College protection

This is a discussion on College protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a college student I know guns aren't an option so I was thinking of carrying one of these, Stun Pen, Stun Gun Pens, Raptor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College protection

College protection

Being a college student I know guns aren't an option so I was thinking of carrying one of these, Stun Pen, Stun Gun Pens, Raptor Stun Pens, Striker Stun Pens
    any thoughts??

As per my girlfriend (also in college) she doesn't seem concerned about life or possible threats, so I thought to maybe get her one of these, Pepper Spray Ring – Stunning Ring – Self-Defense Ring ,since I know if I get her a keychain or one top keep in her purse it will never even be considered. Have you guys heard anything bout them?

2. Remove Ads

I suggest checking the FL laws - I believe it states pretty clearly what you can and can't carry on campus (as a student), and IIRC there are some better options available to both of you.

Austin

Obviously, guns aren't allowed on my campus, but the only rules about knives in my student handbook/rulebook are that they not be "illegal". So I edc a Spyderco Native I and a Surefire 6PD for my daily requirements. I leave the OC/Pepper spray in the car.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

No idea on legality of those things in your states, but as a fairly recent college graduate I'll throw in 2 cents.

A good knife is always a good thing to have if allowed. Training does beat all, and even good H2H training would be more effective than one of those methods, amplified with a knife, look into something like Fillipino Martial arts.

My college experience was full of lots of contact with drunks (although I was a bouncer for a couple years) so the pepper spray is iffy. OC apparently sucks, but the commerical stuff doesn't effect drunks too much in my experience. See if the school offers self defense classes for females, I know my alma mater does.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My daughter attends a very small liberal college in Los Angeles (in a good neighborhood). As an LEO instructor, I addressed the question of her ability to protect herself in the parent's forum. Of course, the majority of the Kalifornia parents were appalled. An LA County Sheriff's representative stood up to assure the parents that their kids were safe. I got up again and asked if his County SO Department even had the capability or the willingness to respond to an issue at Occidental College, within the city limits of LA? He assured us that LAPD could handle any crisis. When I asked where the representatives of LAPD were, they asked me to sit down. Thank God she's not attending USC!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm in school myself. Obviously carrying or posession of a firearm on campus is against policy (even if that policy is more of a joke at my school). Just about everyone has knives - even the chicks. I know a few guys who keep expandable batons in their packs and my roommate used to carry one in his pocket til it busted his cell phone.

Get creative, especially if your school is anal about following policy. Remember - the mind is the weapon. Everything else is just a tool. I'll bet you can look on your desk and think of some good practical defensive uses for at least one thing on your desk. Your firearm doesn't count. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

SixBravo, my neighbor...I'd trust my daughter to walk naked down Whiskey Row than walk fully dressed alone in LA...totally different environment!

Walk into any police station anywhere and ask for one of these.
    They will give you as many as you like gratis...

...Stick one in your pocket, remove the key.

When locked the cable loop makes for a near unbreakable 'handle' toward use as an impact/striking weapon (the lock end). You hit a person in the face or skull with a lock, they will not shake that off easily nor quickly.

When unlocked the lock base becomes your hold point and the cable is a close quarters whip with a metal tip at the end. For maximal effect use a razor knife to cut and strip away the outer plastic covering of the loop unless you anticipate using it as an above described closed hammer in the future.

Carry this in your pants or coat pocket EDC.
    Completely 100% legal and innocuous. And if ever asked why do you have it on your person? It's to lock up your locker/bicycle/PC/dorm lockbox/bookbag/luggage/etc.
    If you need to conceal it deep cover unlock the lock and run the cable down your leg front or back and let the lock assy. ride inside yur waist band or crotch. This works at the front or back of the leg and makes for easy & quick retrieval when in need.
    Best part it's free, disposable, very easy to replace, 100% lawful everywhere, and will not draw any attention to you or itself if spotted or you have need to distance yourself from it.

$0.02 street

- Janq has a drawer full of these toward multiple uses

"Everything is a weapon." - MommaJanq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    LOL, we have boxes of those things sitting around the station... Please go to your local PD and ask for some... nobody else seems to want them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I volunteer at the VA hospital. We've got a ton of homeless vets that ride bikes. Are those things long enough to lock a bicycle up? I'll pick up a crate of them!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I volunteer at the VA hospital. We've got a ton of homeless vets that ride bikes. Are those things long enough to lock a bicycle up? I'll pick up a crate of them!
    No, not really. They might be able to lock up the stem to frame or a wheel to the frame, but they wont be long enough to lock the frame to anything solid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Walk into any police station anywhere and ask for one of these.
    They will give you as many as you like gratis...

I know at least two people that aren't in college that use them as protection for places they can't carry here in Texas. I wouldn't want to get smacked by one!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I'd attend in a state that doesn't have a state law against it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I'd attend in a state that doesn't have a state law against it.
    well yea, a lot of us do, but theres always university policy against it.
    granted technically the only thing you should be able to happen to you if you carry on campus is getting expelled, but with all the 'school shooting hype now a days, i wouldnt want to find out what they would do to you if someone found out.

im all for the cable lock. sounds like a great idea.
    plus i always have a knife with my for convenience, but that helps too
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Some will.
    It depends on the maker. I've found that the Masterlock brand ones come with a pretty long cable and would work for a bikes down tube to say a parking meter pole or a metal sign post. Others no as they are too short. But! Get two string them together in series and boom now you have enough length to work it out and still only need just one key to unlock the primary. :)

Sixto that is exactly what I do, I raid police station boxes for these things (VA and MA) and always they are nearly begging to give them away. When ever I stop by a a station I make sure to grab a few or ask. I kid you not I have a drawer full of these brand new bagged with keys.
    I use them for all manner of stuff around the house toward general purpose whatever. They are great, lightweight, don't seem to rust even when left in the elements exposed, and the cables are pretty strong.

When I travel to D.C. on business I take one with me and it's FAA okay.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links