Desiccant rejuvenation

Desiccant rejuvenation

This is a discussion on Desiccant rejuvenation within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone else have the re-usable desiccant bags? I bought several a few years ago at a gun show. There are instructions right on the bag, ...

Thread: Desiccant rejuvenation

Desiccant rejuvenation

Anyone else have the re-usable desiccant bags? I bought several a few years ago at a gun show. There are instructions right on the bag, and I baked a few last night as they were feeling kind of solid. 250 for like 24 hours, and they came out feeling like new. Anyone else ever rejuvenate their bags? Is their usefulness diminished every time you do this? Or will they last 'till the bags come apart?

I've never bought any, but saved all the ones I've ever received. I use them in all my gun safes, and trade them out whenever I've got extras!

I've got a couple of the 6" tall cans of dessicant. Simply pop them into the oven every month or so, then they're fine. 225* for 3-4hrs, IIRC. I'd prefer a goldenrod, which I'll be adding this month, but these have worked well so far.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The box my bag is in has a paper moisture indicator on it. Turns pink when it is time to recharge. It has the directions for how to dry it on the box, 225 degrees for 3 hours or something like that.
    What Would Gumby Do?

VIP Member
    Yep. Baked my bags this weekend. 3 hours at 240 for mine. Like sheepdog's mine have the indicator. Pink is bad and blue is good. They should last quite awhile.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Yep, I pop mine in the oven.

Once, my father forgot to check his, ended up with sopping wet bags and lots of furry green and white guns.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    *sigh* Ever notice how, the longer you have a hobby, the more things you find out you need to buy for it?

Okay, so what brands/sizes/materials do you all use? Scott, I am particularly interested in the ones you have, with the indicator...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    *sigh* Ever notice how, the longer you have a hobby, the more things you find out you need to buy for it?

Okay, so what brands/sizes/materials do you all use? Scott, I am particularly interested in the ones you have, with the indicator...
    I have a rough 30 cu ft safe, so I use This product The indicator is in the bottom of the box. If you scoll down a bit you will see different sizes based on the amount of space you need to take care of.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have 2 from Cabela's. I have put them in the oven twice in a year. Should last a long time.

Another option, and what I'm using, is called a Remington Mini-Dehumidifier Model 365. Works with water glass crystals that absorb the moisture, then you just plug the unit into a standard electrical outlet for about 10 hrs. to rejuvenate it. A small safe (like mine) only needs one, but a larger safe needs at least a couple. Bought it from Cabela's for $24.99. I just find it easier to plug something in overnight rather than monkeying around with a stove, but like I said, it's just another option.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I have a rough 30 cu ft safe, so I use This product The indicator is in the bottom of the box. If you scoll down a bit you will see different sizes based on the amount of space you need to take care of.
    This is what I have used for several years in my safe. 240 degrees for three to four hours every two-three weeks (very humid in Middle Tennessee). Should last a very long time....

Nice find! Glad I opened this can of worms!

Not sure about the bagged kind Ram Rod but I know we bake the desiccant from the dehydrators in our Satellite trucks at work all the time. Same drill, except we put the desiccant on a cookie sheet and bake it. It does not diminish the effectiveness of it at all as far as I could see.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links