What Weapon Mounted Light?

This is a discussion on What Weapon Mounted Light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without getting into the merits or downfalls of using weapon mounted lights, which system would you use? From my own research, I've come to the ...

View Poll Results: What Weapon Mounted Light would/do you use??

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Insight SSL-1

1 2.63%
  • Streamlight TLR-1

11 28.95%
  • Surefire x200a

6 15.79%
  • Surefire x200b

2 5.26%
  • Surefire x300

9 23.68%
  • Other (please list which one!)

9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Weapon Mounted Light?

What Weapon Mounted Light?

Without getting into the merits or downfalls of using weapon mounted lights, which system would you use?

From my own research, I've come to the conclusion that the Surefire x300 is the best and the 200a/b have their flaws. Are the Surefires really that much better to cost so much?

2. Remove Ads

"Best" depends on how you plan to use it. For a weapons-mounted light that will see daily use and be attached for thousands of rounds, buy a Surefire. I have yet to see another manufacturer's product hold up when subjected to extended use. The shortcomings of the X200 are directly related to the type of hard use I am referring to. The X300 is an excellent product and is well worth the money if you subject your equipment to hard use.

However, if you are looking for something to attach nightly to your pistol, have no plans to subject it to hard use and will occasionally put a few roiunds through your handgun with the light attached, a less expensive light will serve you just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    "Best" depends on how you plan to use it. For a weapons-mounted light that will see daily use and be attached for thousands of rounds, buy a Surefire. I have yet to see another manufacturer's product hold up when subjected to extended use. The shortcomings of the X200 are directly related to the type of hard use I am referring to. The X300 is an excellent product and is well worth the money if you subject your equipment to hard use.

However, if you are looking for something to attach nightly to your pistol, have no plans to subject it to hard use and will occasionally put a few roiunds through your handgun with the light attached, a less expensive light will serve you just as well.
    +1.

Since the question is what I would use... I chose the TLR-1, since it's inexpensive, works, and I'd rarely use it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post

Other than some Low-light courses, I wouldn't expect much use except for HD.

I got the TLR-2, I wanted a light for the house that attached to the pistol so i have a free hand. I also wanted the laser for if i was startled in the middle of the night, I could use the laser in a dimly lit area.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

I won the x200a on ebay "by accident"* I got it for $128.00 (almost half of retail)* I was not going to turn it down.* Do i wish i had the x300 instead, probably.* Are the Surefires worth the money...YES.* They are expensive but overall they are the most durable and overall quality light I have used.* The streamlights are a close second as far as commercially available lights go.* If you but an insight or a streamlight, or a surefire...you will not be dissatisified.* I can vouch for the surefires.* They are used in very harsh environments all over the world, and thay is probably for a reason.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    I didnt vote because I really dont think it matters much... I'd rule anything out with a laser on it right away, and I do think that a lot of the newer WML are to bright. I really like my old Insight M3... newer and brighter isnt always better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have an X200a that is about 3 yrs old. No problems with it. But, anything with a white light and without a laser will do just fine.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I like my Streamlight M-6 flashlight/laser on my Sig .40 S&W. It's also got night sights on it and is my daily carry gun. I just put the M-6 on it when I settle in for the evening. I rely more on the sights instead of the laser but I like the option of having it there. When I picked both the gun and the M-6 up at the Tulsa gun show I didn't know that the Sig had night sights on it. At 15 yards the laser is sighted dead on target and is in the middle of the flashlight beam. I just look at it as handy especially when dealing with skunks or feral dogs out here in the country.
    Last edited by ridurall; February 26th, 2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: adding something
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I went with the Streamlight (whatever it was)-must be the new technology, but I have the 'old' models of the M-3 and M-6. The first is the light only constant on or touch on. The M-6 is the light/laser combo with light only, laser only, light and laser options. I just bought a touch-pad switch that works with both, but M-3 is on my Bushmaster. The M-6 sees duty under my G22 house pistol, and I've learned to use these tactical accessories very effectively. I'll have to remain with what's familiar-even if it becomes outdated. Love my Streamlights!
    Last edited by Ram Rod; February 26th, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling

The TLRs are very bright. I have the TLR2 only because I got a GREAT price on it, which was only a few bucks more than the TLR1.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

oops. I'm the one who put x200b. I have the x200a. I have no idea if I can edit a poll answer. Sorry I messed up your poll-Jay

VIP Member
    StreamLight TLR-2!

Ya just gotta have the laser too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

my options were limited(USP) surefire 115pd 120lumens
    Nightstand only, hope I never need it, better to have and not need,then need and not have!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This evening I decided to give my M-6 Streamlight flashlight/laser tactical light another test. I've got a pig steel swinger in front of my house and just enjoy ringing the gongs. Usually I don't mess around at night but since I switched to the Sig from the Baby Eagle with the mounted light in the evening I figured I'd better check the zero. All I did when I changed it over to the Sig was adjust the laser to where I normally hit at 15 yards which is at the 6:00 position with my sights. I fired 5 shots at the white painted steel pig and could cover them up with a silver dollar. Yep works for me. The next skunk, cat, feral dog or BG at night is in trouble. I'm pleased with it's performance and the ability to remove it every morning and put it on every evening since the Sig is my daily carry gun. Anyway just wanted to let you all know it works for me and stays dead on target between moving it on and off.
    Last edited by ridurall; February 28th, 2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links