Gun Safes

This is a discussion on Gun Safes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a safe that is about 60x30x30 I think. But the only thing is that I am a handgun person and have ...

Thread: Gun Safes

Gun Safes

I am looking for a safe that is about 60x30x30 I think. But the only thing is that I am a handgun person and have a few (15) of them, and 1 shoot gun. So dose any one know of a good safe that will handle my needs? Oh I only have around a $1000.00 to spend and that includes delivery. thanks for all the info and help. johnny

2. Remove Ads

Here's one near your specified dimensions AND within your price range.
    Sentry Gun Safes Product Descriptions

From your address, I'd say you are military. That said, I'd check with the PX to see what they can do by ordering thru their sources. I used them to purchase a new laptop computer, and saved several 100 $$$. Just a thought, but worth investigating.

1 shoot gun
    I just want to know what a shoot gun is?

First, you don't want one that is 30 inches deep because most interior doors are that width and you will have a hard time, take my word for it.

Second, if you are going to buy, buy a safe worth having, which eliminates Sentry, Stack-On and other Wal-Mart jobs.

Look for Cannon, Browning, Liberty, and so on. And yes they have safes in your range.

If I were going to buy again I would buy this Cannon for 699 delivered. Keep in mind your cost might be a bit higher because of location.

Also, pick up some pistol racks at just about any gun store for 20 bucks each and you could get 30 or 40 hand guns in a 24 gun capacity safe pretty easily.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Always buy bigger than you need. Never believe the "Gun capacity rating" of the safe manufacturer. They lie... You will be doing well to put 8 guns in a 16 gun safe.

Here's one that just came available in the Portland, Oregon, area. Uncertain of the make/model (not specified), but at 3500 lbs for a 60x40x24 unit, it's got to be made of fairly thick steel plate. $500 advertised, which leaves room in your budget for moving. click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Storing your handguns won't be a problem in a safe. I know the Fort Knox Defender I have came with a handgun storage system on the door. It utilizes hangers and I am able to fit 10 on it (from .22 autos to a 9 1/2" Super Redhawk). Then you could use those handgun racks on the shelves to store the remainder of them. I would get a safe that held more long guns than you ever thought you would buy. Seems like we always buy more than we expected and can't have too much room in there.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Always buy bigger than you need. Never believe the "Gun capacity rating" of the safe manufacturer. They lie... You will be doing well to put 8 guns in a 16 gun safe.
    You're correct about that...it's like a 20' travel trailer that sleeps 8...only if they're friendly and you don't mind two couples to each bunk...

On safes, overbuy...don't underbuy, it's an investment you'll have for a long time.

I have two Brownings...one short and one tall. If I had it to do over again I would have purchased one...a much larger tall one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Always get the biggest you can afford. They have ways of filling themselves. I've got 2 big ones and a small 2 gun safe for the bedroom.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Here's one that just came available in the Portland, Oregon, area. Uncertain of the make/model (not specified), but at 3500 lbs for a 60x40x24 unit, it's got to be made of fairly thick steel plate. $500 advertised, which leaves room in your budget for moving. click.
    Can you put something like that in a frame house? I mean on a wood constructed floor? Holy scamolli!!! 3500lbs? Maybe get that, then build the house around it? Concrete slab? How would someone get that delivered anyway---crane, tow truck? And for $500? Ya reckon that might be a mis-print?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Can you put something like that ... on a wood constructed floor?
    I wouldn't. But on a specially-constructed mini-dais designed to withstand the load and spread it across the foundation, sure. Or, directly to the foundation, ie in the garage.

3500lbs?
    The AMSEC AMvault and HS series do, the Graffunder "E" units get that heavy, and a few other mfrs' upper-end models do as well. 1" steel plate and sufficient fire-proofing on a 72x30x30" or larger safe will do that. Double vault doors will do that. The commercial-grade units designed to withstand any tooled attack ... they'll go way above this weight.

[quote]Maybe get that, then build the house around it?[quote]
    Some do, sure. Makes sense, if you're doing a new home. I would, if building new.

How would someone get that delivered anyway---crane, tow truck?
    Just takes the right forklift. Uh, that, and room to maneuver to the landing zone.

And for $500? Ya reckon that might be a mis-print?
    Could be. Dunno. Can't trust it until the seller is contacted. If ~25+ yrs old, needs paint, has an older interior and takes Atlas to move it, I can see a ~$5K (1980 $'s) unit being priced under $1K if the owner sees $1000-1500 comparably-sized units on the market and nobody biting with too high of a price for a "used" example. The condition isn't mentioned, other than "needing paint."

If anyone's seriously interested in this unit, PM me. The ad just appeared, so it might well be available.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Here is the one I just purchased a couple weeks ago. CANNON FIRE SAFE
    unfortunately they don't have any locations in your part of the world. It is the same one BigEFan gave you a link to. That price from Bud's is not bad. I can tell you that I am sold on mine. Plenty of ways to change the interior layout to fit your needs.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links