Cell Phones

Cell Phones

This is a discussion on Cell Phones within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I just had a thought while posting in another thread. I don't know if this topic has been explored before or not. During ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones

Cell Phones

Hi all,

I just had a thought while posting in another thread. I don't know if this topic has been explored before or not.

During my Loss Prevention days I used my cell phone many, many times to call the cavalry to help catch an escaped shoplifter. My cell still has all the emergency numbers I need on one touch and some are on voice recall. Around here 911 will get you the state police who will immediately connect you to the local department wherever you are.

Any thoughts on cell phones as a defensive tool?

Mike

As a way to deal with emergencies, sure it's a godsend. It really is a self defense tool.

However I would certainly not want it to be my only self defense tool, and I personally have lived for over 20 years without one. I'd rather have my knife, flashlight, money, pistol and multitool, etc. and no cell phone than have my cell phone.

The cell phone is wonderful and people should view it as another tool, but the problem is the sheeple get the idea that the phone is all that is necessary and the Brady Bunch spreads this lie in turn.

"You don't need a gun/light/first aid kit, just call 9-1-1, they'll get to you in about an hour assuming you have the signal strength to get through and the time to dial..."

Assistant Administrator
    Know what?

50% of the reason I carry a cell is in case I need to call in for someone else!! I hate the thought of coming across a wreck for instance - or maybe witnessing something bad going down - and having no means to summon assistance.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Cell Phones

Don't Leave Home Without One.
    They are a great tool to have.
    I've had one since all the way back when they weighed about 2.5 pounds!

Assistant Administrator
    when they weighed about 2.5 pounds!
    Haha - sure my first one weighed twice that. It was worse on my belt than the darned SIG!

`
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    I always try to carry mine. Already got me help when the truck broke down out of town.

I've been a "cell phone resister" for a long time, mostly because I object to how the public at large chooses to use them (just today I was standing in line at Subway and some self-important man gets in line behind me and begins having a 'Push To Talk' conversation with his office, the freaking thing at full volume echoing through the store, as he yells back... arrrggghhhh).

Anyway, after getting my CCW permit, it was just sort of part of the gear that I felt had to be on my belt, to be responsible. God for bid if it ever comes to having to defend myself, I want to be the first one on the phone to the police.

Lead Moderator
    Got the first one when Sprint came out with the digital system, it was just for emergencies. Over the years the use has increased, like using it for a lot of the long distance calling since we're paying for the minutes whether we use them or not.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I fall in with Chris on this one...my cell phone was orginally designed as a system to let me alert people to emergencies, or if something unexpected came up.

Now, I use it for everything from routine calls, to calling in motor vehicle accidents I come across.

It's also my primary POC because I'm a college kid and having it allows everyone to get me at one number.
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

An EMT friend suggested - Enter the name ICE into your cell phone contact listing. The name ICE stands for, In Case of Emergency. In your ICE contact, list the phone numbers and or names of those you want contacted should you become injured or found unresponsive. Not a bad idea.

I'm glad to see so many ppl are utilizing cell phones as part of their "daily carry" equipment!

Personally I put an "AA" in front of my most important "scroll numbers" that way they are always at the top. I limit this feature to a select few. When you are under adrenaline stress. Fine motor skills( including memory ) go right out the window. Best to limit it to 3. This way in every day use your mind sees those 3 and will lock onto them in an emergency. It's worked for me.

Mike

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - good notion re ''AA'' prefix - I think I will implement that too!
    Chris - P95

I always carry a cell phone and most of the time 2 mine and the companys so im almost never with out one

I'm in the same boat as Bud. Personal phone and the company one always on my belt. Would never be the only line of defense, but it's good to have one.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I have read more than one source that the first person calling 911 or the local police is considered the victim. Take for example you are walking out to your car, and are accosted by a BG. Just seeing your firearm is enough to drive off the person. You think nothing of it, and go about your business. The BG dumps his weapon, and call the police stating you threatened him with you firearm. Give them your description, and the police find you. Now your are the BG because you did not report the incident. Is this wrong, you bet ya! In the long run you may be vindicated but it could be a bumpy road.

So any time you must draw your firearm, or show it. The first thing you do after it is safe, is call 911. It is a waste of police recourses, in my example, to call 911 but you must CYA in todays world.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links