Surefire C3 Centurion

This is a discussion on Surefire C3 Centurion within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have experience with these? Are they too big for EDC? I'm out in the country, so when I'm trying to see something, I need ...

Thread: Surefire C3 Centurion

Question Surefire C3 Centurion

Anyone have experience with these? Are they too big for EDC? I'm out in the country, so when I'm trying to see something, I need a longer range beam.
    I'm familiar with Surefires, have a 6Z but wanted something with a pocket clip and then got to thinking about just going up one battery to the C3 (and I very much like the ability to hold it like a 6Z where my palm is depressing the switch).
    I did some searches but it seems that most of you carry the two-cell (or LED) lights these days.
    Any comments on the C3, good or bad, would be most appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I have a C2 and recently replaced the head with an LED head. I love the result. I have no experience with the C3, but I have an M3 and there are two problems with it. It's a bit big to carry, and two it's almost too bright.

It may seem odd to claim a light is too bright, but some SWAT teams had some bright lights at Gunsite and found that when their higher power lights reflected off a light colored wall, it messed up their low light level vision too much. I don't know if the C3 would do this or not, but it's something to think about.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Tangle - interesting point about too bright, I hadn't taken that into consideration for an EDC light. We have Surefire Ultrastingers at home for critter checking out back and they are really much too bright to use in a close area (like trying to repair something in the garage). Hmmm. Maybe C2...
    My concern with LED is I have heard [yep, I don't really know] that an LED will not throw a focused beam at a long distance.
    Thanks for your comments.

I carry the Surefire G3 sometimes (polymer version of the C3/9P Original) and I find it fine sizewise for EDC, if just a tad long. The P90 bulb it uses isn't actually twice as bright as the P60 you'll find in the G2, 6P, etc -- however you get a much bigger area of sidespill and a bigger hotspot. If you want some serious throw power, buy a Streamlight Stinger or Ultrastinger or TL-3. The Surefires are only good for medium distances anyway. I love all 5 of mine
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

As far as the throw of an LED, I have a G2 and a G2 LED. I thought the same thing at first. But both lights throw about the same. If there is any difference, I definately don't see it. IMO the LED light is very crisp. I like it for my use of law enforcement.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Well, I have been talking about my E2e for several years...but I decided to pick up the L4LumaMax...about 40 more lumens than my E2e, it's LED lasts about twice as long, and it's almost the same size. It should be here in another day or two...I'm anxious to make a comparison. Now I'll have two great SD light.

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The size thing is a personal preference. I EDCed a M2 for a long time and was fine with it (inside front pocket), but a lot of people felt it was too big for EDC.

Personally, I think three cells is pushing it for comfortable EDC, but only you can answer that. Try to find a brick and mortar place that carries one of the SF 3 cell lights (probably any of them are OK for size consideration) and see what you think.

As Jeff points out, the SF lights don't have real long throw as a general rule, so if your 6P isn't cutting it, a three cell might not help as much as you'd like.

-john

The surface of the reflector in the Surefires is treated to spread the beam in a flood, (it is a heavy orange peel or light stippled pattern).

I like very much my Centurion III for EDC with a gun, I use the P-91 lamp that is giving 200 lumens. But yes I have found situations when I would like the beam to throw more.

You should try the Streamlight TL-3, it have a bigger reflector, so it will throw much better, that is the light I use when I need more throw and I am dressing to conceal.

Of course when I need even more throw and the light doesn't need to be concealed, I carry a minimum of a rechargeable Bear Cub 220
    lumens, 90 minutes run time, or the rechargeable Borealis 1050 lumens.

Here is a picture of the Surefire C-3 and the Streamlight TL-3

Cheers
    Black Bear
    Builder of the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight

and www.blackbearflashlights.com

E-Mail admin@blackbearflashlights.com

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    If you want a longer throw and want to stick with SF, try the M3. I have had one for a long time and love it. One of the others that I work with has a C3. Comparing the two, the M3 has a better throw.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Links