Bullet proof vest?!?!?

Bullet proof vest?!?!?

This is a discussion on Bullet proof vest?!?!? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to my buddy and he is a LEO and I just got him to start wearing his vest. (bullet proof vest) It ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet proof vest?!?!?

Bullet proof vest?!?!?

I was talking to my buddy and he is a LEO and I just got him to start wearing his vest. (bullet proof vest) It just drove me up the wall that he didn't wear it on the regular and I am glad to say he does now.

He asked me would I ever buy and wear a vest even if I am not and LEO. The thought never crossed my mind. I carry 24/7 and it never crossed my mind for that extra (maybe bit extreme) protection. So my questions are

Does anyone that is not a LEO wear a vest some times or all the time?

Do LEO's wear their vest off of work?

Would getting a vest be a bit overboard?

I am still up in the air about it. Just wanted to see what people think or even do. I thought it would be a good idea if one is on a campus where there is no carry at all. Just a thought!
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I think it is illegal in Texas for a non-LEO to wear a bullet-proof vest. Anyone know for sure?
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

Administrator
    When in uniform, I wear mine. Out of uniform, working or not, I'd rather throw the thing away.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just so you know no such thing as a Bullet Proof Vest

Resistant is all.

And I wear mine on the job only.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I don't and have never considered it. If I were young and on a college campus in a "victim disarmament zone", then this is certainly food for thought. Being there for a good portion of your waking hours, it might be a good idea. I'd have to think about it though.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I wear mine while on duty. More of a risk due to car stops and hot calls. Plus, just being in uniform and in a marked car makes you a target. Off-duty I never wear it.

I wouldn't spend the money if I were you. A good vest is not cheap. Buy another handgun if the money is burning a hole in your pocket.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Better check your laws. It is illegal for non LEO to have armor in some states.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I though it was illegal to have a vest if your a felon and also illegal to wear if your committing a crime in most states. Other than that, I believe that your allowed to wear in virtually all states.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I wear one when I teach on the range and when I train. In PA it is legal for non LEO to wear one but it is illegal to possess/wear one while engaged in criminal activity.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I think legal in MI, unless comitting a crime (felony maybe?). I wouldn't consider it unless I knew of a very specific threat coming. But then I'd probably just not be there.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I believe that in NYS it's illegal to have one on during the commission of a crime or when engaged in illegal activity. I've tried to look it up, but lawyers have their own language and I'm not quite sure how to search it.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Several years ago I rode on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy; I bought one from a guy who was retiring for a good price to wear on patrol. I was also a telecommunications tech, installing and maintaining business telephone systems, quite often I would have to do work on a system over night to avoid business disruption. There were several nights I was in and out of banks (getting tools, wire etc from the truck) after midnight, or working downtown in less desirable areas over night. YES there were numerous times I wore my vest, in fact once my employer found out I had my CCW and the vest and I was the single guy in the company I got most of these jobs. There were a couple jobs where we were changing out a system and the owners told the company flat out “Make sure whoever you send is armed”. I got those jobs.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    besides the fact that it would have serious implications on your social life (seriously), it would take away your ability to blend in. Concealed carry > OWB in the sense that we have the tactical advantage of surprise. If you're gonna wear a vest you might as well wear OWB or carry a big flag that says "Im carrying!"
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Second Chance Deep Cover IIA....Under a golf shirt it is nearly impossible to see.

Well first off, it's bullet resistant and not bullet proof, In work I wear a bullet & stab resistant vest, & I wear it whenever I visit the range, otherwise its not worn.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links