5.11 or Galco Belt - need input quickly

This is a discussion on 5.11 or Galco Belt - need input quickly within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK- I've been getting by with a black belt (Galco Sb2) forever. It's a fantastic belt, but I need something brown/tan. Due to timing, I'd ...

View Poll Results: Of just these two brands, who's leather belts are a better value?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Galco

18 90.00%

2 10.00%

Thread: 5.11 or Galco Belt - need input quickly

5.11 or Galco Belt - need input quickly

OK-

I've been getting by with a black belt (Galco Sb2) forever. It's a fantastic belt, but I need something brown/tan. Due to timing, I'd also like it soon (within the next week, week and a half) so a custom order is not possible.

Between the 5.11 leather belts and Galco... who's a better value.

I know the Galco looks better, and works great. But does the 5.11 also work well and will it hold up? Or is the Galco good enough it justifies the extra expense?

Input greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I would stick with the Galco. The 5.11 stuff is made mostly off shore.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    I would stick with the Galco. The 5.11 stuff is made mostly off shore.
    Thanks. I'm pulling the trigger on one as soon as I'm done. Thanks to everyone that contributed to the poll.

I also got a chance to put my hands on the 5.11 stuff at a bigger gun store in my area... not bad, but certainly not nice either. A customer there volunteered to me that his had started to get scratches and stripped areas in the faux finish. I'll stick with Galco until I can get something better.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Order a Sparks or Brommeland, they won't charge your card until shipping. Then buy a Galco that will hold you over for six months, and sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Order a Sparks or Brommeland, they won't charge your card until shipping. Then buy a Galco that will hold you over for six months, and sell it.

Pretty much what I was planning on doing... I'm going to put together a big order from Sparks in all likelihood. Thanks everyone.

Good choice! If you can afford it, order one of the same model for each size pistol you have, plus the matching mag pouch, and a belt all at the same time. You'll have a rig that will last you the rest of your life, and consistency between your different pistols! It'll be a big investment, but one you'll appreciate long after the pain of payment is gone.
    Tracy

belts

not sure about galgo belts. i have acouple galco holsters
    that work fairly well for me so i could assume that make
    desent belts also. sorry no info on 5:11 items.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I've been wearing my Galco belt for 23 years.

I have both. The Galco is more traditional looking and of great quality. I bought there 1 3/4" for $70.
    I also just got a 5.11 tactical at 1 3/4" and was very surprised. The quality is excellant and the buckle is metal and very heavy.
    What I liked the most was that with the Galco, or any traditional belt, when you wear your holster, the hole you use might be a little tight or loose. With the 5.11, it is completely adjustable and you can pull it to exactly the tightness you need. I just ordered two more.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    I have both. The Galco is more traditional looking and of great quality. I bought there 1 3/4" for $70.
    I also just got a 5.11 tactical at 1 3/4" and was very surprised. The quality is excellant and the buckle is metal and very heavy.
    What I liked the most was that with the Galco, or any traditional belt, when you wear your holster, the hole you use might be a little tight or loose. With the 5.11, it is completely adjustable and you can pull it to exactly the tightness you need. I just ordered two more.
    Thanks for your feedback. I ended up ordering another galco in tan just because I'm already familiar with their product and they received more positive praise overall.

Are you talking about a web or a leather belt from 5.11? I didn't notice that the leathers were adjustable... but I didn't look that hard at it.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I know it's not on your list of choices, but check out the Beltman. For custom, his turnaround times are very good...

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I know it's not on your list of choices, but check out the Beltman. For custom, his turnaround times are very good...
    Thanks for the link... thebeltman is now on my radar for my next purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. I ended up ordering another galco in tan just because I'm already familiar with their product and they received more positive praise overall.

Are you talking about a web or a leather belt from 5.11? I didn't notice that the leathers were adjustable... but I didn't look that hard at it.
    The 5.11 is a web belt, not leather.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

Also consider the Liger belt. It is medium priced (about $70), delivery time is phenomenal (4 days from knifeworks.com), is thinner than an equivalent leather belt, and has terrific resistance to rolling or stretching. I love mine (brown, but black and tan are also available).
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Links