Sturdy Safes?

Sturdy Safes?

This is a discussion on Sturdy Safes? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody have experience with this safe company? I'm looking into safes and this is the one I'm most interested in for quality/price/options. Obviously, Liberty, Canon, ...

Thread: Sturdy Safes?

Sturdy Safes?

Anybody have experience with this safe company? I'm looking into safes and this is the one I'm most interested in for quality/price/options. Obviously, Liberty, Canon, and Fort Knox are appealing as well, but Sturdy is having a sale right now. Thanks for all the help/info.

Sorry, don't know about that one. The only brand I have is Fort Knox and it's served me well.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

If it is Sturdy Safes from Fresno California, they are first rate. I got one for Christmas, and got to visit the plant. Small family operation, good folks.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Swifty is correct. I just sold my old sturdy safe to a relative because it was too small, but they are well made safes. Instead of the usual 10 or 12 gauge steel, they use 7 or 8 gague steel that is very thick. They use a good grade S&G combo lock, pay the extra 10 bucks and get the keyed one.

They are not the most attractive safes but they are pretty darn strong.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

look at the construction material, fire rating, lock mechanism, I have a champion safe and all the one you listed are great depends on the $$$ you want to spend.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is a link to their website if people are interested: Sturdy Gun Safe Mfg. I like that their sidewalls are thick, but I am not sure I want to spend over 1000 either. It's probably not going to be a piece of decoration, so I am not concerned about the finish. I do want fire protection and thick sidewalls (at least 3/16th). What are the advantages/disadvantages of a dial or keypad? Are keypads easier to break into? I live in Seattle, what about a dehumidifier of somesort? Any other suggestions or things to consider? Thanks!

I like the dial locks on a safe. Don't have to worry about anything electronic breaking on ya. Also, I would absolutely put a dehumidifier in there. Just stuck a GoldenRod in mine and no problems at all. It has lasted forever. You could just go with those dessicant products as well. You do NOT want to be surprised one day to find that your guns have rusted and you were totally unaware of it.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Links