I have not owned any of them. The x10 had virtually no picture unless It was high noon broad daylight. During dusk the picture was black. I did see that they have a night-vision model now. But based on the model I have, I would invest in a higher end device. Buying quality only hurts once. Advice I should live by...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I could fit in your price range (weekly) and deliver absolute security!

VIP Member
    I'm not that familiar with home systems, but have used commercial ones. This is one area where you get what you pay for. Good lenses that can actually show detail cost $$$. Also, different types of lenses work better at night than during the day, and the opposite is also true.

Just found this site. Check it out.
    http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...?CategoryID=36

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I work for a electronic security company, installed many of cameras. Like mentioned before, you get what you pay for. First, the camera and lens; lens come in all differnt MM's so you need to know where you want to mount the camera and what you want to see with it. I'll suggest an auto iris verifocal lens and a day / night High Res. camera. At night it switches to black and white giving you a better picture and back to color during the day. There are some good bullet cameras on the market that will probably serve your purpose just fine that are in the $200 -$300 range. We do commerical only so I haven't used the bullet cameras very much but they are good for home use.

Cable. USE RG59!!! Don't use aluminum braid that cable tv uses. Get a camera with a BNC out put for video. Get Copper braided rg59.

Power supply: When you run your coax, run an 18 gauge 2 conductor for power. You will need a power supply, 24VAC is the industry standard but some cameras run on 12VDC. Some cameras you can use either on the same camera (Not both at the same time).

DVR(Digital Video Recorder): This is important so you don't want to skimp here. A good one will run you proably over $1400 for a 4 channel. I recommend Dedicated Micro's for a home system. There are more companies poping up and droping off the map with DVR's then you can shake a stick at. DM has been around forever and isn't going anywhere. Stick to a major brand and you will be happy later. Any of the brands mentioned will have BNC inputs for video. DM, GE, American Dynamics, Integral, Pelco, or Honeywell. For a monitor, you can go to an input on your TV or buy a monitor. Some use a VGA monitor. A decent 4 camera system will run you probably in the area of $3,000 doing it yourself.

I hope this helps you.

Sponsored Links