Defensive Carry banner

Shooting Gloves

6K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  KenInColo 
#1 ·
Anyone recommend some shooting gloves? Would like to find a nice pair of neoprene gloves with the fold back option on the trigger finger (at least).

Links, pics, recommendations? The ones I find that I like online seem to be all located in Britain.

Thanks, JP

#4 ·
Not to sound like Michael Jackson, but I only use one fingerless glove on my weak hand. I want to maintain the feel of the gun with my strong hand and use the gloved hand for racking the slide. I discovered that after doing that a bunch of times during a training session I started to wear the skin down a bit. My son pointed me to some weightlifting gloves that seemed to work just fine.

#5 ·
I tried the Bob Allen glove thing for trap shooting but man oh man it felt too weird. I gave it a go but gloves just aren't my thing for shooting any of my firearms.

#6 ·
There are lots of things I can't do with gloves on...and won't.

1.) Driving (I'm no Le Mans racer, and even when I'm on long trips, it just seems silly to have gloves on behind the wheel of a Jeep. Maybe if it were an Austin-Healey or a 'Vette convertible).

2.) Golf (I never use a glove...seems silly and doesn't help at all).

3.) Shooting (train for the real world...I don't wear shooting gloves to the mall, grocery or anywhere else. What happens when I need them in a confrontation? Is the BG going to wait until I'm ready?).

#9 ·
You guy's kill me!

1) Driving - That is subjective as some peoples hands stay cold all of the time in the winter thus stiffin them up and without gloves could not drive as well (or have the control of the wheel enough that is). My mom is a prime example, I run hot so no need for driving with gloves. I assure you my mom is not a Lemans racer but uses them when driving!

2) Golf - Also subjective. If feel (I'm sorry, I know) it does help me and I have been playing golf since I was 8 years old, am a scratch golfer and can drive the ball 300 plus yards easily at will and trust me, the glove helps when you are running higher swing speeds than most out there. I guess just about 99.9% of the best PGA golf professionals in the world and THE best in the world maybe ever (TW) are wrong about wearing a glove to play golf?

3) Shooting - Again, subjective. I train in the real world and train in any weather conditions other than if life threating along side LEO's and SWAT guy's that also wear gloves to train outside in an 8 hour training class and so do I. It becomes second nature and the gloves I use are thin and near like not having them on but are imparitive to keep the wind off your hands (not really for keeping them warm so much). Yea, if I am at the range for an hour or (like i am sure you are talking about) and just working with my ccw, I don't use gloves. Just because one chooses to use gloves to train and keep training all day where others won't because it's cold does not mean you can't shoot without them.:rolleyes:

ETA - I use these Hatch Shooting Gloves

Don't trust that pricing as that was the first site I found that had them. those seem high priced on that site IIRC, I've never used them as a resource. The hatch elite marksman are nice gloves.

Ti

#7 ·
These PAST leather gloves work good for me:

PAST Professional Shooting Gloves Fingerless Leather Black XL

I purchased them for my gunsite class, but ended up taking them off because they tended to get in the way. But if your just doing a lot of shooting for practice or whatever they work really nice.

#8 ·
Up here in NY, during the winter, I use these: Cabela's -- Bob Allen Shotgunner™ Shooting Gloves
I trap and pistol shoot a lot, and find them thin enough for comfort, and not too bulky for the trigger finger. Some people, though, cannot shoot with gloves at at all! I would go to somplace like Gabder Mnt, or Dicks Sporting (if there's one near you), and try 'em on.

#11 ·
I wear an Uncle Mike's glove on my strong hand when shooting my snubbies, otherwise the webbing of my hand gets a little beat up and sore.

Of course you wouldn't wear it when in a defensive situation, and I'm sure I wouldn't feel a thing.

#18 ·
+1, though I use a simple, inexpensive bikers/weight lifting glove (they are fingerless beyond the first joint after my knuckles) on my shooting hand for practice sessions where I'm shooting more than a few mags of ammo.

OTOH, like was said above, if I ever need to use my pistol in self-defense, I won't care about the recoil. Besides, I suspect if I ever need to use my gun in a defensive situation, the number of shots fired will be counted by the round, not by the magazine so wear and tear on my hand wouldn't be an issue.

#12 ·
I've used some of these in the past for shooting. I wear them all the time at work. These are excellent, and you can pick up a dime off the floor with these. Very dexterous and comfortable.
MaxiFlex II-G-Tek Maxiflex Nitirle Coated

#14 ·
Gloves

Depending on what you need them for I could offer several different recommendations on what I have found helpful.

ie. gotta stay warm, but still the need to shoot?
or going to be doing a lot of shooting and need something practical so your hand won't be warn out.

#21 ·
Here in Minnesota you better learn to shoot with gloves on or your fingers will be frozen to the trigger. I have a pair I bought from Cabela's that work well. Not made for sub-zero weather but if I don't expose my hand for too long I works fine. In the summer heat sometimes at the range I wear fingerless gloves simply because my hands sweat and the gun tends to turn in my hand as a result. They are nothing special, leather and slightly padded in the palm. In the middle during early hunting season I were a very thin pair that are great for shooting. Several of the sights linked above have gloves that are very close to what I have and look like any of them will do. I don't think I will forget how my gun feels by wearing either pair. Besides, with frozen fingers I wouldn't be able to shoot accurately anyway.

#24 ·
The neoprene will degrade and tear through. Additionally, it does not breathe and I find them uncomfortable. I'm kind of old school and just use the nomex flight gloves. You can get them just about anywhere and they usually run about $25. They breathe have nice thin leather grasping surfaces.

#26 ·
Personally, I'd like to get some thinner winter type gloves. The only time I wear gloves is winter, and I don't have any really suitable for shooting. My gloves work, but they're not great for shooting. If I ever needed to draw my weapon while walking to my car in freezing weather, it would be a lot easier with gloves made with shooting in mind.

#30 ·
I have been thinking about a pair of gloves that I can wear in cold weather that would lend themselves to shooting. Driving a truck with no heat in the winter leads to cold fingers (among other things).

#33 ·
Pistols:

In the winter, Blackhawks. Deerskin palms, stretchy cloth material on backhand, deerskin reinforced knuckle areas and velcro wrist straps. I wear these gloves all the time when I'm outdoors and carrying and practice w/them too.

In the summer no gloves.

Trapshooting:

In summer, Bob Allen (w/trigger finger cut out).

In winter, Footjoy winter golf gloves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.