How to secure two firearms in a vehicle...

This is a discussion on How to secure two firearms in a vehicle... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family and I are getting ready to move here in a few months and one of the places we are thinking about moving to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My family and I are getting ready to move here in a few months and one of the places we are thinking about moving to is owned by the military and is technically 'base housing' even though it is not on a base. In order for me to carry off base I would have to have my gun locked up driving off housing, holster my gun and go about my day. Then lock my gun back up prior to driving back onto housing. It may be a pain but living there is a good move for us financially. I obviously need a lock box for my truck that I can carry out to my truck from my house and then back in. My question is, what can I do when I am carrying a primary AND a backup? I was looking at the COM lock boxes but I would have to have two of them, one for each gun, and I don't have that much room in my truck for two boxes. Any suggestions??
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How about a small breifcase that locks???

Hmm...I like that idea. It would be easy to transport and it would deffinately hold two guns. I just wonder what people would think if they saw me carrying a briefcase with me. I don't look like the type to carry a brief case. Something along those lines would work though. Thanks for the idea. Anyone else got any other ideas?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Sentry makes several different size fire safe lockable document boxes. Dimensions below. Not exactly lightweight, but will do what you want.
    Just out of curiosity what part of VA are you looking to move to?

Exterior dimensions: 8 1/8"H x 14 1/4W x 11" D
    Interior dimensions: 5 3/4"H x 12"W x 7 1/2"D

I'm in Newport News right now. Looking to move to Yorktown. I'm not sure if you are familiar with that area or not.

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Slightly familiar with it, I'm in Richmond and don't usually go much further east tham Williamsburg

This is what I keep in my truck, I dont have quite the same requirements as you, but have to keep it locked up while at work. I like the fact that it locks to the seat frame too, keeping it secure in the vehicle if you so desire.

MidwayUSA - Secure-It Large Pistol Security Box 9-1/2" x 6-1/2" x 1-3/4" Steel Black

And for $25 you cant beat it with a stick!!
    "I'd rather be judged in a box by a jury than carred in a box by my friends!"

Quote Originally Posted by cspearling View Post
    This is what I keep in my truck, I dont have quite the same requirements as you, but have to keep it locked up while at work. I like the fact that it locks to the seat frame too, keeping it secure in the vehicle if you so desire.

MidwayUSA - Secure-It Large Pistol Security Box 9-1/2" x 6-1/2" x 1-3/4" Steel Black

And for $25 you cant beat it with a stick!!
    I've looked at those and I like them. It's just that I would have to carry two of them out to my truck with me everytime I leave and then carry both back in when I came back. I would like to be able to have them both in one case.

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When I used to live in Kalifornia I had to transport my pistols to and from the range in a locked container. I used a locking briefcase similar to this one, but mine was considerably less expensive.
    I picked mine up at a gun show and I believe I paid $30 for it.
    Hope this helps.

Use a small lockable tool box. Put some foam in it you're all set.

I have a security box from aries automotive that can be locked and then locked into a bracket mounted into the vehicle.
    Aries Automotive - Security Lock Box
    It is very nicely made and may be big enough for 2 guns if they're not too big.

That looks like a good option too. The two guns would most likely be a Glock 19 and a S&W 642. It looks like they should fit just from a quick glance. I will have to give the dimensions a better look. Thanks for the link! And thanks for all the input so far guys!

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TyC
    I have a tuffy center console in my jeep that I trust my guns in if i have to lock them up in the car. They make some great products that might fit in yor vehicle.
    Locking secure storage box, consoles, security drawer, cargo container, speaker box, Jeep, Bronco, Samurai, Hummer, truck, SUV, 4x4, auto, rv
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

In The Past I Have Used An Old Laptop Carrying Case. Lots Of Padding And Compartments, And It Seems Everyone Is Carrying One These Days

pelican makes nice cases but they're pricey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links