An all expense paid vacation...

This is a discussion on An all expense paid vacation... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found out last week that I just won an all expense paid vacation to the sandbox! (Maybe, this week we found out we might ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An all expense paid vacation...

An all expense paid vacation...

I found out last week that I just won an all expense paid vacation to the sandbox! (Maybe, this week we found out we might not be going, we're on standby at the moment. I love the military- hurry up and wait!) I've got my Surefire (and a backup LED light for when I just need a flashlight). I've got a karambit as my knife, an CRKT M-16-14D (the four inch Tanto blade) as a utility knife (same one I use here as an EDC/utility knife), another CRKT knife, also a four inch that a buddy gave me "just in case." My boots are broken in, I've got plenty of baby wipes and toiletries. I've got some books to read, and paper to write home with. Am I forgetting anything?

A1C Lickey

2. Remove Ads

Cant say if your forgetting anything.. Hope ya dont have to go but if ya do stay safe

DC Founder
    Well, I echo Bud's sentiments, and if you do have to go, stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

And if I haven't said it before, thanks for your service!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    God Bless and Stay Safe.

From this old vet a piece of advise.

Don't try to do any damn heroic BS that gets you more into harms way.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Unlss you're a PJ or combat controller you shuld be living fairly well on a major airbase or other installation. Pack light, then once you find out your situation you can order things by mail online or have friends/ family send stuff to you.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

New Berretta magazines - the issue ones are falling apart over there. Some fed Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo in 9mm, if at all possible. Not HP, so should be "legal" for Hague Convention 1927, if you care, and more effective than ball....
    Compact, reusable sweat band....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

What KIND of Karambit? Do you have a multi tool?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    I've got my Surefire (and a backup LED light for when I just need a flashlight).
    From what I understand the Surefire will out last a lot of stuff you'll take oner there.

One of our EOD teams taped one on the arm of the robot used to check suspicious packages, for extra light at night. They sent this "expensive" robot up to the package and the package went off...... Destroying the robot! The did find the Surefire, and it still worked! It did need a new lens, the one that was on it got cracked in the detonation.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

You Lucky Dog!

All Expenses...PAID!
    Yep, you are forgetting something.
    Take a camera w/ you. We expect pics.
    Meanwhile...you should be able to get "on line" every once in a while. If/when you go...don't forget to "check in" & say Hi to your 1,000 (or so) friends here!
    Play Carefully! Come back safe.
    Oh...BTW ~ Can you bring me back one of those Gold Plated AK47s if you see one just sittin' around?
    :unitedsta:

Assistant Administrator
    If it turns out you DO have to go - as others said, stay in touch and as if I need say - watch that 6 at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by QK
    Can you bring me back one of those Gold Plated AK47s if you see one just sittin' around?
    Yep - da one wit da switch!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

To everyone I appreciate your concern and I'll do my best to both stay safe and stay in touch while I'm there.

I've just been told (I just left the range after qualifying on the M-16 again) that I won't be carrying a M9. I've also been told that it is very, very against the UCMJ to bring a personal weapon. (I so wanted to bring my 1911, just in case.)

Keeney, yes I've got a multi-tool. It's a no name knock off, but it works. It's served me for the past five years without any complaint. As for my karambit, it's a VTech folder. I've had a trainer that me and my sensai practice with and last week I finally found the VTech. It was affordable, and a folder, decent steel, and I won't be too angry if I mess it up or leave it in somebody.

I'm kind of glad that I had just gone out and bought another 512 flash card for my camera. I'm sure there are going to be some REALLY interesting pics from this trip.

Now for a slightly personal rant, why do people feel it neccesary to thank me whenever they here I'm in the service. Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of what I do, but I don't need to be thanked. I never know how to reply to that, especially when it's coming from vets. Alright, enough with my two cents.

Ok QK, I'll play carefully, but I don't have to play nice do I?
    I'll do my best on the gold plated AK's, but the first one is mine. OKay, okay, probably the second one too...

A1C Lickey

Am I forgetting anything?

A1C Lickey
    Sunblock?

As far as not wanting to be thanked: tough! And...thank you.

Come home safely and stay in touch.

SSKC

Lead Moderator
    Now for a slightly personal rant, why do people feel it neccesary to thank me whenever they here I'm in the service. Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of what I do, but I don't need to be thanked. I never know how to reply to that, especially when it's coming from vets. Alright, enough with my two cents.
    And here I thought I was the only one that thought that was weird.

The strangest was I ren into an Army recruter on the street one day (didn't know him) and he said, "you ready to join up?", I said, "20+ years was enough". He then shakes my hand and thanks me.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    As I see see it - and someone correct me if I am wrong - all guys who serve and have served - and thank heaven made it back - have had their very lives on the line for the rest of us.

They may see themselves as ''just doin' a job'' but I am more than aware of how little thanks many Nam Vets seemed to get - more often it was abuse or denigration my their fellow Americans.

Therefore - all the guys at the ''sharp end'', even from my POV as a newbie ''import'' are deserving of the thanks from the rest of us.

I have a son - need I say more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I don't think you have to say anything. It's a simple thanks for doing what you do. It's important, it's unappreciated and there are so many now saying, "Screw the country I'm not putting my ass on the line" or simply "Let someone else do it." At least those that thank you aren't spitting on you and calling you a baby killer, like some vets have experienced in the past. I expect you will most frequently hear it from those of us that have been in the military because we know that the job you do is rarely appreciated....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links