How do you 'tune' a magazine?

This is a discussion on How do you 'tune' a magazine? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kimber Pro CDPII. I bought it on a trade good for me....it came with a Mec-gar magazine that goes in easy, but ...

Thread: How do you 'tune' a magazine?

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

I have a Kimber Pro CDPII. I bought it on a trade good for me....it came with a Mec-gar magazine that goes in easy, but needs a push up while I depress the mag release for it to drop out. Other mags (different brands) I have don't have this problem. Is it something that a little filing can cure? On the magazine, not the gun .
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

yea, a friend of mine has a kahr that wont eject mags without a bit of help.
    im sure someone here will have a good solution for us
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Assistant Administrator
    It is possible - with GREAT CARE - to sometimes ease one of these kinda mags by astute file useage.

Thing is - no one wants a sloppy mag - one which sits sloppy and too low. Too much file work and that will happen.

I'd suggest, with careful use of the finest needle file ....... a miniscule amount of metal is taken off the top portion of the engagement slot - and the mag tested again for fit. Could be even half a thou is enough to relieve this problem. Easy to remove metal but - way harder to put it back so - minute stages is way to go.

Other ''tuning'' aspects, while on subject -- good to ensure 100% free movement of follower - and, totally dry inside of mag of any oil ... JMHO - only ''lube'' for inside should be dry lube and not lashings of runny oil. Which attracts crud!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've been known to do a little filing/fitting on the notch on metal magazines before to assist with functionality. Usually this would be the lower part of the notch or they are not cut toward the back of the mag far enough. You can put a piece of masking tape tightly over the notch and insert the mag to possibly tell what direction you would need to go. Hold the mag release in while inserting the mag fully then letting go of the mag release. You'll want to be careful so as not to make the magazine too sloppy or not engage properly. In the past I've also taken the flat/single stack mags like the 1911's and squeezed them in my hand on the sides then test them until they run well empty, then try them loaded the same way. I've used a utility knife on some Glock magazines where the catch notch is not sharp or well defined also. I've also been known to use Armor-All on the synthetic magazines to aid in dropping. By no means am I suggesting taking the hacksaw and vise grips to your mags, but mass production technology does get out of calibration every now and then, especially when the Q-A department is all out sick with the flu.

Senior Moderator
    Also, tuning can include 'stoning' and adjusting the mag lips to improve feeding, but of course, that won't help the mag release issue.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I need to buy a good quality file set.....these American-Chinese Imports just ain't doin' it.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Dremel tools are nice for all kinds of firearms uses also!

A little metal layout fluid can work wonders here. Put a little on the suspect areas and then cycle the mag in the gun a few times. There will be a nice shiny spot where it has rubbed off. It's also fairly common practice to coat an entire mag with the stuff and then cycling. You'd be surprised where you occasionally find high spots on some mag/pistol combinations. A little judicious work can give you mags that insert/eject very smoothly.

The excess layout dye can be removed with solvent or buffed off.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Sponsored Links