Silencer

This is a discussion on Silencer within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whats the probability of being able to get a silencer on the market? I hear they are a class III item, and are difficult to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silencer

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Silencer

Whats the probability of being able to get a silencer on the market? I hear they are a class III item, and are difficult to get. I was interested in one so I could practice in my backyard without alarming the neighbors.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Suppressors are an NFA item, but not all that hard to acquire.

If you locate an NFA dealer in your area, they can provide all the info you need on the ATF hoops you must jump through.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Whats the probability of being able to get a silencer on the market? I hear they are a class III item, and are difficult to get. I was interested in one so I could practice in my backyard without alarming the neighbors.
    Not trying to be retentive... more curious than anything... is that legal where you live? I guess I'm making an assumption you don't live far from your neighbors if you want a silencer...

Edit - my question pertained to shooting in your back-yard.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    it is legal in thirty-five of the fifty states for an individual to possess and use a suppressor; you must go through the National Firearms Act process administered by the ATF. Such transfers also require a Federal tax payment of US $200 and a thorough background check.

These are state they may be legal in:
    AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Senior Moderator
    First they must be legal in your state.

If they are, you usally pay a deposit on the can, most places is 50%. You fill out a Form 4, get a 2x2 photo,get the CLEO to sign it,fill out a citizenship form,get some fingerprints,and send it in with a $200 money order or check.

Everything is done in duplicate. When you get the paperwork back and it has the tax stamp on it, you take it to your dealer, pay the rest of the money on the suppressor, and it is your to keep.

Really not as big a deal as it is made out to be. Your dealer will help with all of this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What hotguns and everyone else already covers is correct as far as I know and I'll second the ease of it all. It took me about 2.5 weeks to take possession of mine.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Does the NFA dealer have to be in-state?

There are several class III dealers in my area. Two of the things I'd really like are a 14" barrel shotgun, and a Ruger 10/22 with integral suppressor. I could obtain both locally, just don't see the need in added cost although they'd truly be neat to have. I think the fed and I have a pretty good repertoire from a distance--kind of like far-off relatives. I just wouldn't want to give them any more reasons to drop by for dinner at the drop of a hat cause they happened to be in the neighborhood. Capisca?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Not trying to be retentive... more curious than anything... is that legal where you live? I guess I'm making an assumption you don't live far from your neighbors if you want a silencer...

Edit - my question pertained to shooting in your back-yard.
    We live out in the country on a one acre plot. My neighbors are close, but we aren't bumping elbows. Its a house, one acre plot, another house another acre etc... There is nothing behind my house but trees and fields. There is plenty of room out back to shoot. It just has to be quiet or BB guns as not to alarm my neighbors who only live 300 yards to either side of my house.

You might want to check on the ordinances in your area, I know my old county does not allow discharge of firearms within 800 yards of a dwelling, YMMV.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Your neighbors would still hear the noise...bullets hitting things isn't very quiet. JMO

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Check out Yankeehillmachine.com
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    We live out in the country on a one acre plot. My neighbors are close, but we aren't bumping elbows. Its a house, one acre plot, another house another acre etc... There is nothing behind my house but trees and fields. There is plenty of room out back to shoot. It just has to be quiet or BB guns as not to alarm my neighbors who only live 300 yards to either side of my house.
    Just close enough for gun fire to alarm... gotcha.

As another poster said, the bullet strikes can be quite loud as well. When I lived outside the city I used to shoot these in an older s/a revolver. Very effective with less hassle, if that's something you're interested in.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    First they must be legal in your state.

If they are, you usally pay a deposit on the can, most places is 50%. You fill out a Form 4, get a 2x2 photo,get the CLEO to sign it,fill out a citizenship form,get some fingerprints,and send it in with a 200 money order or check.

Everything is done in duplicate. When you get the paperwork back and it has the tax stamp on it, you take it to your dealer, pay the rest of the money on the suppressor, and it is your to keep.

Really not as big a deal as it is made out to be. Your dealer will help with all of this.
    On "some board" I read , all you have to do is send one copy to the CLEO, doesn't matter if he signs it or not, you're good to go as long as its LEGAL in the county/STATE
    Its basically "INFORMING" him, and you don't need his "approval"

does all CLEO have to "authorize" before you purchase, or just be "informed" ?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    On "some board" I read , all you have to do is send one copy to the CLEO, doesn't matter if he signs it or not, you're good to go as long as its LEGAL in the county/STATE
    Its basically "INFORMING" him, and you don't need his "approval"

does all CLEO have to "authorize" before you purchase, or just be "informed" ?

I think CLEO sign-off is required for full auto. Not sure about suppressors.

However, you can also establish a Trust, and have the Trust "own" the NFA items, with no CLEO signature required. Or so I have read.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links