Sooooo---How do you figure?

This is a discussion on Sooooo---How do you figure? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay--I'm sure some of you will be glad I'm not posting a poll with this one--that way I won't leave out the important stuff. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooooo---How do you figure?

Sooooo---How do you figure?

Okay--I'm sure some of you will be glad I'm not posting a poll with this one--that way I won't leave out the important stuff. I see alot of posts, ads, suggestions, for sale pistols, etc.......where the seller, or main informant will tell that the stated firearm has seen xxxx number of rounds through it. Would that be in city miles, or highway miles? LOL!
    How do folks actually keep track of how many rounds for any of their owned (or previously owned) firearms? I mean, is it an educated guess? Do you really keep records on paper for each and every firearm that you own?
    When I see an ad in the local newspaper for a pistol or such and it states "fired only a few times", "less than 500 rounds", "LNIB-shot only a few times", "pistol has seen less than xxx", etc...etc....
    I fired a total of 150 rounds through my new G19 tonight. I'm never going to let it leave to go anywhere. Am I supposed to remember this in my mind for say the next couple months while my others see range time? Then go back and recollect how many before and add for after? If estimated---how close can one guess? Be it far from my mind that any individual, interested in selling their previously owned firearm would tell anything but the truth!
    So--without further ado----how closely can I estimate the information given? I can surely tell a used and abused (not cared for) firearm, but if I had to travel afar for something of interest-----how do YOU look into the horse's mouth?

2. Remove Ads

I am much more apt to believe a 50 rounds fired, or 100 rounds fired or 150 rounds fired than anything else. And that is probably because those guys bought 1-2 boxes of ammo and never shot it again.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

IMO, it doesn't matter. Just like when someone claims the 100K miles on their car are all highway, there's no real way to prove it.

I look at the condition of the pistol, just like I look at the condition of the car.

So a guy just told me he has 100k highway miles on his ten year old car, and I notice the rubber on the brake peddle is nearly down to the metal. I call B.S.

Same with a firearm. Guy says it only has 1000 rounds through it, but the finish is weathered, and slide to frame contact points are completely finish free....

Personally, I keep track by boxes of ammo purchased. It's easy for me, I save my receipts and write them off.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    IMO, it doesn't matter. Just like when someone claims the 100K miles on their car are all highway, there's no real way to prove it.

I look at the condition of the pistol, just like I look at the condition of the car.

So a guy just told me he has 100k highway miles on his ten year old car, and I notice the rubber on the brake peddle is nearly down to the metal. I call B.S.

Same with a firearm. Guy says it only has 1000 rounds through it, but the finish is weathered, and slide to frame contact points are completely finish free....

Personally, I keep track by boxes of ammo purchased. It's easy for me, I save my receipts and write them off.
    I'm down with all that. I mean, for instance, the ad read, the phone call, but driving say 60 miles just to look at it and judge? Talking up front perceptions here, and how well I could trust you for instance on the subject. Do you estimate to within say 500, do you round up to the hundreds, or are you conservative with your estimate?

i keep a logbook.

SA XD9- 2,116
    Glock 19- 455
    S&W M10- 295
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

VIP Member
    I actually keep track of range/shooting time, weapons used and ammo.
    I use the calendar in Microsoft Outlook as sort of a diary of not just appointments but activities.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Well I can tell you, I bought 3 50 rounds boxes for my .45 when I got it. I shot them all, and then I bought myself 500 rounds for Christmas. I have 1 box and a half left. So I can tell you to the round that my pistol has had 575 rounds through it.

Administrator
    I dont keep track in my pistols, everything I claim is an educated guess.

Rifles on the otherhand each have there own logbook. (excluding carbines like the AR or AK)
    "Just blame Sixto"

I keep a log at the range that is listed by caliber not gun...so...the particular weapon guess is an educated guess, but a close one.
    It doesn't really matter because...I'm NOT selling any of my guns, I just keep buying more.
    I only buy new, but I have considered a purchase from a few 'individuals'...like the cop down the street...he KNOWS his weapons and buys and sells them...I would trust his word, and he only buys and sells the good stuff.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I maintain a training log for all of my shooting activities. Other than that I buy ammo by the case. Easier to guess by the thousand.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I keep a basic log of which guns/ammo. Also, just tracking how much ammo I bought and what's left helps.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Yes, I keep a 'diet journal' for my guns. Pretty much just tracking type and number of rounds fired. If I loaded my own, I'd keep more detailed info on how they worked, too.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Sponsor
    I reload my ammo. I know how many bullets in .40, .32, .45 and 9mm that I purchased. I know how many I have on the shelf. Since I don't loan out my weapons and never buy ammo on the spot, I can safely estimate my throughput as close as to within 50 rounds.
    This is still just an estimate but it is fairly accurate and reliable enough to say that I have 2600 rounds through my M&P40c and 1500 through my Steyr M9A1. I haven't counted my stock of .32 or .45 lately as they do not see the range time that the others do.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I take a W.A.G.

My current CCW has about 3K through it since I got it back in Oct. The pistol it replaced, another 5" 1911, probably has 25,K. I don't even try to keep track of the range-only guns.

I keep a spreadsheet log on all my guns. I record seriels, ammo brands used, round count, date, etc.

I track mileage on my truck, for maintenance reasons, why not do so on the guns too? way to easy to just open the spreadsheet, enter the numbers, save and close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links