I love the smell of OC in the morning....

This is a discussion on I love the smell of OC in the morning.... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ....it smells, like victory ! I replace my wife's and my OC annually. We then use one of the old canisters for practice/refresher training. Just ...

Thread: I love the smell of OC in the morning....

....it smells, like victory!

I replace my wife's and my OC annually. We then use one of the old canisters for practice/refresher training. Just got the new stuff yesterday (I like Fox Labs) and since neither of us had to get going too early today, we broke out ye 'olde cardboard silhouette and went out back. Good opportunity to review the capabilities and limitations of the product as well as the proper tactical deployment. Also, enough dew on the ground to provide some reminder of and feedback to the effectiveness of the OC.....

Since my wife just (finally) completed her CCW course and should have her permit shortly, I was finally able to talk about the use of OC in the context of someone who also has a lethal option available to them..... She had questioned the need to continue to carry OC when armed with a handgun, so I was able to explain the importance of having a viable non-lethal alternative available as well as discuss the tactical deployment of two different weapons if the need arose. The old adage being, "if your only tool is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail."

Overall, a good start to the day.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    The old adage being, "if your only tool is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail."
    Excellent words to remember and ones I use all the time.

I learned the hard way not to leave a canister in the car in Phoenix in the summer.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I learned the hard way not to leave a canister in the car in Phoenix in the summer.

i had a friend toss his can in the back of a truck and hit a nail. 3 feet from my face. i was toast for over an hour.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

My partner had one of the old tall cans upright instead of upside down on his right hip. The seatbelt buckle discharged the whole can while he was driving.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Great quote David. "If your only tool is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail."

VIP Member
    good, I'm not the only one that wants to do this....
    our OC is "expired" now too and I'm ordering new canisters, I was planning on letting the wife spray her little keychain variety as well as our 2oz and 4 oz cans to practice
    why not, better than just throwing it in the trash
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I learned the hard way about the effectiveness of OC during one of those 'I bet you cant' nights with a few buddies after a week in the field... The dumb things Marines do

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    ....it smells, like victory!
    The old adage being, "if your only tool is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail."

Overall, a good start to the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Excellent words to remember and ones I use all the time.
    Yeah, Good quote. I wonder though, if we wouldn't have so many nails to deal with if we used the hammer more often, rather than bowing to all the "elected" dimwits.

Then again it's the determined attackers that I'm worried about and I don't trust OC or tasers or anything else of that sort to do anything more than tick off a determined attacker. I think I'd be better off going hand to hand and breaking limbs and other valuable body parts. That's what I trained for and what I KNOW works. OC isn't going to disable a determined attacker. For your average numbskull yes, but not the ones that are die-hard determined to get to you. Broken legs, arms, missing eyeballs, etc... do tend to end the fight.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

testing your OC is a great idea.
    When I buy a new batch I always get a couple of extra to test it spread and distance...
    You also find out about blow back...damn, that stuff can burn!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I bought the Spitfire spray and 2 practice canisters.

See product info at: Spitfire, LTD. Self-defense pepper spray device against attacks, crime, mugging

That stuff is not fun. Just remember a few rules with OC
    1. it's better to give then recieve. (you use it and your partner and even you might get some...wind)
    2. This goes double if used indoors.
    3. Some cry like little girls and some pretty much laugh it off. depends on the person(s) state of mind.
    Not a bad idea to get into an OC class, if you can. Biggest lesson you will learn is how it feels. I'm not much for spicy foods so I was slow in recovery and my eyes where bright red for a full day.

Links