Airline Pistol Case

This is a discussion on Airline Pistol Case within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure this is the right forum for this, so if it needs to be moved i apologize. What luggage do you recommend for a ...

Thread: Airline Pistol Case

Airline Pistol Case

Not sure this is the right forum for this, so if it needs to be moved i apologize.
    What luggage do you recommend for a concealed carry rig for travelling on an airline? I know it needs to lock and can be put in soft sided luggage. I would like something small that would not take up too much space in my larger soft-sided suitcase. Ideally, it would hold a 1911, holster, a box of ammo and not much else. What has worked well for you?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I like Pelican cases, but they're a little on the thick side. You can go thinner, like the Center of Mass gunsafe, but I personally like the extra space.

Center Of Mass Central

Pelican™*Products*1200*Case

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I like the Center of Mass pictured above primarily because its fairly easy to attach to my suitcase and doesn't take up much room.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    Pitmaster, I assume you have traveled using the COM. You have gave me a breath of fresh air. I'll be going to the IDPA Carolina Cup in June via airplane and I was wondering if my COM would be acceptable.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Last time I flew - with my SW99 - I used the SW hardcase, which had holes thru which I could put padlocks. My ammo was in an MTM ammo box secured with a rubber band and buried within clothes for padding. All was within the checked baggage of course.

It all seemed well acceptable by Frontier Airlines and TSA.

BTW - dhm - sorry, quite forgot to say a big welcome to DefCarry
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Pitmaster, I assume you have traveled using the COM. You have gave me a breath of fresh air. I'll be going to the IDPA Carolina Cup in June via airplane and I was wondering if my COM would be acceptable.
    Actually I've haven't flown with it yet but will the next time I fly. Its been recommended by others and I can't envision any problems with it. The case meets all criteria that I can see. Locks, has padding, small size/weight, and is secure.

I like the idea of attaching the cable to the frame of my suitcase. While its no guarantee against theft they would have to take the whole suitcase and I travel with a large suitcase from Blackhawk Tactical.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I flew over Christmas to Houston via Continental with the COM safe from Midway USA. No problem. TSA in Houston & Wichita both checked it.

I have flown with the COM case, on 2 different airlines. Never a problem with it.

I would check with the airline you are taking for their specific rules on declaring a firearm. The first time I flew, I found out that Airtran does not allow the ammunition to be in the same case as the weapon, as long as they are in separate items of luggage you are good.

Hope that helps.

SY

Factory plastic box

I fly alot with mine and always use the box they came with. You don't need anything fancy or bulletproof. Just make sure to practice with the cable lock (must be completely tight) since you're going to have to lock it back up after TSA looks at it. The last thing you want is the cable to slip free and slap itself, the box, and you, silly. The TSA officer will get a big kick out of it, though.

Thanks! Looks like I need to explore my options.

If I'm traveling with only one handgun (for CCW) I use one of my COM cases. If I'm traveling with 2, 3, or 4 handguns I'll use my small Pelican Case. Both travel well. I also travel with a small soft-sided camera case (sometimes a few) that a factory box of ammo can fit in & a tiny lock for that also. Sometimes I have to drive through a non-CCW state and have to make sure I can lock my gun(s) and ammo separately. Hassle I know, but every state law is different.

Also, it is a good idea to printout & carry the current TSA & your particular airline regs (as they can be different) and some airline people and some TSA people get a little nervous when they are not sure on the letter of the law.

I have never tried to travel with more than one gun case. Not sure if that is okay or not.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Links