Alumagrips Screws Loosening

This is a discussion on Alumagrips Screws Loosening within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had several guys over the past few years tell me they were having problems with their grip screws working loose after a long day ...

Thread: Alumagrips Screws Loosening

Alumagrips Screws Loosening

I've had several guys over the past few years tell me they were having problems with their grip screws working loose after a long day shooting. Of course, Alumagrips do not "give" like softer materials, so the vibrations can indeed work them loose. For years I've been advising folks to get #60 "O" rings in the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowes. I finally remembered to discuss this with my friend Chris, the owner/manufacturer of Alumagrips. He's got some other options. He recommends PURPLE LocTite on the grip screws and blue on the bushings. The purple holds just tight enough, and can easily be removed without disrupting the bushings. Chris also sent me some special "O" rings that are flat, and seat down smoothly in the recess of the grip panel on top of the bushing. When the grip screw is tightened, nothing squeezes out around the screw like my old plumbing rings did. They act like a lock washer.

Another concern brought to Chris was from a guy who's frame finish became worn in spots against the Alumagrips. It isn't just Alumagrips that causes the wear spots on the frame. Grips have been doing this for years before Alumagrips ever came on the market. Since all my 1911's are stainless, I've never noticed, and no one has brought this to my attention. Ever vigilant, Chris invented a micro-thin spacer that goes between the grips and the frame. They are almost invisible in the photo below. I installed a set tonight, worried that they might make the grips stick out a little or cause a shadow line. They do neither.

Three great solutions to unforseen problems brought forth from owners. Chris really does provide great customer service!

Tracy

Last edited by AZ Husker; March 6th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good informative thread AZ.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Nice work, thanks for posting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Great information. I suspect that in aluminum framed models, along with vibration being a concern, that the metal expands a little when it warms up, allowing the screw to loosen. I notice that mine do loosen on occasion. I was going to try green loctite.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Thanks I just installed some of these grips onto my 229, I will look for the plastic liners. The metal grips sure are cold in minus zero temps!!

Links