Carrying a flashlight during daylight

This is a discussion on Carrying a flashlight during daylight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Paymeister I always carry my Ray-O-Vac 3W 2AA LED flashlight ( Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights ), and I'm very happy ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a flashlight during daylight

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I always carry my Ray-O-Vac 3W 2AA LED flashlight (Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights), and I'm very happy with it. I find that there are a surprising number of occasions in which it comes in helpful, from checking for dropped items behind or underneath something, to highlighting some bauble for my daughter....
    +1

I was carrying in church last weekend. Got a couple of weird looks while I was helping out. Most of the others don't realize that if we lose power, it's pitch black in the sanctuary if the emergency lights don't kick on.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Do you carry a firearm only when you know you'll need it?

-john
    Good point and one I have been asking myself a lot lately about carrying a flashlight. Finally did put a little LED one on my keyring and would like to carry a regular size Surefire, but between the gun and the magazines, I am about out of places to pack it around.
    I picked out a C3 Centurion and just have to decide if I can stick it in my pocket and not fall over from all the weight of the stuff I already carry.

Always carry at least two flashlights. I am amazed at how many times I am in a building where the lights go out, decide to look at something under in around or whatever shadows where you can't see, and otherwise wind up in dark places where they are needed. And I always carry two, just in case.

I love my surefires!

I use my G2 LED at work every day it is a great light. After work i usually carry my E2D clipped to my pocket. It really comes in handy you never know when you will need it.

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    Good point and one I have been asking myself a lot lately about carrying a flashlight. Finally did put a little LED one on my keyring and would like to carry a regular size Surefire, but between the gun and the magazines, I am about out of places to pack it around.
    I picked out a C3 Centurion and just have to decide if I can stick it in my pocket and not fall over from all the weight of the stuff I already carry.
    You might take a look at the SF E2e, L1 and L4. They are a lot smaller than the C3 and a lot skinnier.

-john

I always carry my PL-7, Premier light as well as my Leatherman Surge.

The PL-7 has a handy laser pointer I often use in training but also I've been in stores like Target where the power went out. The only natural light is by the doors, it was pitch black in the corner where I was with the family. Other people started to freak but I just told my family to stay put and I got out the light. It's also helpful in movie theaters if you drop something.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    For all you NON-law enforcement, do you carry a flashlight during daylight hours and if so, why?
    Nope. I put my Surefire in my pocket if I leave the house at night. Otherwise it is parked on my nightstand.

I'm quoting myself from armedpolitesociety.com from a post on 1/26/08...

So, last weekend my Father decides that he wants to take my Daughter for her first trainride. She is three, and, well, speaks like a three year old. He asked me to please come along to act as a translator. No problem, what time do you need me there?

Well, the train departs the station at 10:15. I need to be at his house at 9:30, so we can drive the 1/2 hour to the station, and have time to park and get to the platform.

Oh, great, I need to leave my house at 7:30. Up at 6:30 with Sammi. Make coffee. Drink first cup. Get Sammi and I in the shower, dressed and ready to go. Cups #2 and 3. I load the car, and grab the travel mug. Cups 4-5. Drive the two hours.

Pickup my Dad, head to the train station. On the way, Dad wants a coffee, buys me a large....what's that, cups 6 and 7?

Go to the station, and, well, the bathroom is closed for cleaning. Bah, no worries, I'm fine. Train is 15 minutes late. I'm cold, and I now need to, ah, remove the coffee from my system.

The train comes, and I know that the restrooms are at both ends. Nope, Dad decides to sit in the middle car, so we can sit upstairs to have a better view. Then the train starts to move. I need to go. With a greater sence of urgency. First stop, second stop, third stop. I need to go, now. Like painful need to go. I get up for the next stop, and explain that I'm going to get off and jump to one end of the other. While I'm explaining why I doing this to my Father, I get a lecture about not waiting that long. Perfect timing, we miss that stop.

I'm now standing in the front of the car, in crisis mode. I'm trying to figure out which side of the train has less houses, as I'm entertaining dropping trow and going overboard.

It's that bad folks.

Well, I get to the point, that I need to go. There is no more waiting, I need to go. I walk through the train to the next train, where the two conductors are talking about of of their previous nights, ah, escapades with some woman that one of them obviously thought was the most beautiful woman in the world, and the other was doubting his story.

I barge in to the car in panic mode....they both turn around to tell me that the train is closed and I need to go to the other end to go to the latrine. I firmly, but politely told them that this was not an option.

They explain to me, and they were very, very nice about it, that the car was closed and the bathroom was for the conductors only.

I told them to offer me a job, I had to go.

I whip open the door, the light is out. Dead. No light. No windows. I can't see straight, I'm in so much pain at this point.

They tell me something to the effect that the bathroom was closed as the light was out and it was a safety issues, blah, blah, blah.

I panic. I can't walk, I need to go. Then, the heavens open, the angels sing, and I remember that since I am self proclaimed paranoid, my Surefire is in my pocket.

Turn the end cap to constant on, jam it in my mouth, slam the door shut on two rather upset conductors, and, well, created a much smaller scale version of Niagra Falls.

I open the door, 25 or 30 pounds lighter, and the light is still in my mouth.

One conductor is pissed at the apparent disrespect I showed him. The other is laughing. He them pulls out his surefire, blaps me in the chest with it (the whole "nice toy, I have one too, welcome the the International Brotherhood of Paranoid, but Prepared, Flashlight keepers), and told me to have a nice day.

And that, my friends, is why I always have a flashlight in my pocket, day or night.

M
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

Here's why: I was at a local university a couple weeks ago sitting in a lecture hall. Entergy was doing some work that couldn't be hot-swapped. Boom... Lights out... No useful emergency lights... Lots of steep stairs to climb to get out of the bowl. I'm the only one with a light. Made me a believer.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Dark bad scary boogie men. Light good always. Led key chain light NovaTech 84 lum w/spare battery
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

During the winter months my hard anodized E2E is always in my jacket pocket. Summertime it's on the belt next to mags.

When I'm camping or in the field I also carry the Aviator.

ree
    Yep. I just bought a Fenix L1D Q5 and also a L2D Q5 a few weeks ago. The L1D is very small and light so I just toss in in one of my pockets and often forget to remove it when undressing because it is so light and small.

Well, I went to a wedding the weekend before last. It was at a very old lodge with, apparently, old wiring. When we showed up at about 3pm, candles were lit everywhere, not for ambiance, but for light since the power had gone out an hour or so prior. The staff had put candles in the bathrooms, but not in the hall leading to them because there was no table/shelf in that hall. I was able to help a few elderly folks with bad vision find their way to the end of the dark hall because I had my L1D handy.

Since then, I've repeatedly found myself during daytime, in areas that have poor lighting and using my L1D to help read things or search for items.

As recently as a month ago, I would have thought it a bit odd to always carry a light, but now that I've got a powerful, lightweight one, my mind has changed.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    depending on what kind of flashlight you have, it can be good for meleeing
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I have a Fenix P1D/CE Q5 in my pocket all the time. I would feel lost without it!!!!
    It amazes me how bright it is. I love to see somebody with a huge D size maglight, then I pull this little Fenix out and it blows the Mag away!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I carry one for work .I need to look in to deep dark places.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links