Shoot Me First Vest?

This is a discussion on Shoot Me First Vest? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this quote from Massad Ayoob and thought just for fun I'd share it. "After all these years, I've only found one case of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot Me First Vest?

VIP Member

Shoot Me First Vest?

I found this quote from Massad Ayoob and thought just for fun I'd share it.

"After all these years, I've only found one case of anyone "getting shot first" because they were wearing vests. It is found in the very first Star Wars movie. The rebel bodyguards of Princess Leia are all wearing a uniform that includes a black vest which looks remarkably like something from Concealed Carry Clothiers. When the Imperial Storm Troopers led by Darth Vader attack their ship, the Storm Troopers blast every rebel so dressed."
    - Massad Ayoob
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the post. Nice to know that is the only case known. If the bad guy always shot people first who wear these type vest there would be a lot of Fishermen, News reporters, carpenters, and a lot of old people who need a lot of pockets being shot. Plus a few of us that wear vest for all ocasions and also carry concealed. I have multiple vest that are used for multiple things.

VIP Member
    I do have a vest that has a lot of firearms-related patches on it, but I now only wear it to the range or perhaps to a gun show. My "cover garments" have nothing to do with firearms per se. This works for me--YMMV.

VIP Member
    I guess the reason I liked that quote is because I have several vest, some 5.11's, a couple SIG-TAC vest and a couple from Orvis. I get some comments from folks on the CCW/Gun forums but being in a western state I never get a second look from anyone here. Maybe it's my shaved head and Oakleys... people must think I'm a LEO or something.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I liked Star Wars! Back in them thar days--I'd never even thought about body armor or concealed carry. Interesting. I like Ayoob and have read alot of his books/articles.

Ayoob still wears RayBan aviators and sans-a-belt slacks for his IWB clip-on.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

That "Shoot me first" concept holds true for open carry advocates. In a recent mass shooting, the shooter took out two cops before he started on everyone else.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

When it comes to Ayoob advisories I have nothing against the guy and he generally gives good practical duh type advice, but I also will add a little salt to his sugar.

Personally I'm not into advertising my weaknesses nor strengths.
    For what exact reason would want to do so?
    Outside of say a gunfu relevant event or location (i.e. shooting event, training course, or gunshow) walking around in regular real world life sporting such garb with patches and stickers on ones car of 'Driver is a packer' or some such at best entertainment grade marketing to me makes no sense. As to so called shooters vests we all have seen them and they do come in a wide variety of styles. Some very non-descript and common for various industries that interact with the world at large such as photographers and even anglers. Others though do scream gun including especially those with patches and/or embroidery that says for example 'Smith & Wesson' or have ones club name stitched into it. It all depends on factors. Open carry in specific withstanding.

Then there is the environment that one as an individual most often travels in and amongst. Last week I had a conversation with an RO I know during an IDPA event. He asked why it is he never sees me with a jacket and commented that I could have shot a given stage faster from the draw if I had worn a jacket as opposed to street clothes. That day I had a pull over shirt on as cover which I walked in wearing and walked out for the remainder of the day as same. My norm.
    My response to him was I train exactly as I carry and conduct myself normally. I would never wear a shooters vest IRL and if I did amongst some of the areas where I travel (but not live) to some people specific to me they would think I were either a dork (most probable) or if they were knowledgeable think hey he's a gun guy. Neither is good...for me...on the streets. When in rome do as the romans do. I know of no romans in my zone who support said 'fashion', others and Ayoobs may and likely does differ. Know your zone, local fashion, and criminals state of mind and focus.

Myself to me concealed means concealed.
    With that it also means no tells, signs, or secret handshakes and knowing winks. Just like Texas Hold'em winner takes all in this game and the streets will take note of everything to gain an advantage in play. That the game and how it goes for players regardless of results featured in the media (or not), win, lose, and draw.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator

Good post Janq.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    +1 to Janq. Main reason I refuse to wear a fanny-pack, and chuckle when I hear someone suggesting it to another in a gun-shop. To each his own, but I don't want ANYONE to know I'm packing. Having the gun is just _one_of_many_ advantages you can hold. Another being the element of surprise.

I bought my Vest for camping or hiking on vacation. I don't use it to hide a gun, I Carry all my junk in it. The few times I wore it out around home people asked if I was going fishing. I got the idea when I was at The Grand Canyon I saw a guy with a vest. He had a place for water bottles, his small camera, etc. beats the heck out of carrying your stuff in a bag. I'd forget the bag someplace .

The fact that I wear some sort of vest daily has nothing to do with carrying. I just need the pockets for sunfry other things. Bout the only time I don't wear a vest is when it is hot and I am working in the back pasture, mos of my tools and things I need are either in a bucket or a cart or both.

VIP Member
    I've been wearing a vest for I don't know how many years and after I started carrying even more so. Still to this day every single person that is non-gun related asks me if I am going fishing or if I am a photographer. I am sure gun people have "made" me but they apply the same concept that I apply when I suspect somebody is carrying: He is one of the good guys and I'll keep my mouth shut. I'll just keep an eye on him just in case."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Janq makes valid points and I think we all have different needs - our local environment also influences perceptions of others too.

I am semi rural ... and dress varies a great deal .... such that nothing really stands out too much. My vest gets most use in summer and much of that is when out on bike - and that in a sense sorta cancels out IMO any major ''shoot me first'' effect!

I guess demeanor etc affects perceptions too - whereby if an individual is carrying well re concealment (our goal I hope) ..... and coming over as relaxed even if vigilant, there should be no need for being singled out by a bad guy.

I also have the ''keep 'em guessing'' attitude too - like with fanny packs. "Do I have a gun? .......... for me to know, and you to find out!"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I live rural and work biz casual, so my dress varies. Around home everyone hunts, camo is very common, and a vest wouldn't get a second glance. Baggy pants and a hoody , on the other hand, would draw everyone's attention.

In town the vest might get noticed.

As previously said, when in Rome ...

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links