Inova X5

This is a discussion on Inova X5 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I was looking for an led flashlight that wouldn't break the bank, that provided good strong light (60 lumens or more) for a time ...

Thread: Inova X5

Inova X5

Well, I was looking for an led flashlight that wouldn't break the bank, that provided good strong light (60 lumens or more) for a time period over what my standard surefire does (60-90 minutes). I stumbled upon the Inova X5 which has 5 1 watt leds, that runs at a peak power for over 20 hours. At only 30 dollars, it didn't break the bank, and I've been pretty impressed with the light. I was concerned that the led wouldn't give a good concentrated beam, that it would flood the light too much over the area. However, after using I can definitely say that it is almost perfect. It still has that bluish white light that isn't as bright as some of the xenon tac lights that are available. With the ability to run bright for a longer period of time I'll take it. Its small enough to toss into a pocket, and easy to operate. Overall a good purchase.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    Well, I was looking for an led flashlight that wouldn't break the bank, that provided good strong light (60 lumens or more) for a time period over what my standard surefire does (60-90 minutes). I stumbled upon the Inova X5 which has 5 1 watt leds, that runs at a peak power for over 20 hours. At only 30 dollars, it didn't break the bank, and I've been pretty impressed with the light. I was concerned that the led wouldn't give a good concentrated beam, that it would flood the light too much over the area. However, after using I can definitely say that it is almost perfect. It still has that bluish white light that isn't as bright as some of the xenon tac lights that are available. With the ability to run bright for a longer period of time I'll take it. Its small enough to toss into a pocket, and easy to operate. Overall a good purchase.
    Yeah I have one that was modified in R&D at CountyComm and it has been my mainstay flashlight for going on a number of years now. Btw - by modified I mean they actually re-engineered it. They took the little black flashlight with paint that can chip off and redesigned the housing so the metal was actually impregnated with an olivedrab color. No paint chipping, flaking etc... The head where the led's are actually mounted are the same impregnated color as the rest of the housing so no glare or light reflection from the housing itself. They also waterproofed it a good bit better too. I don't know if the regular COTS X5 is as strong as the countycomm one, but mine takes one heck of a beating. I've even used it as a hammer. Gotta love those guys! They make all kinds of goodies .
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Yes, the X5 is an excellent little light. Solid as a tank. Probably one of the more durable general purpose lights out there (definately not a tactical light). Nice little flood light, not made to throw however, especially while only putting out 20-30 lumens. I have a Coast that is brighter, but it won't take near the abuse the the X5 will. I'd like to see Inova use some new technology in thier flashlights. How about Cree's in the X5?! Everyone should have an X5.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I bought one of these some time back as sort of a back-up to my Surefires, and have found that I carry it a lot more in my pocket. It has a nice trim shape, sufficient light for a general purpose light. I like the recessed lanyard ring, and put a BRIGHT colored lanyard with glowing ring on it. Great for travel, though I have had a couple of TSA guys look at it a bit funny and ask about it while it's in the machine. Maybe the lanyard/smooth shape makes it look like something other than a flashlight.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Links