College campus reply

College campus reply

This is a discussion on College campus reply within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Below is a question posed on a forum to a campus authority at MSU university here in Ky. His response is below... Sounds pretty confident ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: College campus reply

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219

    College campus reply

    Below is a question posed on a forum to a campus authority at MSU university here in Ky. His response is below... Sounds pretty confident nothing can happen on a college campus...Wonder how many "escorts"
    ( knights in shining armor ) they have available to walk each person across campus? What a farce...


    Question:
    my 18 year old daughter will be attending this fall. Any suggestions on protecting herself as she walks to and from class in the evening? Pepper spray was a suggestion from me....

    Answer:
    The MSU campus is very safe at night. I'd suggest that she walk back to the residential colleges with someone from her class. If it's late and she's alone, she can call Public Safety and they'll send someone to escort her to wherever she needs to go. The service is called Racer Patrol and the purpose is to escort students across campus after dark. It's a great service, especially if you have to park at the stadium. If she doesn't have a cell with her, there are call boxes located outside of most every building and at the stadium.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,080
    hmmm...very safe at night....

    but have:
    A safety patrol
    Call boxes everywhere

    recommends:
    a cell phone
    someone from class to walk with her


    That's great--but what if someone decides to shoot up a classroom?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  3. #3
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,484
    I doubt he could even mention ''gun'' despite perhaps (ya never know!) knowing that was the best (leaving aside age of a student of course).

    Chances are the campus could well be very safe but - I wonder if there is ever consideration made towards worst-case-scenarios. Usually seems not.

    So much reliance is placed on the assumption that anyone under attack can call it in and be ''rescued'' I can't see any ''escort'' being armed either.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Folder knife? OC spray?

    I'm in college too. I hate that I can't carry. They've got cameras up now since the VA tech thing,...unarmed security in some places,usually don't see them when I get out of cass (9 pm,..I was expect MORE then,...) the only real one I see everyday is a lady in her late 40s,...that makes me feel safe. (Nothing against women,just saying an unarmed person thats easily almost 50 something,by themselves,doesn't seem too terribly comforting. Shrug.)


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array falcon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,484
    I'm certain they or you have already checked this, but, if not, here is the college crime link for Murray State University from handgunlaw's site:

    http://www.ope.ed.gov/security/InstDetail.asp

    (It should work only for MSU, but if not, go straight to handgunlaw.)

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,684
    Those safety patrols are iffy, and usually manned by students (at least at most colleges I have been to they were.) I knew a lot of ROTC guys who worked for them, and they tended to be good to go, but sometimes it was just folks looking for cash, and well, I'd feel safer walking by myself, and probably could scare more folks away by doing so.

    Have her look for a self defense class for females on campus, I suggest a folder if they allow it, and tell her to make friends with the football team/ROTC guys.

    Most campuses have call boxes (in fact everyone I ever visited did) but they tend to be more entertainment for drunks than ever actually used.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  7. #7
    Member Array credy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Folder knife? OC spray?

    I'm in college too. I hate that I can't carry. They've got cameras up now since the VA tech thing,...unarmed security in some places,usually don't see them when I get out of cass (9 pm,..I was expect MORE then,...) the only real one I see everyday is a lady in her late 40s,...that makes me feel safe. (Nothing against women,just saying an unarmed person thats easily almost 50 something,by themselves,doesn't seem too terribly comforting. Shrug.)
    Careful on that folding knife, make sure it's under the length considered to be a concealed weapon on campus or you could lose your license.

    In case you haven't heard, check out

    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Answer:
    The MSU campus is very safe at night. I'd suggest that she walk back to the residential colleges with someone from her class. If it's late and she's alone, she can call Public Safety and they'll send someone to escort her to wherever she needs to go. The service is called Racer Patrol and the purpose is to escort students across campus after dark. It's a great service, especially if you have to park at the stadium. If she doesn't have a cell with her, there are call boxes located outside of most every building and at the stadium.
    You know, I read this forum and I feel real stupid.

    Let's take this point by point.

    The MSU campus is very safe at night.
    Great. Nothing is going to happen.

    I'd suggest that she walk back to the residential colleges with someone from her class.
    The only reason I can think of to do this is in case she gets bored. That way she can talk with someone. You know, the MSU campus is safe and therefore nothing is going to happen, so the friend must only be there to keep her company.

    If it's late and she's alone, she can call Public Safety and they'll send someone to escort her to wherever she needs to go.
    Wait. The MSU campus is safe, so why would she even have to do this? I am confused. Does she need some one to talk to in case she gets bored? No wait. She may get lost at night and need some one to direct her. Ya. That is it.


    The service is called Racer Patrol and the purpose is to escort students across campus after dark. It's a great service, especially if you have to park at the stadium.
    Boy, this is getting better all the time. He has already assured us that the MSU campus is safe, so why would a student need an escort? In fact, why is the service even there if the campus is safe. Seems like a waste of tuition dollars to have in place a program no one is ever going to need.

    OK, my brain is really in a tizzy. Perhaps someone smarter than me can explain all this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

  9. #9
    Member Array nlax2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    222
    *sigh* Kinda sad that these people apply this logic to only certain situations:
    Ex: the campus is relatively safe (probably true), but to be on the safe side there are escort services available.

    Ok, I understand the logic there and agree with it.

    But then they aren't willing to apply that same logic to something like carrying concealed in your everyday life (or on campus). For a lot of us we probably live in areas that are "relatively" safe, not considered ghetto, but we choose to carry because we want to be able to protect ourselves should the need arise and you never know when or where something might go down, even in "safe" areas.

    So I'm only allowed to protect myself in certain areas, to varying degrees?

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array glock27mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    clinton township
    Posts
    2,170
    while im all for cc at campuses, fir the time being i quess an escort
    service is better than nothing.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    You know, I read this forum and I feel real stupid.

    Let's take this point by point.

    The MSU campus is very safe at night.
    Great. Nothing is going to happen.

    I'd suggest that she walk back to the residential colleges with someone from her class.
    The only reason I can think of to do this is in case she gets bored. That way she can talk with someone. You know, the MSU campus is safe and therefore nothing is going to happen, so the friend must only be there to keep her company.

    If it's late and she's alone, she can call Public Safety and they'll send someone to escort her to wherever she needs to go.
    Wait. The MSU campus is safe, so why would she even have to do this? I am confused. Does she need some one to talk to in case she gets bored? No wait. She may get lost at night and need some one to direct her. Ya. That is it.


    The service is called Racer Patrol and the purpose is to escort students across campus after dark. It's a great service, especially if you have to park at the stadium.
    Boy, this is getting better all the time. He has already assured us that the MSU campus is safe, so why would a student need an escort? In fact, why is the service even there if the campus is safe. Seems like a waste of tuition dollars to have in place a program no one is ever going to need.

    OK, my brain is really in a tizzy. Perhaps someone smarter than me can explain all this.
    I like the way you broke this down....The first statement of the campus being safe throws off all other logic.

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    *sigh* Kinda sad that these people apply this logic to only certain situations:
    Ex: the campus is relatively safe (probably true), but to be on the safe side there are escort services available.

    Ok, I understand the logic there and agree with it.

    But then they aren't willing to apply that same logic to something like carrying concealed in your everyday life (or on campus). For a lot of us we probably live in areas that are "relatively" safe, not considered ghetto, but we choose to carry because we want to be able to protect ourselves should the need arise and you never know when or where something might go down, even in "safe" areas.

    So I'm only allowed to protect myself in certain areas, to varying degrees?
    Remember this student is only 18, not old enough to carry. My point in the post was the " Campus is safe" but yet needs escorts and the fact that the student couldn't even carry pepper spray.

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Not old enough to carry concealed with a permit perhaps,but some states only require you to be 18 to open carry.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  14. #14
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Not old enough to carry concealed with a permit perhaps,but some states only require you to be 18 to open carry.
    Good point.

  15. #15
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Good point.
    Which,unfortunately we both know OC would be a no-no on campus that doesn't allow CC


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Carry on a WV College Campus
    By PaulG in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: January 24th, 2013, 01:49 PM
  2. College Campus
    By jem102 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM
  3. FL College Campus Car Storage
    By beni in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
  4. Incident on College Campus
    By BlackShadow0 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
  5. Another VA poll on CC on college campus
    By SIGguy229 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 14th, 2007, 11:10 PM

Search tags for this page

conceal and carry kentucky on campus murray

Click on a term to search for related topics.