Let's Talk About Magazine Springs - Page 2

Let's Talk About Magazine Springs

This is a discussion on Let's Talk About Magazine Springs within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have done some experimenting with high capacity magazines, because i own a P14.45 When you load the P14 to 14 rounds of ammo this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Talk About Magazine Springs

magazine spring problem or friction from loaded rounds

I have done some experimenting with high capacity magazines, because i own a P14.45
    When you load the P14 to 14 rounds of ammo this creates a condition of the magazine spring that is is basically totaly collapsed.
    A spring generates more energy when it is in it's average length, not at the beginning or at it's full extension.
    I have over time visited web sights that batter high capacity magazines and their failures to feed in certain pistols, like the P14.
    I even went to the beefed up Wolff springs and still had some failures to feed, only due to I believe was friction of the stack of brass within the magazine.
    If I would use steel case ammo, the odds of a FTF would occur more than if I used brass ammo. If I used chrome plated ammo it would almost always feed.
    Then the experiment came...
    I would use a very and I mean very lightly oiled cloth and massage all the rounds before loading them into the magazine, the reduced friction from the light oil and also a lightly oiled magazine and spring made all steel, brass and chromed brass rounds feed with no hitches.
    I believe it is more to do with the friction within the magazine than magazine spring strength.
    Would like to hear comments on my theory...
    B.E. Master indoor and out
    Distinguished Revolver #99

Administrator

Neat Question.

It's an interesting idea. A non penetrating paraffin type oil might be OK.
    Wondering if even the slightest trace of oil would gather dust/grit/lint though.
    Also...I remember that with the .45 at the moment of firing the cartridge case needs to expand & hold or put friction pressure against the interior barrel chamber walls.
    I'm wondering if the slippery oil would mess up that necessary part of the firing sequence? Interesting question. I don't know the answer to it.
    I DO remember in one issue of GUN testS magazine they needed to (somehow??) lube the exterior of the cartridge cases to get them to either "Feed or extract" I don't remember which.
    I think they had extraction problems with these HOT Steel Case .45acp loads unless they lightly spray Teflon coated the cartridge cases. Anybody remember that particular article?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links