Gun Safe Break-In Attempts?

This is a discussion on Gun Safe Break-In Attempts? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We always talk on here that a nice safe is a great insurance policy to have for our firearm collections but I was wondering something. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe Break-In Attempts?

Gun Safe Break-In Attempts?

We always talk on here that a nice safe is a great insurance policy to have for our firearm collections but I was wondering something. Has anyone been unfortunate enough to be a victim of a burglary attempt directed at your safe? If so, what damage did they cause to it and how did they go about trying to gain access? I have a large Fort Knox safe for all my guns and have always wondered how they would attempt to gain entry. Just curious.... thanks!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Didn't Betty suffer that sort of damage. I seem to remember some pictures posted here in the early days of the forum.

Paging Betty . . .

Friend of mine lives out in the desert with no neighbors. Thieves broke in, wrapped a chain around the safe, and yanked it out of the house with what must have been a 4-wheel drive truck, then just hauled it away to open at their leisure. Tore his door frame out doing it.

Senior Moderator
    I've been invoved in a few safe break ins.

One of them was taken out of the house, drug down the road and then dropped off of a bluff. It did not open. It was one of the cheaper"Sentry"that Walmart sells, but it worked.

I've seen several attempted break ins, none of them were successful. All of them sustained damage to the paint and one had some bending on the door where it looked like a crowbar was forced in the seam, but it too failed to open.

Not for sure, but probably attemped break ins from crack or meth heads.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My old memory didn't deceive me, here's the thread from Dec 2004.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-gun-safe.html

Maybe Betty still has the pictures and can repost them here?

Senior Moderator
    A guy I work with had a break in. Looking at the marks on his safe the Bg's tried to pry the door open (didn't work). Interesting they didn't even try to open his StackOn gun locker (Thin steel locker).

Luckily the BG's were more interested in a quick in and out. If they spent more time the would have tried the locker, instead of wasting time an trying to get into the safe.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    A guy I work with had a break in. Looking at the marks on his safe the Bg's tried to pry the door open (didn't work). Interesting they didn't even try to open his StackOn gun locker (Thin steel locker).

Luckily the BG's were more interested in a quick in and out. If they spent more time the would have tried the locker, instead of wasting time an trying to get into the safe.
    I've got a stack-on. They (burglar(s)) managed to crow-bar one corner and kind of dog-ear it but not open it. The punched it with the crow bar, knocking paint off of it and dimpling it, but they did not get in. Of course, it was lag bolted to a desk and a wall with reinforced 2x4's (I doubled up the 2x4's when I replaced the drywall).

I know they're not good safes, and someone with a decent melon could figure out how to get in them, but they do work sometimes.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Yeah I have a StackOn and like it. But I do realize it is mainly for keeping honest people honest and protection from smash and grabs.
    Last edited by pgrass101; January 18th, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have a Liberty Safe that no one has attempted to break into but I have seen other Liberty Safes that have been tried. The burglars tried drilling, chain saw, cutter and torch. They finally broke off the S&G tumbler and quit at that point. As long as the safe is bolted to the floor, you're probably safe with a Liberty type safe.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I wonder if you mount a safe in a closet,if you could frame around it,add re-bar and than concrete around the sides, top and back?Would this work?Seems to me it would be hard to get a chain around.And I believe a good safe has thicker metal on the front so a sledgehammer would be ineffective on the front door.Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I wonder if you mount a safe in a closet,if you could frame around it,add re-bar and than concrete around the sides, top and back?Would this work?Seems to me it would be hard to get a chain around.And I believe a good safe has thicker metal on the front so a sledgehammer would be ineffective on the front door.Maybe?
    If it gets too involved, I'd be inclined to just buy a safe with a relocker and bolt it to the subframe..
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by armado View Post
    I have a Liberty Safe that no one has attempted to break into but I have seen other Liberty Safes that have been tried. The burglars tried drilling, chain saw, cutter and torch. They finally broke off the S&G tumbler and quit at that point. As long as the safe is bolted to the floor, you're probably safe with a Liberty type safe.
    You are safe, unless the BG is capable of swinging a sledge hammer or an axe... Do you have any pics of the example that you referred to? A BG could torch their way into any gun safe in less than 2 minutes.

If a theif with access to shop tools can't get into a 10 or 12 guage steel safe (same thickness used in commercial counter tops, burial urns, cookware, and even some automotive body panels), then they should find a new line of work.

This is a Liberty safe that shows what less than 5 minutes with an axe can do. The thief was gone before the police responding to the alarm got there.

Gun safes are made for guns. Not documents, photo albums, money, or valuables. If you have a valuable gun collection, you need to move up into a real safe, and not a tin can with a pretty paint job.
    I received a reality check when a family friend had his gun safe broken into with common construction tools and all of his guns were stolen... It doesn't take a safe cracker to break into a gun safe. Another friend of my father had to cut into his safe after the tumblers went bad and he couldn't get any service from the safe company. He cut into the bottom of his safe (it could have just as easily been the side) with a drill and a sawzall.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Gun safes serve 3 purposes:

1. Liability. Your guns are locked up so children and not-authorized persons don't have access

2. Fire. Most safes have fireproofing that helps prevent damage in case of a serious house fire

3. To slow burglars down. I have little doubt that a determined person can gain access. The higher quality safe and better the installation, the more time to compromise. Hopefully, your BGs will not be determined enough or have enough time to finish the job.

there are a few videos on youtube showing gun safes being pried open.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    3. To slow burglars down.
    To buy time, exactly. Which is why a layered approach to the defenses is important.

A "safe" that's visible to intruders is a target.

A "safe" that isn't bolted down is simply going to require a large hand truck and a sufficient lift gate to remove.

A "safe" that isn't also protected by an alarm system that brings law enforcement isn't going to stand up to a concerted effort to get into it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I consider my safe to be defense against "smash and grab" type burglaries. If they know the safe and guns are there and are intelligent, they can get in. The safe will slow them down however. I don't consider myself a target for a professional thief like that because my collection is pretty small and relatively worthless. The 800 lb. safe sitting in my basement holding it all will stop someone who just kicks in the door and grabs all he can before running. It would even stop four or five guys who don't know how to get into it, because there's only one set of stairs leading out of the basement and they're STEEP. It was tough enough getting that thing down there, I'm not sure it will ever come out.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is where you store the combo to your safe. When I got mine, my first thought was the file the paperwork with my other major purchases. Then I realized the combo was in there and any smart thief could just walk in and check the file cabinet, discovering the combo. I wonder how often that happens during break-ins, because I'm sure many people do just file that combo without thinking of it. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Roadrunner; January 20th, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links