Carrying a flashlight during daylight

This is a discussion on Carrying a flashlight during daylight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For all you NON-law enforcement, do you carry a flashlight during daylight hours and if so, why? I currently have a little Photon Freedom Micro ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a flashlight during daylight

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Carrying a flashlight during daylight

For all you NON-law enforcement, do you carry a flashlight during daylight hours and if so, why?

I currently have a little Photon Freedom Micro light on my key chain which I obviously have with me all the time, but I just started carrying my Surefire EL1 at night.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; February 2nd, 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Wrong flashlight model
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a small Fenix LED light on my key chain. I've been surprised how often I use it now that i always have a flashlight with me.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I carry one all the time...a surefire G2 with a 120 lumen upgrade bulb...I am amazed at the amount of time I have used....just as much as a pocket knife..
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I carry flashlights with me at all times. If I keep a light in my pocket I never have to worry about where I put it. I have lights stashed around the house but if i am in the car and drop something under the seat it is hany to have a light of some sort, the same goes for the barn shop or back pasture.

Senior Moderator
    If I leave the house after dark I have a light, I have a light in both cars. I do not carry one on me during normal daylight hours.

If you want to carry one do. You will probably use it and be glad you have it from time to time, just like a Leatherman
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Just because it's sunny outside, doesn't mean it's as bright INSIDE.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I always carry my inova x5 on me at all times. I just know how good ole murphy likes to stick his head into all of my business, and the time I'll need it is when I've rationalized that I don't need it.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Cyclops - Flashlights
    I keep my Cyclops XCF with me most of the time. I've had it over a year with no problems. It's a great flashlight for the money.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Always. I have carried a SureFire E2D (never would buy another or recommend that one to anyone), a streamlight scorpion and a surefire G2 (I like that one).

As stated, it is not always bright inside.

I carry vertically on my belt @ 11 AM. It is not inconvenient at all.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carry my flashlight any time that I wear pants. Mine is a Garrity (no other information) with a clip on it. It goes at 9:00 IWB, right behind my knife.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I carry my E2D surefire all the time, clips into left front pocket.
    It has come in handy during the day. And it has the power to temporary blind someone even in day light. mine also has the strike bezels if needed.
    I wouldn't leave home with out it.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

VIP Member
    About 3 years ago I was at the Miami Airport Parking lot with my mother and a friend of hers one very bright summer day. I had a light but I was of the opinion that you did not need a light during daytime. We decide to take the elevator to the terminal and as we got in, one not great looking character joined us. When the doors closed, the cab lights were all out and it was dark as midnight inside a cave. Needless to say it was a very tense time until we reached the intended floor.
    Nothing happened but it was the last time I was ever without a light outside the home. Lesson learned without consequences.

Carry Light: Surefire 6P
    Last edited by Miggy; February 2nd, 2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: oopsie!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I always carry my Ray-O-Vac 3W 2AA LED flashlight (Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights), and I'm very happy with it. I find that there are a surprising number of occasions in which it comes in helpful, from checking for dropped items behind or underneath something, to highlighting some bauble for my daughter. I also carry it for its ability to deter a bad guy with its brightness, and its 'roll of nickles' characteristics should (God forbid) I need to punch someone.

I guess the most use I've gotten out of it is in unloading the trunk and lighting the way for the ladies to get from car to house, but those are noble tasks, too.

I have an 85 lumen programmable NovaTac in my pocket always.

4 Power Outages

I've been in four power outages or shut downs over the years in a large commercial buildings. At that point the buildings were dark beyond belief. In one case it was a 1MM sq ft warehouse. A sure fire E1E will give you 20 min of power to get out safely. My small keychain light will outlast that.

In one case the power was shut off due to a gas leak. I also learned to keep a spare key in my pocket (other keys were at my desk). I stood in the cold for an hour until the all clear was called. Could have just gone home.

For those of you where this is less likely I can point out one time I was shopping in a mall when the power went out. The only other time I was in such darkness was a cave tour. ZERO light.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links