Night Sights

Night Sights

This is a discussion on Night Sights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally got some money saved and I am in the market for some night sights for a XD. I have done some research ...

Thread: Night Sights

Night Sights

Well I finally got some money saved and I am in the market for some night sights for a XD. I have done some research and am thinking of Trijicons. I was wondering if there other other brands that are better or ones that others would recomend over these. Also I was wondering how long they last I think it's 10 years but I was told a good set of sights should last longe. With that said whats the longest lasting sights out there? thanks for the help
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I've been going through the same decision/research myself for a Glock G20. My mind has changed daily since there are a lot of quality options out there. Most, if not all, use tritium, which should be good for 12 years or so.

I've found stock Glock NSs (mepros) for $50 which is tempting because of the deal and supposed ease of install. Lately though, I've been leaning towards Ameriglo Pro Series Operator NSs (green up front/yellow rear). From the pics I've seen they look great:
    Ameriglo Operator Pro Pics - Glock Talk

Still the mepros, specifically the Glock mepros seem like the safe play for me, especially for $50.

If I find a deal on the Ameriglos, I think I'm going with those though. Might even replace my stock Kahr PM9 NSs if I like them that much.

A different color front post is a great idea. I can't count the times I see three dots out front, but don't know which is which!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Yeah, IMO, it looks easier to line the sights up faster with two colors. Also, on the Ameriglos the front dot is a bigger than the rears. I like this approach/color combo setup better than the vertical dot type (Heinie Straight Eights?). Anybody have any advice on where to find a good deal on the Ameriglos?

Administrator
    Whichever ones you buy - make certain they are recent manufacture.
    All of the packages should have a Date Of Manufacture stamped on there someplace.
    Tritium sights tend to go "on sale" after they have been sitting on the shelf for a while.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't know anything about these but worth a look: TrugloTRITIUM/FIBER OPTIC

I would agree as previously stated go with a contrast between front and rear, I have a green fiber optic on my S&W 460 front black rear. The green draws my eye right to the front sight, just love it.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Whichever ones you buy - make certain they are recent manufacture.
    All of the packages should have a Date Of Manufacture stamped on there someplace.
    Tritium sights tend to go "on sale" after they have been sitting on the shelf for a while.
    Great tip, I wouldn't have thought about that and that could be a costly mistake
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The half-life of tritium is 12.32 years. So the night sight will be half as bright after 12 years as it was originally, a quarter as bright after 24 years, etc.

So the usable lifetime is probably well over 12 years, but they can fail early. I had one front sight die after a week or so and got it replaced under warranty---apparently it sprang a leak and lost its tritium.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure what's available for the XD but I have been using Trijicons for a long time and my latest set are green front with yellow rear... man, I REALLY like that combination!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    There are some called PT sites. They offer several colors and different shapes. I have a set of orange. They have lasted about 10 years. Sprinco USA - P-T Night Sights Check them out.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sponsored Links