Streamlight Microstream Vs. Surefire G2(lights)

This is a discussion on Streamlight Microstream Vs. Surefire G2(lights) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned a G2 Surefire nitralon flashlight for quite a while. I am happy with its durability , beam throw and overall quality. i ...

Thread: Streamlight Microstream Vs. Surefire G2(lights)

Lead Moderator

Streamlight Microstream Vs. Surefire G2(lights)

I have owned a G2 Surefire nitralon flashlight for quite a while. I am happy with its durability , beam throw and overall quality. i find if I use the light to light up things for a short time it makes the 123 batteries last a long time.
    I recently purchased a Streamlight Microstream (I was considering a E2 executive Surefire) . After using the Mircostream for a little less than a month I find it works as well as the G2 , but takes up a lot less space.
    Given I work plainclothes security and always like to have a blindingly bright light , I found the Microstream to be ideal. It conceals better than the G2, takes one AAA battery, and is plenty durable enough to survive drops on concrete, and works well.
    Here is a side by side comparison of the G2 vs. the Microstream. First pics are outside at about 20 ft. (G2 first, Microstream 2nd. ) Next are inside at about 15 ft.
    The G2 may have a slight advantage in beam throw(however my micro ouside beam is aimed a bit off from the G2's) note the yellow light of the G2 compared to the Micro.
    Finally pics of the 2 lights and the Microstream in my hand. Overall, I would have to say at just over $20 the Microstream is my EDC light for now.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Glad that you edc a light. DO NOT GO OVER TO CANDLEPOWERFORUMS.COM. Your wallet may never forgive you.

Generally, you buy Surefire for A) dependability, B) quality, C) customer service D) aesthetics, and E) The name.
    That being said you oftentimes can find a light of comparable quality from another manufacturer that costs much much less than a Surefire. I find that at times I will edc my Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme. It cost me $25 at Wally World, runs on two (much cheaper) AAs, and battery life is about an hour. However, that doesnt stop me from purchasing and loving my Surefires. Its like a disease. I have 5 (6PL, G2L, 6PD, G3, and G2) and just placed an order with batteryjunction for two more (another G2, in OD green and a L1 Cree). I cant stop.

But you know that your holding quality in your hand with a Surefire. But it also pains you because you oftentimes have to comfort your crying wallet.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

How do the Fenix lights compare?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

From what I've heard and experienced, Fenix lights (notably the ones with the new cree or ssc leds) can be had brighter, and at a cheaper price than comparable surefires. However, Fenix measures lumens out of the emitter, and Surefire tends to underrate their lights and measure them out the front of the light. So for example, a 100 lumen surefire light will most likely be putting out 120-130 lumens at first, then halfway thru the batteries be producing 100 lumens, then decline further. At the same time, a 100 lumen Fenix light will be producing only 65-70 percent comparable output. Generally, one must multiply another manufacturer's lumen estimation by .60 or .65 to get the accurate, "Surefire" rating. If a light by Fenix is said to have 150 lumens, it really only has about 97-98 lumens. Not saying that they are trying to deceive you. Its just another way of estimating output.

And I like the finish on my Surefires better.

That being said I own both Fenix and Surefire.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Second question...I've got an original Surefire 6P. I've heard that you can replace the bulb unit with an LED unit (not the replacement head). Any idea of the cost?

you can get cree dropins for the 6P for $10-15 at dealxtreme.com Shipping is free and I've heard that these drop-ins are pretty decent, with much better output than the stock bulb. Occasionally you might get a bad one, but I've also heard that dealxtreme is pretty good to deal with. You can also get a p60L cree replacement from surefire for $39. I have one coming to me and I have the same LED dropin in the 6PL. 80 lumens for 3 hours, with declining (but still pretty bright) light after that for another 3-4 hours. There is also a guy named Malkoff who makes p60 sized LED dropins that I've heard is the s*** but they also cost somewhat more. Finally, bugoutgearusa.com also has p60 LED dropins that are a little better than the p60L from surefire, but they also cost a wee bit more

I would go with either the dealxtreme dropins (and get 2-3 just in case) or the p60L (which surefire will replace if there is a prob).
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

I have had my E2E for years of perfect service...60 lumens for 1.4 hours.
    I have tried several other flash lights...named from this forum...from Cabela's, etc. Each time, I was disappointed after months of use...they developed problems...usually in the switch apparatus.
    I always go back to my E2E that has faithfully waited in the safe for my return...still gives me that faithful service.

Four months ago I bought the SureFire, L-4 LED...100 lumens lasting 2.5 hours. All I can say is WOW! Now I can send messages to airliners flying over the house at 40,000 feet. Well, not exactly, but this sucker is BRIGHT, and I know that this light will last forever or be replaced by SureFire.
    Yep, it was expensive, but I've found that you get what you pay for.

It is, however, fun to experiment with different brands. One thing I have done is replace all my MagLight flashlight bulbs with the $20 dollar LED bulbs...and that makes a BIG difference on the flashlights for the house or the car..."LED is good...!!!"

Hey Rocky...what is all that white stuff piled around your truck?

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the advise Jeff!

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I think I'm going to pick up a Microstream and carry a light all the time now.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links